US Open - Earl not allowed to use earplugs

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone besides Earl.... Yes.... Most of the time, Earl shoots the next shot in under 15 seconds.... lol But I do see your point... I would love to see a match with Earl and whoever on a 15 second shot clock....

About one year and a half ago there was an exhibition match between Tony Drago and Joshua Filler with 15sec shot clock. Joshua won 6:4. If Joshua played Earl in such match (15sec shot clock) my money would probably be on Joshua, Joshua has a firepower Earl had 15-20 years ago..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i88IKS-A78E

Last edited:

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's set the record straight.
Here are the official rules:
V. Dress Code
Dress-type shirt (with or without a collar) or a dress-type sweater
Dress slacks; no sweat pants, warm-up pants, jogging pants, cargo pants, or jeans
Dark shoes or dark-colored tennis or walking-type shoes; no white or light colored soles; no sandals, slippers or open-toed shoes
No headphones, earphones, earplugs, iPod, Bluetooth devices, hats, caps, or headgear Hearing aids are permitted.
Note: Any dress code exception to the above requires a medical doctor’s note and must be approved by the Tournament Director prior to the Tournament.

I asked Earl to remove his earplugs and he did.

The rules you are quoting are outdated from several years ago copied from the US Open 9-Ball Facebook page, which hasn't been properly updated. The official rules were printed and handed out to every player at the players' meeting and in their information packet. Furthermore, this rule has been in effect for at least the last three years, ever since the proliferation of Bluetooth earpieces. They are not allowed because we have a shot clock and the players have to be able to hear when I give them a time extension, or a 10-second warning, or a foul.

So do hearing aids need to be on if they play in the arena with shot clock?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the issue was they were sticking too far out of his ears, but during the match it was brought up about Earl being allowed to wear them, but from what i over heard there are up dated rules somewhere, that Ken Shuman (however you spell it) showed saying they were not allowed. Then after the match the TD was talking about it saying at one point they were allowed but are no longer are.

Now this is stuff i over heard i had great seats for this match i was sitting two seat two left of John Schmidt and Earl still ended up winning, he did take a jab by saying they were protecting their boy, (SVB) i busted out laughing when he said that. Another thing that i got a chuckle from earl was he is wearing 2 inch platform shoes during that match.

Who changed the rules and why? How does it benefit the game to ban earplugs?

I'd much rather see them ban jump cues.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who changed the rules and why? How does it benefit the game to ban earplugs?

I'd much rather see them ban jump cues.

Apparently the no ear plugs have been in effect for about three years.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
He now has an alibi for loosing, the loss of ear plugs sharked him. What were they thinking. I say let him wear them with the agreement some one can duct tape his mouth shut when he starts his ranting poor sportsmanship like behavior.

Other then that I would love to see him win the Open for a 6th time and then retire. I will always think of him as the greatest 9 Ball player.

When I get really bored I attend a small 9 Ball tournament at one of the local dives. I mean this place has it all, lousy poorly kept bar box tables, lots of foul language, most smoke and half are drunk.

Now they have added Karaoke to their list of events. They sing and stumble around the table and the music is very loud and the singing is horrible! Last week I played and wore ear plugs and the darn lousy Karaoke was still to loud.

Any way, good luck to you Earl. I hope you and Shane play it off in the end and you humble him in a hill hill match.

You must be playing the same 9 ball tournament as me, I will look for you next time.:D

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl could simply insert hearing aids turned off. Custom hearing aids would fit better and be more comfortable, also. Then he would be within the rules.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently the no ear plugs have been in effect for about three years.

Okay, and how does that rule change benefit the game? Were pool players being run over by 18 wheelers in the pool hall because they couldn't hear the truck due to ear plugs?

Banning jump cues would fix a problem with the game. Instead they chose to fix the earplug problem.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
About one year and a half ago there was an exhibition match between Tony Drago and Joshua Filler with 15sec shot clock. Joshua won 6:4. If Joshua played Earl in such match (15sec shot clock) my money would probably be on Joshua, Joshua has a firepower Earl had 15-20 years ago..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i88IKS-A78E

I watched this match, I am definitely in favor of shot clocks but 15 seconds is way too short. 45 seconds, maybe even 30 seconds would probably be OK. At 15 seconds they barely have time to look at the shot after the one they are shooting, these guys were trotting around the table at times. They just gotta do something about the minute to minute and a half or longer between shots.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I watched this match, I am definitely in favor of shot clocks but 15 seconds is way too short. 45 seconds, maybe even 30 seconds would probably be OK. At 15 seconds they barely have time to look at the shot after the one they are shooting, these guys were trotting around the table at times. They just gotta do something about the minute to minute and a half or longer between shots.

Totally agree. Takes me that long to get from one end of the table to the other - but I'm not on that level either.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's set the record straight.
Here are the official rules:
V. Dress Code
Dress-type shirt (with or without a collar) or a dress-type sweater
Dress slacks; no sweat pants, warm-up pants, jogging pants, cargo pants, or jeans
Dark shoes or dark-colored tennis or walking-type shoes; no white or light colored soles; no sandals, slippers or open-toed shoes
No headphones, earphones, earplugs, iPod, Bluetooth devices, hats, caps, or headgear Hearing aids are permitted.
Note: Any dress code exception to the above requires a medical doctor’s note and must be approved by the Tournament Director prior to the Tournament.

I asked Earl to remove his earplugs and he did.

The rules you are quoting are outdated from several years ago copied from the US Open 9-Ball Facebook page, which hasn't been properly updated. The official rules were printed and handed out to every player at the players' meeting and in their information packet. Furthermore, this rule has been in effect for at least the last three years, ever since the proliferation of Bluetooth earpieces. They are not allowed because we have a shot clock and the players have to be able to hear when I give them a time extension, or a 10-second warning, or a foul.

A couple of points:

1. That's not from the Facebook page, it's from the US Open web page. Maybe the handout was different, but what's on the official US Open web page under Rules is official, whether you want it to be or not.

To others in the thread:
2. I think it's reasonable to tell someone not to wear ear plugs. You've got to be able to respond to questions, hear announcements ("that's two fouls"), hear calls for a time out to get a ref, etc. That rule is present in league and local tournament play, and as far as I know is usually the rule in pro tournaments.

3. It's got nothing to do with Shane's hearing loss or hearing aids, and to say that a "no ear plug" rule means that Shane has to wear a hearing aid is ridiculous. The rules govern use of equipment - you can or cannot use x, y, z equipment. If extra long cues are banned, that doesn't mean tall people have to play on their knees.

Personally, I think Earl's hand crutches are unauthorized use of equipment. The rule generally is that you can use authorized equipment, i.e., cues fitting a certain spec, and you cannot use any other equipment when you play.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there anything in the rules about players loading up on beer, pickled eggs, broccoli, cabbage, butterbeans and chili the night before a match ???

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ear Plugs

Ear plugs and hearing aids is like apples and oranges.Lets have a rule on conduct and enforce it .Bad sport cry babies shouldnt be molly coddled. Next we will have to have a soundproof room with cameras to watch .Or send certain players to a place that has soundproof rooms already.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the reason they don't allow ear plugs is because you need to hear the ref and the shot clock, then it is quite reasonable that someone with a hearing aid needs to keep it turned on.

Being able to turn down the sound is definitely an advantage for most people in sports, whether its earplugs or by turning off hearing aids. I think I a lot more athletes would choose to reduce or turn off sound if they could without looking ridiculous wearing ear plugs.