Veterans Day at AZB

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
God Bless OUR Servicemen And Women

I was sworn into the Marines and headed for bootcamp on my 17th birthday in 1962.
I don't know how to post pictures and I couldn't find any really good pictures anyway. All that I could find were:
Me peeling potatoes
Me scrubbing a garbage can
Me with my jaw wired closed
Me leaving the brig
Me in front of an A-6

IYAOYAS

Doug :)

CLICK ON THESE LINKS:

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
My heartfelt thanks to all our veterans! We owe all of you a great debt.

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
Here ya go Steve

Now you're not the only baby-faced soldier on the board.

Only pic i have. (that i remember anyway.)

US Army Medic out in '72

Attachments

• me-a.jpg
    me-a.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 502

sde

Silver Member
I would like to thank all veterans past, present and future for serving our great country and doing your part to make/keep it what it is today.

Thanks to all that posted in this thread and shared a piece of yourself, whether a veteran or someone who supports the efforts the veterans from all eras. Reading your words and viewing the photos in this thread has made this a most memorial Veterans Day for me. Thanks again.

Steve

sde

Silver Member
I respectfully disagree

Hal said:
That gets my respect.

Hal
USMC 1986-1990
0331 Infantry Machine Gunner (M-60)
Echo Co. 2nd Bn 8th Mar. 2nd Mar. Div.
Camp Lejeune NC

When people make remarks to me about serving our country and all that crap, I tell them to thank someone who actually did something. Someone who actually served in combat. Those are the ones that deserve the respect.

First I would like to say that I appreciate your respect. There was very little of it when I returned to the world so any respect received now is not too late.

While I was overseas there was very little respect among the combat infantry men, for the REMFs and I as you held that opinion for a long time. But sometime over the years I have changed from that opinion to one that realizes a military effort includes the men and women of all occupations. IMO it is the entire team effort that makes an operation a success. I know that there is a least one major flaw to this thinking. It is my experience that the enlisted men were MUCH more capable of making combat decisions in the field than the low level officers.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that imo it is unfair to disregard, probably 80-90% of all veterans. We all did our part and imo respect is due to all. And that includes you even if you did not see any combat.

Steve

Skeezicks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sde said:
While I was overseas there was very little respect among the combat infantry men, for the REMFs
All that stuff was born of macho pride and envy. It had nothing to do with the support troops themselves.

army 11F

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
God Bless all the Veterans

My time was done as a teenager at 18,
1965-1968 USN Flight Crew P3 Orion
1967-1968 Vietnam

Father 1941-1944 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles D-Day invasion

My two Brothers US Army 1966-68 (reservists)

Sister USN, her husband USN both retired
Their daughter Army still active, served in IRAQ two years ago

Uncles served in WWII and Korea.

God Bless all our veterans.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
US Army
drafted, 11/69 - 11/71
Neckarsulm Artillery Kaserne, W. Germany
Pershing Missles
S-3, HQ Battery, 3rd/84th Artillery Group
Sergeant, E-5
Operations War Room Staff Duty NCO last six months of duty

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
ribdoner said:
12-65 to 12-67

mos--B2C20--Arty Surv

E-5

Met some good guys and I'm glad to be here

Adam - Jesus!!!... what a coincidence. I was an artillery surveyor as well... in school at Ft. Sill... 1/70 - 5/70.

And Jim Allen (from Willowbrook... '67) was as well... a year before I was in. He went to Nam... I didn't... luck of the draw, I guess.

For for those that don't already know it, Adam and I (and jgpool) all attended the same HS in Villa Park, IL during the '60s.

Small word, sometimes.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I'm a Viet Nam vet. US Navy 1968-1972. Did 2 west pac cruises aboard the USS Enterprise. I was an aviation electronics tech and flight deck trouble shooter in VA 196, the squadron written about in "Flight of the Intruder". Also served in Corpus Christi Texas during hurricane Celia.

God Bless all who served their country!

just more hot air!

Sherm

Attachments

• Big E 1.jpg
    Big E 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 287
  • US Navy 001.jpg
    US Navy 001.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 266
  • US Navy 002.jpg
    US Navy 002.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Flettir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nam 71'-72

No pics, there were in footlocker which was supposed to follow me home and didn't. I was a RadioTeleType operator with the 101st Airborne Division, 2nd 327 Inf (No Slack) and we were the last 101st battalion to leave county in 72' and brought the Division Colors home with us.

I was in Germany during the first Iraq invasion. Asked to volunteer to go, got packed and then was told to stand down. I was disappointed at that, was looking forward to going.

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sde said:
I know that this is borderline for the main forum but I know that there are many here who are veterans and currently on active duty.

