The most impressive pool playing that you have ever witnessed?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie...I saw that match too! I was just talking about that match yesterday to a couple of guys at Crooked Cue. I thought it was chuggin a beer after every rack, which would have been less than every 15 minutes! LOL I watched in amazement at how those two could play drunk as they were! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

But, that might not be the most impressive. I'd have to put the Bobby Pickle vs Jason Kirkwood match where every fifteen minutes, each would have to chug a beer. The fact that Jason was still standing after the match (Bobby was not) was pretty damned impressive!!!

Freddie <~~~ not easily impressed

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie...I saw that match too! I was just talking about that match yesterday to a couple of guys at Crooked Cue. I thought it was chuggin a beer after every rack, which would have been less than every 15 minutes! LOL I watched in amazement at how those two could play drunk as they were! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

We need a video of that.....never heard about it.

Ken

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Its one thing to watch pro's do stuff on tv, and its a whole other thing to see it from 5 feet away. Amazing.

I agree. You don't get the same experience watching great players on video or tv as you get watching them in person.

I remember the first time I saw Efren play in person. It was at HardTimes in Bellflower, CA, and I was used to watching and playing against all the top players from SoCal.

Watching Efren play was like watching a mysterious and magicical cueball, as if it had a mind of its own and was just dancing around the table on its own from shot to shot. It seemed like he would barely touch the cueball, and yet it would glide five or six feet to get in perfect line for the next shot, time after time.

It reminded me of Eddie Felson's description of the artistry and beauty of watching Fats play for the first time in The Hustler.

Efren played a 10-ball ring game on the left front table on the tournament side, with very tight pockets. It was just a $10 ring game, and the rule for Efren was that if he pocketed the 10 to win a game on that same shot he had to get the cueball back behind the headstring and break from wherever the cueball ended up (if he didn't get the cueball behind the headstring the next guy broke).

Efren ran four racks this way, just before the ring game broke up, and three times in a row after pocketing the 10 he drew the cueball back five feet or so up table and landed within 2-3 inches behind the headstring for the next break.

GoldenFlash

Banned
Best matches I ever saw.

#1 Watching Wimpy Lassiter giving Joe Cosgrove the 8, (winner breaks), and busting Joe and his backers (including me) at table number one Big Town Billiards, Atlanta Ga. around 1955.
Then seeing Lassiter do the same thing to Danny Jones the next day.

#2 Seeing Squirrel Carpenter giving Ronnie Allen 9-7 in one pocket, Atlanta Ga., Marietta Street Billiards, 1963 (?) and sending Ronnie and the carnival man into tap city.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
We need a video of that.....never heard about it.

Ken
It was the first year of TAR (IIRC) at the DCC.. I don't know if the cameras ever pointed to Bobby and Jason. It was on the one bar box in the green room.

Freddie

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Thorsten Hohmann at 2005 14.1 European Championships. IIRC, 10 matches race to 125 in 25 innings. Three times 125-out. Averaged 50.0 for the whole tournament.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well not long ago Cliff Joyner gave me 9to4 with me breaking,picking my 4 after the break,and paying off after every game

i also watch gregg stevens run out till i was dry as a bone

Louie roberts put me in a similar coma spotting me the purple crunch,not that i ever won a game

but MIke Massey gave me the 7 on a bar box,played one handed and ran 4 racks putting me out for the count,it was impressive enough for me to quit pool and go to work

Thank you,Mike

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Road player comes in town and plays my friend on a really tight table. Wins the flip and breaks + runs out the race to 7.

We pay off and friend says flip it as the road player was unscrewing his cue thinking that his action had dried up.

Granted the road player is a top speed player, and my friend was the 7 under a shortstop, but a solid banker and could run out.

PoolChump

Banned
Shotmaker, Trick Shots, World Class Playing

Shotmaker:
Many years ago I witnessed an unknown pool player shoot some awesome shots from everywhere without getting position.

Trick Shots:
Witnessed trick shots for the first time made by Mike Massey.

