Three 3 Best Cue Makers in the World

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides pool cues, I own a few tool watches -- a Breitling Navitimer GMT, Omega Seamaster 300M chrono, Longines Chrono Moonphase, and two Lum-Tec microbrands. Out of all of them, the 2010 Lum-Tec M28 tungsten power-reserve is my favorite and daily beater since I've bashed it into just about everything, and it still looks virtually brand new :) Even keeps time within COSC specs despite its age. Only 50 were made, so I won't be seeing many out there. It's the least expensive of the bunch, yet delivers the most usability since I don't have to worry about dings or scratches.

Many pool cues look great, but some just have that extra "ping" that many of us adore.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides pool cues, I own a few tool watches -- a Breitling Navitimer GMT, Omega Seamaster 300M chrono, Longines Chrono Moonphase, and two Lum-Tec microbrands. Out of all of them, the 2010 Lum-Tec M28 tungsten power-reserve is my favorite and daily beater since I've bashed it into just about everything, and it still looks virtually brand new :) Even keeps time within COSC specs despite its age. Only 50 were made, so I won't be seeing many out there.
Kabob with garlic sauce and Tabasco is what I'm thinking.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard is still making cues. I’ve seen 2 in the last year that were near completion. I did not ask, but I’m pretty sure both were low-to-mid 5 figures. Breathtaking.
I think there's another guy in his shop making the lower end stuff, though. Can't remember his name.

chenjy9

Besides pool cues, I own a few tool watches -- a Breitling Navitimer GMT, Omega Seamaster 300M chrono, Longines Chrono Moonphase, and two Lum-Tec microbrands. Out of all of them, the 2010 Lum-Tec M28 tungsten power-reserve is my favorite and daily beater since I've bashed it into just about everything, and it still looks virtually brand new :) Even keeps time within COSC specs despite its age. Only 50 were made, so I won't be seeing many out there. It's the least expensive of the bunch, yet delivers the most usability since I don't have to worry about dings or scratches.

Many pool cues look great, but some just have that extra "ping" that many of us adore.

Wow, nice collection! I only have a Grand Seiko Snowflake and Seiko SARB33.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If we are digging great names of the past, there are few way above some names mentioned .
Harvey Martin . The father of West Coast Cuemakers .
Bil Stroud, the pioneer of cnc use in cue making. First to use the gun drill . First to core through forearms and handles .
Thomas Wayne: Nobody has come up with more intricate designs way before very advanced cnc machines . Did it with very early versions of cnc's.
Burton Spain and Ed Petersen . Both geniuses .

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
These are young people on here. They don’t know how much of an impact Meucci was to the sport.

A pioneer of cue making then came Predator.

There are levels to this. XYZ cue builder doesn’t compare to industry pioneers.
What did he innovate ?

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did he innovate ?

I remember being introduced to Meucci in the mid-80's by a college pool hall old-timer, and it easily cranked out more spin than any other cue had used to that point. I also remember Bob Meucci being among the first to ever mention the term "cue ball deflection." I had never heard of that term before reading the Meucci sales catalogs.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I always thought Predator was to cues what Sketchers is to shoes. And what exactly is a "self-made engineer"?

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think there's another guy in his shop making the lower end stuff, though. Can't remember his name.
Yes, as JusticeNJ said, Scott Gilmore does all the repairs on Richard’s cues now. He’s authorized by Richard. He also has his own brand, Gilmore Cues.

He is no longer housed with Richard, though. Richard has downsized and primarily just takes orders that interest him. Scott has a fairly large shop with various types of lathes and other machines I’m not really familiar with. I do believe he and Richard still visit each other’s shops fairly regularly.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I’m thinking playability or are we talking about a beauty contest!
There is no standard or stock criteria for cues that evaluates playability from one person to another. What the hell is that to begin with? I've seen and played with battered house cues off the rack that looked like they were ready for the dump play great in the right hands.

Are they solid? Yes, very. Is the hit good? Yes. Do balls go in? Yes. Are they cues that someone would want to bang hard on the side rail after missing a shot? Only if they're an idiot with a lot of money. Are they miracle workers for hack players? NO!
Do they come with graphite shafts? NO! Buy them separately elsewhere. That WILL affect the playability. Good? Bad?
I don't know. It's all individual taste.

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no standard or stock criteria for cues that evaluates playability from one person to another. What the hell is that to begin with? I've seen and played with battered house cues off the rack that looked like they were ready for the dump play great in the right hands.

Are they solid? Yes, very. Is the hit good? Yes. Do balls go in? Yes. Are they cues that someone would want to bang hard on the side rail after missing a shot? Only if they're an idiot with a lot of money. Are they miracle workers for hack players? NO!
Do they come with graphite shafts? NO! Buy them separately elsewhere. That WILL affect the playability. Good? Bad?
I don't know. It's all individual taste.
You missed the point. Try again after you sober up.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean the cues where the points are painted on lol. I do like their shafts and break cues though.
Most of them are real wood points throughout. Plus, I don't have to worry about chasing down a cue maker for 10 years to get the cue or my money back.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's amazing to me, (and not just because I'm from Chicago) that No One has mentioned a cue builder with the innovative G10 pin. Joey Gold (Cognoscenti cues). He most likely makes the straightest/precision fitting/solid hitting cues.

IMPO, all the above builders mentioned have a (specialty aspect) about their cues. Whether it be, the shafts, inlays, woods, personal attention to customers.
All of Joey's cues look like the same CNC program on every cue.

Ken

m00sebumps

I won't say the best because honestly I really don't know but has anyone ever heard of Eddie O'Bryant of Studiotronics? I came across his youtube channel one day and thought his details were pretty darn crazy. But what do i know lol? I'm just a regular type dude over here.