What is the typical cost for table installation and setup?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I just paid $510 for set up and cloth on a 9' gold crown with 860. I was in a hurry to get it done before the wife returned from her trip. I'd say he did a fair job but I will definitely do it myself when I move it next year. I'm much more particular about the small things being done right. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. I'm too fussy to get it done in the time I had.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or...it could be that most people like you wouldn't know a good job from a bad one....because you don't know shit in the first place, afterall, people like you don't know the DIFFERENCE between a good pool table and a BAD one!

Right on cue!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked you what kind of pool table you owned....you never answered me, but I'd bet it's one i wouldn't work on because it's not worth a shit, and you really have no idea what kind of job was done on your pool table, because you don't know the difference anyway! All you were proud of was making the point of how cheap you got the job done for, like what you paid....should be the price everywhere, not just in TX! I can tell you for sure, without a doubt....it was a hack job....post up some pictures of your table and prove me wrong! If you'll notice in this thread....not ONE pool table mechanic chimed in about the pricing of the requested work....why do you suppose that is?

We can agree on one thing you said. Not one pool table mechanic chimed in. One who thinks he's one did but didn't offer anything. Fortunately a few folks did. I paid just under $500 to have mine moved and set up. But what do I know? Wait, I can think of a few things....this guy from up in the Atlanta area I think named Mark Gregory did all the GC,s where I play every day. He's the real deal. And I bet I'd rob you giving you 10-7.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

realkingcobra

Silver Member
We can agree on one thing you said. Not one pool table mechanic chimed in. One who thinks he's one did but didn't offer anything. Fortunately a few folks did. I paid just under $500 to have mine moved and set up. But what do I know? Wait, I can think of a few things....this guy from up in the Atlanta area I think named Mark Gregory did all the GC,s where I play every day. He's the real deal. And I bet I'd rob you giving you 10-7.

Mark Gregory and i are best friends and talk pretty much daily....and trust me, I'm the real deal too....LOL as far as robbing me at 10-7....what does that even mean when it comes to being able to work on pool tables? There may be quite a few boxers today that could knock out George Foreman, but they wouldn't be ztl standing with him in the ring 30 years ago. I quit playinv pool 28 years ago, how good were you playing back then?....LOL

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I asked you a question before you ever asked me anything, you didn't bother to respond,then complain and insult me because I didn't answer, lol thumbup:

I live and work on pool tables all over the United States, including Alaska. I'm also involved with Diamond pool tables and convert the red label Diamonds to the blue label designed rails, as i did for the factory. My home base if you wa t to call it that, is Medical Lake, WA which is near Spokane, WA. As far as my charge to move and set up a pool table, the starting price to break it down is $250....depending on if there's problems in that, the price goes up. To set it back up, that starts at $300 and goes up if there's problems as well. If the pool table is not of a quality build, i don't take the job just to get paid.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Gregory and i are best friends and talk pretty much daily....and trust me, I'm the real deal too....LOL as far as robbing me at 10-7....what does that even mean when it comes to being able to work on pool tables? There may be quite a few boxers today that could knock out George Foreman, but they wouldn't be ztl standing with him in the ring 30 years ago. I quit playinv pool 28 years ago, how good were you playing back then?....LOL

I too was playing better 28 years ago. Considerably better unfortunately. But if you're really in the class of that Atlanta guy, and I have no idea if you are or not, then why do you choose to be so crusty? If you're semi retired and have the luxury of picking and choosing what job to take why not be a valued resource for not only the die hard pool folks who are dumping big bucks on Diamond and GC but also the newbie who is putting an old valley in his garage? Long term paying it forward will be better for you than getting all riled up for no reason.

The benefit dig was a Dick move by me, sorry bout that.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I too was playing better 28 years ago. Considerably better unfortunately. But if you're really in the class of that Atlanta guy, and I have no idea if you are or not, then why do you choose to be so crusty? If you're semi retired and have the luxury of picking and choosing what job to take why not be a valued resource for not only the die hard pool folks who are dumping big bucks on Diamond and GC but also the newbie who is putting an old valley in his garage? Long term paying it forward will be better for you than getting all riled up for no reason.