World Class Playing:
Buddy Hall. He moves the cue ball around the table for position the correct way. No fancy 5 rail shots, just simple correct angle and speed control accurate shots.

RonRosas

Banned
And Then..

I believe it was 1975 which would make Keith about 17 or so Sacramento, Not at Terry's but I believe some motel that was holding a tournament. It was about 2 in the morning, no one was playing and all the top players in the world were milling around doing nothing. Probably there were maybe 300 or so spectators waiting for something to happen. Suddenly from the far bleachers a skinny scrawny pimply face kid stands up and yells out."Who wants to play? I seen you guys on TV, read about you in the papers and I'm saying not one of you guys got a hear larger than a Beebee." Silence. Every one looked up to see who was doing the yelling. I didn't know so I asked the guy next to me who it was. "That's Keith from LA," the guy said. "He can play with any of these guys, don't worry about that." A few minutes later, After a brief huddle of all the top players, Louie Roberts waves a wad of cash at Keith and says lets play. Keith practically bowled everyone over as he scrambled down the bleachers to the nearest pool table. They decided to play 7 ahead for $5000. Everyone rushed for a good spot to watch the match.. This was great. 7 ahead could take all nite. I got a good spot right by the table and settled in for a long match. Never happened. They flipped a coin for the break. Keith. won and Louie racked the balls. Keith then ran 7 racks. Louie never shot. Took less than 10 minutes. Greatest pool shooting I ever saw, especially after Keith did all the barking to get the game and then backed it up.

And then I took it from Keith, LOL! Ha!

Attachments

• 11024648_1558915517727224_3815588336705789942_n.jpg
    11024648_1558915517727224_3815588336705789942_n.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 388
  • 1926902_1378028482482596_7735875710425054609_n.jpg
    1926902_1378028482482596_7735875710425054609_n.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_180302366886056.jpg
    IMG_180302366886056.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 388
  • runouts.jpg
    runouts.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 389
  • ron.jpg
    ron.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 387

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1998 US Open Nine Ball
I was one of the first people to get there that wasn't affiliated and one of the last to leave I watched every Buddy Hall match all week long.
I never saw anybody with the cueball control he had before that or since.
I don't remember him missing a shot more than a few times all week.
Mighty impressive display.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In person: Shane vs. Biado in the CSI 2013 U.S. Open 8-ball championship. Shane and Carlos traded break & runs for something like the first 20 racks! An incredible demonstration from both players! SJM was also there in the audience and can, I'm sure, better remember how many racks it was.

On video:

Shane's total domination of Corey in their first TAR match. Shane made it look like he was playing the six ball ghost on a bar box....seemed like he was making 2-3 balls on every break and squatting the rock too. Simply incredible!

Last edited:

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think-

It was the first year of TAR (IIRC) at the DCC.. I don't know if the cameras ever pointed to Bobby and Jason. It was on the one bar box in the green room.

Freddie

I think I happened upon that match and caught some of it 2008 Executive W.
- AND the follow up to their match the next year at the Horseshoe- got Pickle taking off his t-shirt and playing shirtless too :grin-square:

@raisingthehustl
#raisingthehustler
#pooldocumentary
#poolordie

Bossman225

Registered
For me, I witnessed a friend of mine in florida several years ago, not gonna mention his name but I sat and watched him play the 10 ball ghost for $50 a game and broke and ran 15 straight racks without taking ball in hand. I also witness this same person play johnny archer on one of the Viking tour tournaments and beat archer 7-1 for the hill and 7-2 in the finals when archer I think was ranked #1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a good one. Four B&R's on 9 breaks for SVB and 7 B&R's on 9 breaks for Ko Ping-Chung, with alternating breaks.

But that wasn't even the best-played match of the event -- http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=370576

I knew you would have the stats!

I followed your link, but this wasn't clear to me - which match do you think had the highest level of play by both players?

As an aside, not including a dry break as an error in the TPA (at least in 8b) is a mistake by Accu-Stats, (IMO).

Gideon