With that said, I would like to invite all who have served, in war or peace time, to stand and be recognized by posting photos and/or a few words.

The following photos are of me in Viet Nam, 1969. I was a 50 gunner in a mechanized infantry unit.

I am having a hard time with words so I will let the photos tell the story.

SteveQUOTE]

just wanted to say thank you for this great post and to all of you that have served or are on their way to do so, thanks for watching over us all :)

9balllvr

Reactions: sde

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
These are pics of myself, my wife & my humble home while in Afghanistan. I hopped around over there a bit, going in & out of the field. On Christmas eve, I ran into my wife, who was also touring through several bases & camps. We were both both deployed at the same time on this particular deployment, and it was very tough kids & families on both sides. Once home we played rock-paper-scissors to decide who would get out of the military & stay home, I lost. So now i'm building cues :) My wife is still active duty & deployed again, won't be home until after the holidays.

I know all to well what it's like to serve & fight. I proudly salute all of our veterans. May God bless them all.

Ericwithrocketlauncher.jpg

EricandTanyaManas.jpg

ManasKyrgyzstan005.jpg

Eric Crisp
Sugartree Customs

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
qbilder said:
Once home we played rock-paper-scissors to decide who would get out of the military & stay home, I lost. So now i'm building cues :) My wife is still active duty & deployed again, won't be home until after the holidays.

Eric Crisp
Sugartree Customs

Thank you both.....and to all the veterans!

Reactions: sde

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Army

I was ARMY in Viet Nam for 2 tours 70,71 and 72.Mechanic and door gunner on a Huey.stationed at a small camp north of DaNang..Thanks SDE and others who have served.hope you all had a great Veteran's Day...i have plenty of pics but do not know how to post them..i don't do well with computers.maybe someday..GOD Bless u all...:)

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
From the bottom of my heart to the top of the US Flag that's flying every day from our house, THANK YOU!!

My hubby's a Vet, too - Navy!

Barbara

Ltldebbie

Ltldebbie
Silver Member
cuejoey said:
I was ARMY in Viet Nam for 2 tours 70,71 and 72.Mechanic and door gunner on a Huey.stationed at a small camp north of DaNang..Thanks SDE and others who have served.hope you all had a great Veteran's Day...i have plenty of pics but do not know how to post them..i don't do well with computers.maybe someday..GOD Bless u all...:)
Have you noticed alot of us from that era 68-72 live in a little house in the mountains. Me too. Not far from the creek. Yesterday I had a racoon under the porch. I think he will live there if I feed him but he/she looks pretty big about 35-40 pounds. I'm afraid to feed it. Thanks again for serving. Have you been to the wall? I'm afraid to go there. Can we see the names before we go to eliminate surprizes? I have grieved enough its time for me to move on. I guess HONOR & Grief are two different things. Good luck and I'm glad you came home.

sde

Silver Member
cuejoey said:

I also spent some time north of DaNang, a FSB with a name a can not recall. It was about 1 click from the DMZ and I was only there for about 4 weeks after being redeployed there when the 1st Division returned stateside. I caught a ride on a couple of Hueys that month, you guys had balls of steel!!! If Hal wants to give respect to anyone it should be those door gunners and the pilots who flew at what, 100-120 knots at grass top level, following the contour of creek beds. :eek:

I just checked and this is your first post since May 15, 07! . I hope all is well for you and that we will see more by you in the future.

Steve

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Ltldebbie said:
Have you noticed alot of us from that era 68-72 live in a little house in the mountains. Me too. Not far from the creek. Yesterday I had a racoon under the porch. I think he will live there if I feed him but he/she looks pretty big about 35-40 pounds. I'm afraid to feed it. Thanks again for serving. Have you been to the wall? I'm afraid to go there. Can we see the names before we go to eliminate surprizes? I have grieved enough its time for me to move on. I guess HONOR & Grief are two different things. Good luck and I'm glad you came home.[/QUOTE living in the mountains yes.i am pretty rural.but there is a guy that was on a tank with the 196th light Infantry Brigade.i am his closest neighbor and i am about 2 miles away..i have electricty and phone he does not.he uses propane and wood... the closest power line is about 2 miles from him.no well water for him like i have the luxury of having.he transports his water in a 300 gallon tank on the back of his pickup..for over 20 years he has lived in a small cabin/r/v trailer there.this is in a forest where winter can be brutal on some days.....he is considered 100 % disabled from PTSD..he goes to a shrink 2 times a week along with group meetings.(i have never asked what happened).....plus there are others..one of which is a Korean War Army Vet who was a POW held by the North Koreans for over a year.........i have not been to the WALL and do not plan on ever going...thank you much and welcome home...:)