I have tried to help this industry out as best i can. I've trained some table mechanics, helped Diamond design their coin op pool tables as well as showing them many other things. I made the Simonis cloth installation DVDs to better the class of work all over the world. I helped Kerry in the design of the ridgeback rails. I invented the Diamond ball polisher. What more should i do, when nothing i do seems to get through to the main stream public, to them a pool table is just a pool table, and they're all the same, from junk to great, they cor the most part wouldn't know the difference. If it has cloth on it, and balls bounce off the rails, then it's a great pool table! As far as being compared to Mark, we both do things to pool tables that are at different ends of the extreme scale, but we both know how to build a great playing pool table, and neither out plays the other.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thats a free floating, 3 piece slate turned into a one piece slate, with a 32 point leveling system, and not 1 staple was used to install the bed cloth, not even in the pockets. The cloth was installed using my gluing system, same as Diamond today uses, and have been using since i showed them back in July 2000.

Attachments

• 20170420_180410_resize_20170502_114256.jpg
    20170420_180410_resize_20170502_114256.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 274

realkingcobra

Silver Member

By the way, Mark uses my system for installing cloth today, loved it when i showed him about 9 years ago.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm moving along in the process of buying a table. One option I have is to buy online and have the table delivered to me. Assuming I can find a good mechanic in my area, what can I expect to pay for him or her to setup a new table?

Joe, when ya get a waterpump installed on your car, it most likely depends on where the heck ya live, +++. In San Francisco, it's quite different than in KY. Local labor in your area will definitely effect your situation. Understanding this, it will give you an idea of what a fair price is for anothers Labor. Get a few quotes or more. By talking to the installers, a sense of trust or no trust will occur, plus each person will say different things, which is valuable info.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You aren't new here, are You?

If you were to review Glen's posts, you would find he has shared an unbelievable amount of what would be considered proprietary secrets in many other industries.

He does not suffer fools lightly and has a hair trigger, for sure.

Joe Mags

Registered
Wow, I hadn't checked this thread in a few days. Didn't realize how "spirited" it got! :)
I should have mentioned that I live just outside Myrtle Beach, SC. I was just trying to get a rough idea before I took all the next logical steps of vetting installers etc. I also should have been more clear about the details of my installation as I envision it. What I was asking specifically about was buying a new furniture style table and having it delivered to my house. At the minimum I would have the boxes of parts in the room the table is going. I've started checking around and was referred to a mechanic in my town who is supposed to be a Brunswick certified tech with 40 years of experience. His website is 8ballwizard dot com. Any info on him would be appreciated. Thank you to all who have helped here thus far. I really appreciate it.

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or...it could be that most people like you wouldn't know a good job from a bad one....because you don't know shit in the first place, afterall, people like you don't know the DIFFERENCE between a good pool table and a BAD one!

You sound like an arrogant jerk. It doesn't matter how good you can set a table up with that attitude.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
J By talking to the installers, a sense of trust or no trust will occur, plus each person will say different things, which is valuable info.
And keep in mind guarantees are worthless. Once it's done it's done. And if they come back you'll get the same job as the first time. Most techs are better salesman than operators.
His website is 8ballwizard dot com. Any info on him would be appreciated. Thank you to all who have helped here thus far. I really appreciate it.
I do not know 8ballwizard and cannot flame him....

However I had certified/authorized Brunswick techs and they were 100% mediocre. Pockets not calibrated. Level off. Over tightening of cast pocket covers, Keep researching...let the replies build and a quality tech will come up. Be patient. You'll learn a lot here

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thats a free floating, 3 piece slate turned into a one piece slate, with a 32 point leveling system, and not 1 staple was used to install the bed cloth, not even in the pockets. The cloth was installed using my gluing system, same as Diamond today uses, and have been using since i showed them back in July 2000.

Nice job. Our clubhouse tables had more staples than Staples and Office Depot. The stapled area looked like a scrap iron yard. It damaged the tables in time.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I believe my last table was set up by a guy who took some training from Glen. The table was great. He DID however, use the tool I made for stretching cloth. The no staples deal is definitely the way to go.