The Best Ever List of Pool Nicknames

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Tall Paul" is tall and "Poker Paul" can play. But "Jack The Track" blew all his cash playing the ponies. :)
Sadly "Patcheye" Jaffar Basheer only has one good eye, but "One Eyed Tony" Howard was a serious player!
"Youngblood" James Brown looked young until he hit 50, and "Young Hoppe" Allen Hopkins finally grew out of that name.
"The Deacon" was Irving Crane and he was quite dignified, but "Preacher Red" Charles Jones was not!
Maurice "Tugboat Whaley" used boating attire to lure suckers, but "Showboat Joe" Cromleigh preferred to teach them new shots.

Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
jay helfert said:
"Tall Paul" is tall and "Poker Paul" can play. But "Jack The Track" blew all his cash playing the ponies. :)
Sadly "Patcheye" only has one good eye, but "One Eyed Tony" Howard was a serious player!

Peru Paul...RIP. Good call Jay

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
Waterdog was Donnie Edwards from Waterbury CT. His mother was an addict and he was born an addict-He died an addict maybe 2 years ago.

Two more for ya-Beer Belly Bob-Neil the Mooch.

The last time I saw the Waterdog was in Denver many years ago. It was in the middle of the summer, 95 degrees plus and he was wearing that long black leather coat. Long stringy hair that looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in months.

He was playing a guy some cheap 8 ball in a bar and went to the mens room. After several minutes someone went to check on him and he was passed out on a comode with a needle in his arm.

He was quite a sight.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Voodoo Daddy said:
No one posted it yet?

"Lotsa Poppa", was a decent back room one pocket player and had a great singing voice. He was a large black dude and I NEVER saw him without a jogging suit on, LOL!

Steve "The Whale" was just as big and played nearly as well. I wonder if they ever met and matched up???

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
jay helfert said:
Steve "The Whale" was just as big and played nearly as well. I wonder if they ever met and matched up???

Funny you mention the Whale...I grew up in Miami, played pool all over the tri-country area and was always known to my local friends as Big Steve. When I first got online my screen name was Big Steve, old skool pool players thought I was the Whale!!! Ask Fran Crimi that story, she will die laughing

Anyway, I was a good customer of Abe Rich of Star Cue for decades, the years werent so good to him memory wise and one day I went to his shop to buy some of his sneaky petes. He looks at me and sez "Your the Whale, you owe me money", pulls a .25ACP outta his desk drawer and points it at me!! I laughed and told him that the Whale had been dead <at that time> about 5-6 yrs and Im not the Whale. I had to leave because he was going to call the law, HAHAHAHAHA. What a life...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny "Rags" Fitzpatrick was one of the greats of his era, just like Buddy "Rags" Hall was in his era. And Robert "Rags" Woods was one of the greatest black players. Glen "Piggy Banks" Rogers is a bank pool wizard, but "No Money Tony" Banks was a world champion bite artist. "Earthquake" Keith McCready played awfully good but he couldn't break like "Hurricane" Tony Ellin or shoot as fast as "Tornado" Tony Drago. "Machine Gun Lou" Butera may have shot even faster than "Machine Gun Luc" Salvas.

Last edited:

androd

androd
Silver Member
nicks

alibi al (lost a 4 story dance studio in NYC, one floor at a time) or so he told me.
topwater.
dirty lee (mechanic)
the sniper (james christopher)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
androd said:
alibi al (lost a 4 story dance studio in NYC, one floor at a time) or so he told me.
topwater.
dirty lee (mechanic)

"Alibi Al" had an excuse for every loss, but at least he didn't complain like "Crying Sam" from Oklahoma.
"The Sniper" picked off more marks than "The Springfield Rifle" Jim Relihan ever did. But "The Rifleman" Buddy Hall was the best shooter of the bunch.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please redeem yourself after causing the decline of 3c in the USA...:) :wink: :embarrassed2:

Which Rags was from DC?

jay helfert said:
Johnny "Rags" Fitzpatrick was one of the greats of his era, just like Buddy "Rags" Hall was in his era. And Robert "Rags" Woods was one of the greatest black players. Glen "Piggy Banks" Rogers is a bank pool wizard, but "No Money Tony" Banks was a world champion bite artist. "Earthquake" Keith McCready played awfully good but he couldn't break like "Hurricane" Tony Ellin or shoot as fast as "Tornado" Tony Drago. "Machine Gun Lou" Butera may have shot even faster than "Machine Gun Luc" Salvas.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Don Edwards, aka Waterdog, traveled around quite a bit, his 'home base' for much of his adult life, was Chicago...and the place where he passed away.

Another "dog" not mentioned, is Underdog...Dave Chartier, from California.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

ironman said:
The last time I saw the Waterdog was in Denver many years ago. It was in the middle of the summer, 95 degrees plus and he was wearing that long black leather coat. Long stringy hair that looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in months.

He was playing a guy some cheap 8 ball in a bar and went to the mens room. After several minutes someone went to check on him and he was passed out on a comode with a needle in his arm.

He was quite a sight.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
androd said:
topwater.
dirty lee (mechanic)
Alibi Al aka Continental Al

One of my favorites "Pegleg Joe". A good number of years ago he came over to me as said, Hey Frank, do people call me Pegleg Joe? I kinda looked away to hide the expression on my face and said I think so. The truth is that I've known or many years that was his nickname. I guessed no one had actually told him. He was surprised.

Some people don't know they have a nickname.

cmssuits

"Hi, I'm Jimmy P!"
Silver Member
Sod

We had a guy we used to call "Sod", as in Sod Head. He was an engineer, but couldn't shoot a lick and made many poor decisions on the table.

Occasionally he would make a spectacular shot or accidentally slop in a break shot playing 14.1 and someone would invariably look at his dejected opponent and loudly announce "You've been SOD-O-MIZED!" :D

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some nicknames of folks that played in the areas I've lived in -

"Lettuce" Larry
"Big Wave" Dave
"Tortilla" Gus
"Two Dollar" Don
"Action Bob"
"Shakey" Dave
"Marathon" Marvin

I tried to give out a nickname to a gal posting here as CHRIM - Connie "the Detroit Destroyer". I think she liked it but it didn't catch on.

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Voodoo remember these from the Miami/Hollywood area from years ago:
"Airport" Steve
"Burger King" Jeff
"Handsome" Billy
Danny "the sandman" Christian
"Crying" Brian
"Big Randy"
My all time favorite nickname was given to road agent Steve Shaw, "Cat Head". I also like Scott "Goofy" Hafley, if you see him you will know why. LOL

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
Please redeem yourself after causing the decline of 3c in the USA...:) :wink: :embarrassed2:

Which Rags was from DC?

Why Rags Fitzpatrick of course.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
JG-in-KY said:
Hey Voodoo remember these from the Miami/Hollywood area from years ago:
"Airport" Steve
"Burger King" Jeff
"Handsome" Billy
Danny "the sandman" Christian
"Crying" Brian
"Big Randy"
My all time favorite nickname was given to road agent Steve Shaw, "Cat Head". I also like Scott "Goofy" Hafley, if you see him you will know why. LOL

"Crazy" Bruce was from Miami also. When you read my book, you will have a better idea how he was so aptly named.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
dabarbr said:
Alibi Al aka Continental Al

One of my favorites "Pegleg Joe". A good number of years ago he came over to me as said, Hey Frank, do people call me Pegleg Joe? I kinda looked away to hide the expression on my face and said I think so. The truth is that I've known or many years that was his nickname. I guessed no one had actually told him. He was surprised.

Some people don't know they have a nickname.

Ever heard of Frank "The Barber", famous for trimming wallets. :D