Super Billiards Exposition March 13- 16th 2008

Str8Ball9

Registered
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Thinking about going to the Expo for the first time. Should I save my pennies to buy a cue there? Are the prices fair or are they bloated for the Expo? Any pre-owned cues available? Do the vendors have players' cues available or is it all Show pieces? Can you test hit? I'm looking for a playing cue and don't want to spend zilly dollars on Ivory that won't make the ball spin any better. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and I'll hang up to listen.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Str8Ball9 said:

Thinking about going to the Expo for the first time. Should I save my pennies to buy a cue there? Are the prices fair or are they bloated for the Expo? Any pre-owned cues available? Do the vendors have players' cues available or is it all Show pieces? Can you test hit? I'm looking for a playing cue and don't want to spend zilly dollars on Ivory that won't make the ball spin any better. Any advice is appreciated.

Lots of nice cues there, new and used. I don't think the prices are especially bloated, but it never hurts to negotiate a bit (though I'm a terrible negotiator). I'm usually gone by then, but I hear the real bargains are found on Sunday as people are getting ready to pack up and would like to pack up less. A few booths have tables for test hitting, most of the other cue makers and sellers have arrangements to use these tables also. I've never been refused a request to test hit with a cue yet, of course, I haven't requested to hit with a 20K Balabuska either. :)

Str8Ball9

Registered
catscradle said:
Lots of nice cues there, new and used. I don't think the prices are especially bloated, but it never hurts to negotiate a bit (though I'm a terrible negotiator). I'm usually gone by then, but I hear the real bargains are found on Sunday as people are getting ready to pack up and would like to pack up less. A few booths have tables for test hitting, most of the other cue makers and sellers have arrangements to use these tables also. I've never been refused a request to test hit with a cue yet, of course, I haven't requested to hit with a 20K Balabuska either. :)

Rep to you sir (not sure what that does but hey I'm going to hit the button) Thanks for the tip about Sunday. Just going to make a daytrip in and out so Sunday it will be.
icon14.gif

No plans for me to hit a 20K cue either :D - I guess I don't even have the nerve to hit a Ivory loaded Scruggs, although I'd like to feel what all the hype is about. I understand vendors/makers being protective of their stuff.

According to a few posters on here, I just need to stay away from the Mike Sigel booth - Guess you're not allowed to touch their cues unless you got 6K in your pocket.:rolleyes:

Thanks again:)

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Str8Ball9 said:

Man, you're going to the right place. There are a ton of cuemakers there with tons of cues that range from entry level to "zilly" :D dollars.
The only advice I would give you is try out as many different makers as you possibly can and then decide.
One other possibility would be, if a cuemaker you really like doesn't have what you are looking, you could simply talk to them about pricing one to be made. I can tell you that, for example, Andy Gilbert was there last year with some of the most beautiful cues you have ever seen. None were low dollar cues but if you really like Andy's work you could always talk to him and find out how much an entry level cue would cost.

Hope this is helpful.

Koop

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Str8Ball9 said:
Rep to you sir (not sure what that does but hey I'm going to hit the button) Thanks for the tip about Sunday. Just going to make a daytrip in and out so Sunday it will be.
icon14.gif

No plans for me to hit a 20K cue either :D - I guess I don't even have the nerve to hit a Ivory loaded Scruggs, although I'd like to feel what all the hype is about. I understand vendors/makers being protective of their stuff.

According to a few posters on here, I just need to stay away from the Mike Sigel booth - Guess you're not allowed to touch their cues unless you got 6K in your pocket.:rolleyes:

Thanks again:)

The only thing I can't speak to is how soon things slow down on Sunday since I'm on the road. Maybe some other posters can address that issue for you.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
per jeeves "I unfortunatley will not be putting on the party this year . I do look forward to saying hello to everyone when I get the chance. For those who have attended in the past, check out
http://jeevesnfriends.com thanks david"

great pics of expo and party over 6 year period. jeeves, thanks for that bottle of 30 year old single malt you had tucked under the table. it's long gone but the memories are not.

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super Billiards Expo

Hi all,
Hope to see everyone there. Come by booth L9 downstairs and chat a while and see the cues I have to offer. Hope we don't get snowed out like last year. Drive safely to and from.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
TripXQ said:
Hi all,
Hope to see everyone there. Come by booth L9 downstairs and chat a while and see the cues I have to offer. Hope we don't get snowed out like last year. Drive safely to and from.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:

Don't even remind me of that please.
One entertaining think I saw though was a beautiful black, shiny BMW sitting about 1/3 out of a parking spot with his on the snow bank and his drive wheels sitting in mid-air. LMAO. Probably some fool drunk came out and thought he could just drive over the snow (ice) bank.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Surrogate Party

Jeeves, Valley Forge will NOT be the same without you and YOUR party.

That said we will probably be having some party action at the Sterling/Fury/Blaze Booth

Upper level - Special Events Arena.

We will have a whiteboard with a corkboard there for any members of any forums who want to post old-school style in real life.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
JB Cases said:

That said we will probably be having some party action at the Sterling/Fury/Blaze Booth

We will have a whiteboard with a corkboard there for any members of any forums who want to post old-school style in real life.

So will you be all mic'd up and have all the wild and crazy events going on?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
catscradle said:
So will you be all mic'd up and have all the wild and crazy events going on?

Something like that - maybe not as crazy but who knows?

Personally I hope to be presenting our new lines of cases and showing off some wicked JB Cases rather than filling the MC position.

I think that Bobby Weimar and Jose Burgos will be taking care of the that part most of the time.

If any of you all are players that are interested in playing on the BLAZE tour we will be hopefully having some challenge matches and other events with tour entries as prizes.

Jeeves

you are in range!!!
Silver Member
Back to the top with one month to go.

A long as we are healthy it should be fun. or we will all be getting sick again .:D From too much.................pool, not!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeeves said:
A long as we are healthy it should be fun. or we will all be getting sick again .:D From too much.................pool, not!

The countdown is killing me :)

Koop - confirmed and ready to go

Str8Ball9

Registered
Just saw the list of Vendors/Cuemakers... WOW:eek:

Will anyone be there to do repairs? Just curious.

Oh and do they take credit cards?

Can't wait to go for the first time!:)

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Several

Str8Ball9 said:
Will anyone be there to do repairs? Just curious.

Last year there were several cuemakers set up to do repairs. I had Steve Lomax do some work for me.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
JB Cases said:

I must say John, your booth kicked ass 2 years ago. Had a great time hanging there.