What is the best pool cue joint/pin type?

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
3/8x10 is the best pin ever. Source: Trust me bro! (and that's what my cues are so, of course, it's the best!)

I'd like to say that I can tell the difference in hit between a metal pin into wood and metal pin into metal but I definitely couldn't tell the difference between a 3/8x10 and radial or unilock or anything else. I think it would be pretty hard to say what "the best" is. Maybe an engineer could tell us why one may be functionally superior than others but I doubt many of us could tell the difference in how they hit in a blindfolded test.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly what I said. It was not 70% of the players that could not tell what joint was on what cue as the poster I responded to had said, but rather it was essentially 100% of the players that did not have any statistically significant success being able to pick out which joints were on which cues. The 70% was the amount of the individual guesses that were incorrect, a very different thing.
I still dont get your point
Have a nice day

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Busted.

Still trying to understand why resuscitating an old discussion on preferred joint types on a billiards forum is so taboo.
You will never win on this topic, here's why.

IF someone posts a question, they run the risk of someone else saying "it's been posted before, do a search on the topic."

IF one does that search and has additional questions it turns to "why bring up the old thread?"

Smile, it's Wednesday.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I still dont get your point
Have a nice day
It's one of those things that some people would have to take a bit to think out. Let me see if I might be able to explain it in a way that might be more readily apparent. He said over 70% of players could not tell the difference between joints in the test, which means that 30% of players could in fact tell the difference between joints. That however is not at all correct as there was no proof that even one person had the ability to be able to reliably tell the difference between joints, much less that 30% could (the results were really no better than what would be expected with everybody just randomly guessing).

Now out of all the guesses that were made by everybody, 30% of all those guesses ended up being correct, but it was not demonstrated that even one person had the ability to reliably be able to tell what type of joint was on a cue so 0% of the players actually possessed that ability as far as we could tell and the results were more of less the same as if everybody had just been randomly guessing. I was just correcting the important inaccuracy of a post.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
^^^^^
i wont debate your line of reasoning
this was not a peer review scientific article
it was assumed players were making what they felt were educated guesss based on experience and not flip a coin random guesses
you can interpret data in many ways
i think you like to be ...........
jmho
have a nice day

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
it was assumed players were making what they felt were educated guesss based on experience and not flip a coin random guesses
jmho
have a nice day
It is obviously over your head. Just because you aren't able to understand the difference between the two things doesn't mean that it isn't huge and important. And then you try to go and pass judgement on something you clearly don't understand which even you should be able to see is not too smart to do and you should probably refrain from doing it in the future for obvious reasons.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i will make note of who is giving me advice
and use it accordingly
😂

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jmho
have a nice day
Bottom line is the joint means VERY little(possibly nothing) in determining how any cue will play/feel. It holds the cue together and if does that ok then its effective. I've never bought a cue(40yrs worth of buying/trading) based on what joint was in it. Have had just about all at one time or another and they all did their job.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
i will make note of who is giving me advice
Yup, the person that does actually understand was the one giving you the "advice" on the thing you clearly and admittedly don't understand. Only an idiot would see a problem with that. What else you got to indicate more of your cluelessness this morning?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
90% of people think they are right 100% of the time

Fact is 10% of people are right 10% of the time

And 90% are wrong 100% of the time

Just ask me-I don’t know shit!

How’s that?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yup, the person that does actually understand was the one giving you the "advice" on the thing you clearly and admittedly don't understand. Only an idiot would see a problem with that. What else you got to indicate more of your cluelessness this morning?
you are a legend in your own mind
enjoy it

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny thing is I just made that up.

But the principal is in fact very true, the actual numbers are just estimates.

And as of this current post-I still don’t know shit. I’m just not to smart.

Smart enough to get into trouble
And
Not smart enough to get out of trouble….

But smart enough to keep it real

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

How’s that?

67 % of statistics are made up

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Funny thing is I just made that up.

But the principal is in fact very true, the actual numbers are just estimates.

And as of this current post-I still don’t know shit. I’m just not to smart.

Smart enough to get into trouble
And
Not smart enough to get out of trouble….

But smart enough to keep it real
Fatboy (Eric)
you are da man.... (y)
larry

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
you are a legend in your own mind
enjoy it
I corrected some misinformation on here as gets done here many, many times a day, and it was done cordially. You expressed that you weren't able to understand it. I took the time to try to explain it, a couple of times, again very cordially. Then you got all snooty for no reason whatsoever. Tell me how that makes any sense? Obviously I responded in kind at that point.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

How’s that?
They say that three percent of people
Use five to six percent of their brain
Ninety-seven percent use just three percent