What is the best pool cue joint/pin type?

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always find it informative to read what shooters prefer (joints, pins, tips, ferrules, weight systems, wood, etc.) and why they prefer what they choose. As a person who is far removed from being naive, I still don't understand why some people have to turn a conversation into a competition, criticizing other people's choices and decisions. You can object to one's opinion in a friendly manner without having to insult them.
e.g. I opined why I don't use the Uniloc and another member explained why he liked his Uniloc, all done in a cordial manner without any animosity. Let's keep the information rolling on these sites as we all become better billiards players as we learn from others.

soyale

I currently have three conversion cues all with Radial. New to radial. Before these I’ve mainly used 3/8:10 and 5/16:14, both which I love.

The radial pins hit good, honestly I can’t quite tell the difference in hit, but they do come slightly loose. Two days ago, I broke with one and the cue started rattling after, during shots. Thought I’d cracked something. Turns out the joint came loose and needed to be tightened.

I’m friends with the guys over at Tiger. I go over there (too often) and usually end up in long conversations with their cue maker. This is the guy who brought the stacked leather wrap to the billiard world. He does all wraps for Tiger and many other cue brands and cue makers outsource directly to him for wraps. He’s old school. Cuts the channels by hand with a chisel. Takes just a few seconds. Amazing to watch. He also built most of the machines they use in the shop himself, by hand. He’s the designer of their tips and is also the guy who designed and engineered their unique pin.

He explained the original uses, and issues with the various pins used in cues. Radial, for example, the threads of that type of pin are not designed for or ideal for holding two separate pieces of material together. The threading can begin to fail over time and impacts to it, structurally cause loosening over time.

The pin/threading that their pin is based on is an existing type, meant to hold machine parts of some kind together, firmly, without fail. They made some modifications to it, adding a slight taper to the threads and so forth. It’s designed to actually tighten, as opposed to loosen. The diameter of their pins are the same as radial but the threading is superior from an engineering standpoint. They can actually tap a shaft already tapped for radial, so that it works with either radial or their own pin at the same time.

I’m looking at having my pins all changed out. Found this thread and read the comments which are really good. Wanted to see if there were any thoughts on Tiger’s pin. Didn’t think to check the dates.
Now THAT is what i call a post!

Haha, thanks for the info! I like reading old posts too. Tiger is a great company, i used to play with one of their layered tips and it hit really well. if I hadn’t went back to single layer i would probably still be using them

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The feeling when you hit the ball, a wood-to-wood joint feels different than a steel joint.
Most of what people call 'feel' has nada to do with the joint. Shaft size/taper, ferrule material, and the tip have WAY more effect than the joint. Take a selection of cues with different joint types and cover the joints. You'd be hard pressed to tell what the joint was by feel. This test was done yrs ago on the TexasExpressTour and virtually no-one(70%) could pick the right joint after hitting the cues. One guy was a Meucci staff player and the cue he chose after hitting the test cues was steel-joint ADAM cue.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The feeling when you hit the ball, a wood-to-wood joint feels different than a steel joint.
To me wood to wood is a little softer than steel providing more feed back.
I used to play in a room in N.J. where there were a number of Gus Szamboti cues and I always found them to be way to stiff.
Personal preference there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me wood to wood is a little softer than steel providing more feed back.
I used to play in a room in N.J. where there were a number of Gus Szamboti cues and I always found them to be way to stiff.
Personal preference there.
That may be true but the stiffness wasn't a result of the joint. SW cues are w-2-w joints and they are some of the stiffest hitting cues ever made. Joint is not the root-cause of the stiffness of a pool cue.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That may be true but the stiffness wasn't a result of the joint. SW cues are w-2-w joints and they are some of the stiffest hitting cues ever made. Joint is not the root-cause of the stiffness of a pool cue.
Yeah I know there are other factors making a cue hit stiff ,but all factors being equal a steel joint still will still hit stiffer,it's thick steel.
And I'm not a cue maker but I've played with a lot of different cues the last 60 years. :cry:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most of what people call 'feel' has nada to do with the joint. Shaft size/taper, ferrule material, and the tip have WAY more effect than the joint. Take a selection of cues with different joint types and cover the joints. You'd be hard pressed to tell what the joint was by feel. This test was done yrs ago on the TexasExpressTour and virtually no-one(70%) could pick the right joint after hitting the cues. One guy was a Meucci staff player and the cue he chose after hitting the test cues was steel-joint ADAM cue.
most people cannot tell the difference in type of joint let alone pin type
puhleeze !!!!!!!!!!!!!
this thread was 11 years old .....OMG

