Veterans Day at AZB

Ltldebbie

Ltldebbie
Silver Member
Give Peace a chance

DawgAndy said:
thank you veterans

As an American, I'm pro veteran as a human I'm anti war.

I would like to say sorry to all vets in army 69-71.
I am older and wiser now.
I was the little blonde sitting just outside of gate three with black armband at Fort Sill OK.

I remember my husband Sgt Gutierrez coming home from a long days work in Viet Nam village and saying "Guess what first Sargiant asked me today in front of about 100 soldiers? First Sargeant screams "Sargeant Gutierrez, can't you control your wife?" He had to answer "no, First Sargeant, I can not control my wife." Sitting outside gate three was the least of his problems.
The rest of the time I had my babies in the Ft Sill nursery for 50 cents an hour playing pool for grocery money. The army wasn't generous with dependants. My allotment check was $130. and my rent was $120. If the army wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you a wife. Thats why I love watching the unit. Things have changed a little.

I'm sure those good ole boys in OK and Texas just let me win because I could barely run 3 balls but I had heart. I would pony up with my only $10 and gamble. I really couldn't see any other way. Oh I sewed patches for .50 a patch and did laundry and cooked for soldiers. But I played a lot better than I cooked. I was only 17. go figure.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
i cannot imagine the pain so many went thru while their loved one went to Nam..i had no ties so it didn't matter to me.right now a great friend who is Army National Guard is gone on a 15 month activation to Afganistan..he is 38 yoa happily married with 5 kids..comes home in mid jan.08..besides sending him a package every month i have been taking some of the kids out to do things..we can give our thanks to our Veterans but please do not forget their familys.if you know of a Vet away from his family see if you can do something for them..a gift card to McDonalds ect would be a great idea..thanks for listening...

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Ahhhh, the George. Baseline 6.

Had digital readouts for the CIC console vabs on this one, right?

Barbara

TX Poolnut said:
USN 94-98, Cryptologic Technician aboard USS Cape St. George (CG-71).

We set the maritime cocaine seizure record. Tons and Tons and Tons.

I have video of cruise missle launches from our aft launch decks but no pictures. Here's a pic I found off the net of my ship. Good times.[/QUO

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the thread. Veterans Day is a holiday to most folks here in the States, but our brave man and women who are soldiers, airmen, sailors, and marines are still serving our country, 24/7.

My nephew, Eric, is on a 15-month tour of duty in Iraq. It's been a little over a year now since he first left. He sure has changed. Somehow he seems different to me, last time we spoke.

Eric is very well liked by his superiors and has been promoted to a couple new ranks, some of which I can't remember the names of. My brother tells me that Eric is contemplating reenlisting. He really likes the Army lifestyle.

Here's to you, Eric! Your aunt loves you very much! Though I can't talk to you in Iraq, posting on this thread makes me feel good.

Next time I see Eric, just a few more months, his 15-month tour of duty will be done! :)

Attachments

• l_2e392e6f7f85459aaf8a5288a8773227[1].jpg
    l_2e392e6f7f85459aaf8a5288a8773227[1].jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 274

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Thanks for the thread. Veterans Day is a holiday to most folks here in the States, but our brave man and women who are soldiers, airmen, sailors, and marines are still serving our country, 24/7.

My nephew, Eric, is on a 15-month tour of duty in Iraq. It's been a little over a year now since he first left. He sure has changed. Somehow he seems different to me, last time we spoke.

Eric is very well liked by his superiors and has been promoted to a couple new ranks, some of which I can't remember the names of. My brother tells me that Eric is contemplating reenlisting. He really likes the Army lifestyle.

Here's to you, Eric! Your aunt loves you very much! Though I can't talk to you in Iraq, posting on this thread makes me feel good.

Next time I see Eric, just a few more months, his 15-month tour of duty will be done! :)

i feel for those army guys. 15 months is way too long!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal said:
When people make remarks to me about serving our country and all that crap, I tell them to thank someone who actually did something. Someone who actually served in combat. Those are the ones that deserve the respect.

I kind of feel the same way Hal. I served during Desert Shield/Storm but my Grandfather was the real hero in my eyes.
He was in every damn major campaign during WWII including a landing on Utah Beach. That guy will forever live on as nothing more than a true American hero to me.
One thing that still chokes me up was his reasoning for getting out after the war. He said he pulled up on the train to meet my Grandmother and my mom who was only a few years old at the time. My mom asked my Grandmother, "Is that my daddy?" He said that was it, no more for me. If my own daughter doesn't know what I look like I am done.

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member
I just want to thank all those who have unselfishly served their country often times without recognition.

All of us Vets of yesterday's wars will always support our troops in and out of combat today.

God Bless You All and May God Bring You Home Safely,

Arnot Wadsworth

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Central Highlands?
sde said:
EDIT
This thread is one year old but it would be nice if there were more photos added this year. Thanks again to all who served or are serving.

With that said, I would like to invite all who have served, in war or peace time, to stand and be recognized by posting photos and/or a few words.

The following photos are of me in Viet Nam, 1969. I was a 50 gunner in a mechanized infantry unit.

I am having a hard time with words so I will let the photos tell the story.

Steve

View attachment 53178

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Veterans day 2009

My sincere thanks and gratitude to all US veterans. One thing I'd like to see is all US Veterans not pay tolls on roads/bridges in the US. Would not include commercial vehicles. It's a small gesture of gratitude that I believe could be done quite easily. Anyone who wants to run with this please do, I wouldn't know where to start. I did post it on a local and vocal Facebook page. He's got a well listened to radio talk show.

Paul......Thanks Vets

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I served:
U.S. Army 2nd Brigade
Ft. Polk, LA

387th Transportation Div.
Los Angeles, CA

Last edited:

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. . .
Navy 1973-77 GMG-3
USS Hassayampa AO-145
USS Fanning FF-1076
Harbor Clearance Unit YRST-1