What do you think Tush Hog means?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading the Brooklyn Butch story, I learned the correct pronunciation of Tush rhymes with "hush" not "push". Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62vSTLXAe_Q

But what the heck does it mean?

We need to put the pool version in Wikipedia, along with other important pool slang like "nit".

A Tush Hog was a guy who was intimating just by their very presences. Usually with a proven track record that no longer required proving. Many became semi famous in their own rights. One such that comes to mind from years ago was a guy I knew for many years called "Sugar Shack Johnny Novak". In the words of George Fells, "One whiff of his action and all trouble cease". I actually liked Sugar Shack a lot, he had his own set of warped morals that in a way made sense but he could also be unpredictable and scary even to a friend.

I saw him give money once to a guy who was trying to sell his jacket on a freezing night telling the guy to keep his jacket. The guy had some kind of sob story. A few hours later Johnny comes back and there is the guy still in the pool room gambling with the money and drinking. At that point Johnny took the jacket and threw him out in the cold to freeze.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
examples

I've always took it to mean not just some muscle behind the bet, but the kind of muscle that you just don't want to mess with.

Things could get a little rowdy at the dirt tracks so some had a considerable number of policemen in uniform. A tusk hog by name of Larry J owned a couple of cars and felt like his driver had gotten the gooey end of the stick on the track from race officials one night. The track owner was in the press box at the top of the bleachers and had a great large deputy backing him up, 250 pounds or so. Larry was a local fellow and well known for a bit of a temper so the deputy made the mistake of trying to get between him and the track owner. Larry picked up the deputy and chunked him fifteen feet or so through the air before he started bouncing on the way down the bleachers. The four or five deputies that had been following in Larry's wake gave matters due consideration and realized they had pressing business elsewhere! They were only toting revolvers back then and somehow they were sure that they were overmatched.

'Nuther tusk hog I knew was a favorite to have my back when I went to strange tracks. He and two friends were in a low dive on Airline that actually had nice action on a challenge table, I took a good bit of money out of there over the years. Somehow Louis, a jockey sized driver, and a medium sized friend that had a bad limp and wasn't into fighting found themselves in a brawl with everyone else in the place. Twenty-some odd or so against the three was about even until somebody threw a chair at Louis. Louis started throwing chairs and then he started throwing the pedestal type tables with the center leg and heavy base. The bar was about 40 by 60 and Louis was humming tables off of all four walls with a mean side arm pitch. In just a few minutes the place was empty, even the owner and his hired help had hit the doors!

Knew a few more tusk hogs over the years like Iron John P. Bottom line was when the poop hit the fan you wanted to be sure if one of these guys was involved he was on your side. Knew of a couple of tusk hogs that got shot and killed over the years, somebody had sense enough to know that was the best and probably only way to stop one once he got rolling. One more thing, none of these guys elected themselves to be bull of the woods, everybody just naturally realized they were after awhile. Grizzly Smith the wrestler used to date a topless dancer I knew. A gentle giant in a bar but just a growl from him was enough to get your attention. I was plenty glad to be on friendly terms with him! I just thought he looked big in a wrestling ring, I reached to about his beard and I'm not tiny myself.

Hu

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Tush Hog

Reading the Brooklyn Butch story, I learned the correct pronunciation of Tush rhymes with "hush" not "push". Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62vSTLXAe_Q

But what the heck does it mean?

We need to put the pool version in Wikipedia, along with other important pool slang like "nit".

Tush Hog: A person that requires respect but not necessarily deserving of it, one that you should tread lightly around.

David Harcrow

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
great way of putting it!

Tush Hog: A person that requires respect but not necessarily deserving of it, one that you should tread lightly around.

David Harcrow

David,

That is a great way of putting it. The person might not deserve respect but you always have to respect their potential. Aside from anything else they have no fear of consequences. While a reasonable person is wondering if something is worth the legal risks a tush hog has already acted.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I am actually surprised that Tush Hog isn't a term used everywhere but being from the South I sometimes forget that while God talks like we do many of you don't......

A Tush Hog in the pool room is someone who will try to shark you by intimidation usually thru the use of their physical stature. Threats and shouting can be employed as well...

You aren't likely gonna find a Tush Hog coming in at 5'5" and 150 pounds..... You may however run into someone small in stature who tries to tush hog you but in this case tush hogging is a verb and not a noun so it's much less effective than when a real tush hog is doing the tush hogging....

The best defense against a tush hog or a person who tush hogs is usually avoidance as this is a learned behavior. Smacking the tush hog on the snout to curb this behavior is usually a bad plan but can be effective if done early enough to enlist the element of surprise....

If you wait to do the snout smacking you run the risk of losing the surprise factor plus you have played into their hands since the whole point of tush hogging is to get you into fight or flight mode.......

I've known a couple people like this guy....
..because they aren't so big, they're even more vicious....

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...m9i8Ag&usg=AFQjCNELlwtwanwHeUMukDVvqNK7I2bOGQ

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Sugar Shack Johnny

A Tush Hog was a guy who was intimating just by their very presences. Usually with a proven track record that no longer required proving. Many became semi famous in their own rights. One such that comes to mind from years ago was a guy I knew for many years called "Sugar Shack Johnny Novak". In the words of George Fells, "One whiff of his action and all trouble cease". I actually liked Sugar Shack a lot, he had his own set of warped morals that in a way made sense but he could also be unpredictable and scary even to a friend.

I saw him give money once to a guy who was trying to sell his jacket on a freezing night telling the guy to keep his jacket. The guy had some kind of sob story. A few hours later Johnny comes back and there is the guy still in the pool room gambling with the money and drinking. At that point Johnny took the jacket and threw him out in the cold to freeze.

