What do you think Tush Hog means?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I like that explanation Hu. Makes good sense too. Lol

Joeya

A big tusker is the baddest hog on the farm or in the woods. The way the language gets bent around in the south he became known as a tusk hog. There might be several tusk hogs in an area but there is only one that is known as the tusk hog, the bull of the woods. Like Leroy Brown, when all the bad folks gather round they all call him boss.

With country boys known to sip on some squeez'ns now and then and a common lack of front teeth past the age of eighteen in all but the most sissy of boys and ladylike of girls the K in tusk just naturally got softened up to an H sound. Get around the redneck country boys and you still hear the big boars and the bad boys referred to as tusk hogs too. I think the two names are too close together to not be one and the same.

Hu

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In East Texas back in the day, a Tush Hog was an enforcer, usually for illegal or illicit activities/persons. Tush usually refers to prostitutes (remember the ZZ Topp reference in "LaGrange" (my hometown, BTW)), something a lot of Tush Hogs in the Houston/Pasadena area were associated with, usually pimping or the hired muscle to keep everything moving. If someone wanted someone else hit or roughed up, Tush Hogs were the go to guys. Tush Hogs were never called that to their face, but everyone knew who they were. When I was a kid, I met one from Channelview TX that got jumped in a bar and shot in the forehead with a .25 cal. pistol...he immediately threw up all over the shooter then beat him half to death. Then drove himself to the hospital. Bad, bad men....

A Missouri tush hog would have run ten miles to the hospital.

bstroud

Deceased
I knew Vernon pretty well
He was a very tough hombre
rumored to collect for underworld characters

Known well by Billy Stroud,San Jose Dick,Alfie Taylor,Jack Potter

It might not be appropriate to tell the stories on this thread asking for a definition of Tush Hog

I don't know the dictionary meaning or etymology of the term

but it means something like the toughest guy around,who is not above
using his physical powers to get his way.

It is so common down here that my daughter is frequently using the term to
tell her 8 year old not to tush hog his sister

Truth be know that little 6 year old can handle her brother

Vernon Litton,oh the stories
i could tell a few

Charlie Boyd, RD Matthews,Vernon Litton,Billy t

The Creeper and others were a few that got "Wide berths"

oh the days of the cotton bowling palace
what an action pool room

I knew all these guys and a lot more.

Vernon was a tough guy but it was more bark than bite.
Charlie Boyd was more of a tush hog. He was also crazy and was killed in prison.
Billy T. Dryer was just a tough guy and nice as well.

The most feared tush hog in TX was Country Smith from Houston.
He once got me out of a bar on the docks in Houston with a double barrelded shotgun.
He was a small thin man who was tough as nails. He took me to places in Houston to gamble that no other pool hustler would go. I always felt safe wit Country. He was also very smart.
Last I saw of him he was a bouncer at Reds Billiards in Houston.

TJ Parker was another tough guy in Houston. He got mad at me for beating him at one pocket and hit me in the face and almost knocked me out. He was bigger than Vernon and much more dangerous.

Months later I went back to his room and busted him. He acted OK.
Guess I was a little crazy myself in those days.

Bill S.