The best room consensus.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
part of going in and hanging in a pool room is seeing action and being in action. if it's all bangers and fun players great for the place but isn't my idea of a pool room but just an entertainment center for the masses.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
part of going in and hanging in a pool room is seeing action and being in action. if it's all bangers and fun players great for the place but isn't my idea of a pool room but just an entertainment center for the masses.

I have to agree. These places are family centers or something like that that happen to have pool tables. I have went in one of these a half-dozen times or so now. Clean, bright, well lit, some half decent stuff hanging on the walls, friendly people. I would be hard pressed to say anything was wrong with any of them.

I never actually hit a ball in any of these wonderful places. I think it wasn't what they had but what they were missing. They didn't have a soul.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my view if a room wants to be in the running, it needs:

Lots of 9-foot pool tables. 10-foot optional. 7-foot small negative. ;)
10-foot heated carom and 12-foot snooker (not golf) tables. (Golf table optional)​
Reasonable food -- doesn't have to be gourmet but enough to get you through a long session or tournament.​
A tournament room/area with several rows of seating​
Leagues and tournaments with top pros showing up​

I don't think there are many like that. I do know of at least one.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
problem is that is a great room but wont make money for such a large space when they can fill it with small tables, tv's and such and pack the place with drinkers and bangers playing four or five on a table.

the pool room world has changed unless we get a giant chain to open places with a compromise. kind of like the old guys and dolls and other pool room chains that are now long gone.

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chattanooga Billiards Club. I’ve been going there for 15 years. The gciv I’ve played on every time I’m there plays perfect. It always plays perfect. It is always clean. All the tables look like that. It’s classy, but not too much. It is the perfect blend of date night and being a players room.

It stays packed. It’s a true poolroom. It’s not a sports bar, but it stays packed. Table time and bar tab are stealing considering the modern economy.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite room in recent years is Amazin Billiards in Boston. Everyone is a player. Stays busy on all the billiard disciplines. Action. Owner is a carom pro. Houseman plays anyone. Top notch Gold Crown 4's. 4 or 5 heated 10' carom tables. 12' Snooker table. Weekly local tournaments and also many regional events.

Last edited:

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Shout out to Cue & Cushion in St. Louie.
Old school hall from the 60s. Big tables. Snooker, heated carom and billiards. Most knowledgeable staff in the industry. Over 50 years of memorabilia on the walls. Enuf to keep bangers staring for hours. Sigel and Wilson just held court there and a road dawg or two might just haunt the place. Never know who or what will come thru the door. I mean that in a good way. Lol.
And it has that smell...
Money. Lol.