You are talking about my old road partner,(As you well know, Mac) Sugar Shack Johnny Novak. So named after the famous (at that time) bar in Ft Lauderdale, The Sugar Shack. Sugar Shack used to like to beat up Tush Hogs. He was afraid of nothing, including guns. How he is still alive is a mystery. Talked to him the other day. He still lives in Fla. We havent seen each other in 25 years.

He had 3 brothers just about as dangerous as him. One, Stephan was even much worse. I, couldnt handle being around Stephan.

Had many great adventures with him thru the years, one more frightening than the other. The upside was always that no body was ever going to take back the money. He liked us to hustle in spots that were famous for taking back the money. The players there were always very easy to gamble with, as you might well expect. About halfway thru the games Johnny would announce, "If you cant afford to lose, you had better quit now, because NOBODY is getting anything back!" Wonderful, scary times.

Beard

Unbelievably, there was an even worse Tush Hog in Ft Lauderdale then, and Macguy knows who I am talking about. His name was Henry Duke Baker. Big Henry. Even tho we all hung out together, Henry and Johnny were always threatening to get it on. They could have sold out the Miami Auditorium if they had. Henry could short circuit your muscles with just a look. I know from experience.

jmr08260

rescue 4
tush hog

dudes,a 'tush hog'is a guy who craves a certain part of the female anatomy,and i dont mean her breasts or her butt.listen to the song,remember zz top i'm just lookin for some tush'

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
In East Texas back in the day, a Tush Hog was an enforcer, usually for illegal or illicit activities/persons. Tush usually refers to prostitutes (remember the ZZ Topp reference in "LaGrange" (my hometown, BTW)), something a lot of Tush Hogs in the Houston/Pasadena area were associated with, usually pimping or the hired muscle to keep everything moving. If someone wanted someone else hit or roughed up, Tush Hogs were the go to guys. Tush Hogs were never called that to their face, but everyone knew who they were. When I was a kid, I met one from Channelview TX that got jumped in a bar and shot in the forehead with a .25 cal. pistol...he immediately threw up all over the shooter then beat him half to death. Then drove himself to the hospital. Bad, bad men....

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I like Tennessee a lot and maybe one day we'll live there.

Where did you get the name "Renfro" just curious?

Chris

I hate to answer for "Renfro" but he got the name from his parents......;)

As far as the moving to TN, as RD said, if you are moving here with moderate savings by Cali standards you will be in great shape here. I have a couple of buds on the left coast and they can't believe my payments for my house. One of them pays 3 times what I do and would trade for my house in a minute. The cost of living difference is amazing.......

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always tried to avoid that stuff. Seems like today people are more likely to pull out a weapon and use it than previously.

I knew a guy in St Louis who along with his brothers were constantly getting in fights. He ended up in a wheel chair, paralyzed from a bullet. He went to the hospital with a broken hand and a gunshot wound.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
same town . . .

not that many HOGS around today,pushing their power,to many crazy 100lb ers ,carry equlizers if u no what i mean!

Same town, almost the same thing happened twice. A great large fellow made a hobby of kicking a much smaller man's butt every time he got a chance for several years. Little guy finally had enough, bought himself a .25. Back then hardball was the only thing commonly available for the .25 and I had an employee swiss cheesed with one without doing him any real harm. Not this time though. The little guy walked up to the the bigger man while he was sitting peacefully in a bar and popped him in the forehead at point blank range. Killed him just fine and best I remember the man got four years for that killing, probably out in less than three. Had he waited until the next time the big guy tried to kick his butt he would have walked.

Similar deal, a guy I knew, big man himself and had deltoids up to his ears, had what he called a big guy take up kicking his butt for a hobby too. Big as this man was I would have liked to have seen what he called big. This fella being bullied was a wee bit smarter and made sure that the bully came to possess a revolver that didn't actually shoot. Eased up to the bully in a bar and spit in his face. Guy came unglued and drug out the revolver. The guy that had spit while nobody noticed in a noisy juke pulled out a .45 and perforated the bully a handful of times. Justifiable homicide, no charges.

Some people live through these things and become legends. Most die just like normal people, something to think about for those that think it would be cool to become a legend.

Hu

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Tush Hog you say? What is it?

this ought to help you out.. Vernon Litton is the man's name. Everyone knew who he was.
(courtesy of Bill Porter and Mike Haines)
905615664_XXT7H-XL.jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew Vernon pretty well
He was a very tough hombre
rumored to collect for underworld characters

Known well by Billy Stroud,San Jose Dick,Alfie Taylor,Jack Potter

It might not be appropriate to tell the stories on this thread asking for a definition of Tush Hog

I don't know the dictionary meaning or etymology of the term

but it means something like the toughest guy around,who is not above
using his physical powers to get his way.

It is so common down here that my daughter is frequently using the term to
tell her 8 year old not to tush hog his sister

Truth be know that little 6 year old can handle her brother

Vernon Litton,oh the stories
i could tell a few

Charlie Boyd, RD Matthews,Vernon Litton,Billy t

The Creeper and others were a few that got "Wide berths"

oh the days of the cotton bowling palace
what an action pool room

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris

I thought it was tush, like your butt, a tush hog being a guy that watched your butt for you. I told Butch that and he laughed so hard I had to threaten to punch him out to quiet him down.

A tush hog is a feral pig, they have them in the South.

Kevin

PS: One part of the story above is fiction.

Last edited: