Wanted: cheap/effective break cue

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Rating - 98.6%
141   2   1
bruin70 said:
go to your local poolroom, pick a cue that has DARK prominent straight grain,,,,and/or curly figuring in the shaft area. buy it for $20, change the ferrule to aegis, get a compreme or buffalo hard tip.
Thats a great idea for someone on a budget...then take it to a cueman and have a joint installed for an additional $50. Not a bad starter cue.;)

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Break stick

I have bought 2 J&J's, one for myself, and just got one from Chrisonline with JP's, delivered in 2 days, for $60. You would be hard pressed to beat his deal. I also bought a 2nd shaft for my J&J. They break and jump well.
I am very pleased with them.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Rating - 98.6%
141   2   1
Hierovision said:
I went with a Varney j/b.
He has made his choice already. I know, I have his check...and kudos to his wife on saving 2 cents...the postmaster general may come calling.:D

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
lol... 3 cents actually, we don't have the 2 cent ones :D

I'm looking forward to opening the box and heading directly to the nearest pool hall :)

For those of you suggesting the j+j, I'm sure I can't beat the value but I can't rightfully spend 55 (cheapest offer, with all options available for customization, not bad!) on a cue I'm going to have for the rest of my pool career (hopefully). I opted for the more expensive route for a cue I've heard extremely good things about, and will hopefully live up to the hype :D

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Played awesome tonight. Used my viking as a breaker and sank a couple 100% of the time. Ran a couple racks and felt great, guess why? I kept reminding myself this cue was coming in the mail soon :D Just gave me confidence at the sheer thought lol, now that's power.

Sore_Aintya

Donating money since 1985
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woodyosborne said:
varney jump/ break cues far outnumber others at the local room. there are sledgehammers, fury's,j&j, others. more varneys than any other. why? they perform both tasks well-break and jump as well as your skill level allows. .

I can honestly say I have never walked into a pool room and seen "Varney's" out number any other cue. Matter of fact, I don't think I have ever seen one in any of the local rooms period.
Might have something to do with your location versus mine.:)

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Sore_Aintya said:
Might have something to do with your location versus mine.:)

I think that's the catch in that promo statement :) Might be a hall near Varney he's talking about, who knows? Either way I like the sound of it.

I've had some extensive experience breaking with mcdermott and predator break cues, so it should get a fair review.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Rating - 98.6%
141   2   1
You can drive to Randolph's in Hickory...maybe an hour from me. Look around during the tourney...you may see 20 Varney's.
At the Smokey Mountain Shootout...during matches...you could always look around and spot 8 or 10 being used...no telling how many more where in cases because they weren't in a match. Vendors selling Sledgehammers everywhere...20 to 30 different ones, brand new for sale. Not one single Varney for sale.
Makes me proud.:D
I often, often have grown azz men...come up to me & put their arm around me, try to hug me, and tell me just how much they LOVE their Varney. Thats what makes the work, worth it all!!!;)

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I promise never to hug you, but it sounds like I'm going to be giving thanks at least... if not commission a playing cue :p

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Uhhh.. Wow

Ok so last night I had my first league match with the new Varney J/B

Before I get into the performance, let me just say that when I opened the box and unwrapped the cue... I was more excited than a 12-year-old on Christmas morning. This thing is BEAUTIFUL. The wood grain in the butt is amazing to look at, and the color is awesome. It definitely draws attention from those who know what to look for. I got a big discount because it had a "blem". Let me tell you about this blem... It resembles a burn mark about 1/4 of an inch long and very slim near the joint on the shaft. I would have to look down to notice it while shooting. Anyway on to the good stuff.

Last night I probably hit 20+ racks. I made a ball 100% of the time (partly because I found the sweet spot from the rail last time I went out), made 5 balls once, and usually 3 balls or around there. That was my average. I got the 9 on the snap twice (once along with 3 other balls, and once with 2 others). The best part that makes this review special is... one of my teammates just bought a falcon J/B. I broke with it three times. Doesn't even get close to the feel or results of my Varney J/B. 2 of my better teammates broke with mine and didn't want to break with their own the rest of the night. This thing hits like a ton of monsters... not a ton, and not like a monster... a ton of monsters. It's disgusting. The first rack I broke was 8-ball, and there were about 10 people in the bar as it was early, and they ALL stopped talking and turned around to see what the noise was... because surely I had launched the cue ball off the table with that hard of a break. Not even a hop. I'm getting the Colin style break down... all I did was power-break and it hurt my ears.

All I can say is this thing trumps the McDermott, the Fury, and the Predator BK. I haven't tried a J+J yet, but I can reasonably doubt that it competes well with this cue. It's perfect for me. Thanks for the deal Varney, and thank you for bumping me way up the list so I could get it in time :D

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Rating - 98.6%
141   2   1
Hierovision said:
Last night I probably hit 20+ racks. I made a ball 100% of the time, made 5 balls once, and usually 3 balls or around there.
This thing hits like a ton of monsters... not a ton, and not like a monster... a ton of monsters.
... all I did was power-break and it hurt my ears.
WOW!!! Now thats a happy customer! I'm glad you decided to try the Varney! Customers whom are this happy...is the best advertising in the world. I often tell people...when you get your Varney j/b, a couple of your friends will order one as well.;)
Can we make the above quote a "sticky"?:D :D :D
Thank you Zack!!!:)

Edited to add: Zack update your sig line...its no longer "on the way".

No Illusions

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a Varney JB too! Its the best break cue money can buy. I've turned down many offers. I could get another one but I just dont want to sell this one. Ton of monsters is right. I've made 5 balls on the snap so many times that I can't remember them all anymore.
KV is a super person to deal with. Highest quality cues I've ever owned. I quit playing with a high end Nova because Kevins playing cue played so much better. He does a lot of stuff others don't and you'll believe when you use one. I'm sold for life. You all will always see nothing but Varneys in my case.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I just wanted to brag...
All that good playing I did on the first day with my Varney j/b... I did with appendicitis. Friday I had my appendix removed laparoscopically :O
I'm not saying Varney J/B cues give you appendicitis, I'm saying even WITH appendicitis you can play well with one! :eek:
lol

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Rating - 98.6%
141   2   1
Hierovision said:
I just wanted to brag...
All that good playing I did on the first day with my Varney j/b... I did with appendicitis.

Seriously I hope you are feeling better. Hopefully you got a BIG bottle of Pecocets with a refill.:D