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what do you think plays the best uni-loc or 3/8x10 pin has anyone everhad a problem with a uni-loc joint?
any other suggestions? as what is the best pin , seems like most of the custom cue makers use a 3/8x10 i assume it is because of feel but i break with my player i just like the control better. what would be a better choice for a new cue stainless steel joint with a 3/8x10 pin or uni-loc?
There is no best. Edited to add: The cue taper, balance and TIP are far more important.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I know there are other factors making a cue hit stiff ,but all factors being equal a steel joint still will still hit stiffer,it's thick steel.
And I'm not a cue maker but I've played with a lot of different cues the last 60 years. :cry:
You can believe that all you want but the joint material does not effect how stiff/flexible a cue hits. The shaft size/taper, ferrule and tip (and even the butt taper to some degree) are what matters. Ever hit a SW? Hit one with their standard taper. One of THE stiffest hitting cues on the planet. Has a wood-to-wood joint. Pool is full of old-wives-tales i call 'poolisms' and this 'joint determines the stiffness' is one of them. Another is that Meucci's long taper flexible shaft lets you spin the ball more. Pleeeeze.

Last edited:

RefrainReyes

There is no best. TIP is far more important.
Well there obviously seem to be joints that are worse. When I started playing (& doing some cue research) I stayed away from unilocs due to seeing the construction, & especially the shaft inserts… (due to having to fork out a decent amount of cash.)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well there obviously seem to be joints that are worse. When I started playing (& doing some cue research) I stayed away from unilocs due to seeing the construction, & especially the shaft inserts… (due to having to fork out a decent amount of cash.)
Some are better at connecting the butt to the shaft but that's a whole different deal than how the joint affects the stiffness/feel.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You can believe that all you want but the joint material does not effect how stiff/flexible a cue hits. The shaft size/taper, ferrule and tip (and even the butt taper to some degree) are what matters. Ever hit a SW? Hit one with their standard taper. One of THE stiffest hitting cues on the planet. Has a wood-to-wood joint. Pool is full of old-wives-tales i call 'poolisms' and this 'joint determines the stiffness' is one of them. Another is that Meucci's long taper flexible shaft lets you spin the ball more. Pleeeeze.
About the only thing I’ll reach out and say can make a difference in joints besides the subjective feel, is the weight differential between joint styles and some of their collar constructions, as some joints are better off with certain types of collars due to the width of collar and pin.

Good example is you don’t see 3/8x10 steel joints especially not that configuration with a compression recess in butt and nipple on shaft.
Unless one were to make the joint area oversized. Not that it hasn’t been done I could swear I have seen it lol but generally speaking that constitution is very fringe.

For what its worth the best joint I’ve played with was a compression fit wooden tennon for a pin and I’ve hit with a very old cue that was similar and had a wooden cone that compression fit similar to what layani designed just without the short threaded stud poking out. Their would be the wooden pin cues I’ve played with such as deanocs thaf he passed around here and we shipped to one another all over the US over a decade ago.

But like non ferruled shafts as Dennis Dieckmon and I agreed upon….as a maker you just can’t really trust players with them generally speaking. Players are rough on cues, do something foolish then will blame the cue maker. And often it’s their own fault. Such as letting the tip get way thin over due for maintance change out and then being a fool and sloppily stoking, miscuing and causing the tip to shear it’s shoulder, inturn shearing a bit of the wood off the end of the shaft OD.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mid 80's I had a steel joint Schon.
I sold it and bought a Meucci.
It was much easier and with less effort to move the cue ball with the Meucci.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of predators with unilocs have lasted for years and years and won a lot of championships.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100%. It's all taper/construction IMO. My SW is stiffer than my Schon.