When do you pull up on a nut bet.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me explain this one. I have been playing a friend for a couple of years. I always had the nut and took home a few dollars after each session. We always had a pretty even game but I just happened to win most of the time.

Now my friend is playing one pocket five days a week and the last time we played he beat me five games in a row, the session before that I was up a couple of games and he came back and ended up a four game winner. I have lost the last nine games of one hole to him so I pulled out of it. I told him no more one pocket and I got most of my money back at nine ball.

This guy is a dedicated ATM machine, he plays the best players in town and loses constantly. Now he is on a one pocket trip and I cant keep up with him.

Our mutual friend who is a A player tells me that I should keep playing him because I have a chance to win but after a nine game lose I don't think so.

So, what is the honorable thing to do, keep playing him one pocket until he gets back the few hundred I won over the last two years or pull up.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly have to say you can't be much of a friend if you were happy to take his money when you could always beat him and now that you can't you won't play because you actually have to give his money back.

RonsTheOne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is NOT meant to be disrespectful
I would say grow some heart. 9 games in a row may sound like a lot, but it was over only two sessions. Try to figure out what he is doing differently (or what you are doing differently). I would at least give it a couple more sessions..................Ron

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would play a session of 9 ball then a session of one pocket, that way you and your friend would be about even. When you learn one pocket then you can continue to take
his money. You can't always have the best of the game, thats not gambling. 9 games down in two session is not that much, if you enjoy one pocket you should make it a personal challenge to learn more about the game. It is a great game, be happy you have someone to play it with that is about your same speed. Just my 2 cents. Tom

inas502

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your friend is getting better because he is bettin and playin better players.... Give him a chance to get even and you might improve also. just my .02

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
I'd like to relate a story from the other perspective. Maybe it will help with your dilemma.

My uncle used to golf with a few guys every Saturday. Friends. Not just a couple of guys to fill a foursome. When they played, they always had to bet. Always. Fewest strokes on this hole. Longest drive on this hole. Closest to the pin. Longest putt. And most of the time, these were $10-20 bets. On top of that, at the end of 18 holes, the higher scores had to pay the lowest score the difference in dollars. That alone usually cost my uncle about $25 because of the stroke difference. Maybe a few times he'd break even, or only lose $25-$30 if he could hit a good drive or make a long putt on a money hole.
One Friday, my uncle was laid off from his job. He went to the golf course that Saturday, played the same guys, and lost about $80. The next day, he went out and played 18 holes. Then Monday, played another 18. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 18 holes per day.
Saturday came around, and when he played his regular foursome, he was on fire !!! He was so hot, he won all the 'per hole' bets, and came in something like -6 under the next guy. He ended up winning around $180, I think.
It had always been customary for the winner to buy the first round of drinks. So these guys settle up as they're walking off the 18th, and they meet up in the clubhouse. These guys come in, small talk while they drink, and then proceed to tell my uncle that they "can't play with him anymore", because he's "too good". So after a few profanities, my uncle tells them point blank, "You f***in' guys didn't have a problem taking my money over the past two seasons. I have a good day, and you f***ers wanna quit ?"
He told me that the thing that bothered him the most was that they quit as soon as he started winning. These were (supposedly) his friends. He continued to play, and lose. He ended up shooting way over his head that day, and they wanted to call it quits.
He hasn't talked to any of those guys since that day.

In all reality, your friend simply may be on a hot streak for the moment.

But if it were me in your shoes, I would continue to play and bet, at least for a while. Especially if you value the friendship.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with your responses, it is sort of like quiting when you are ahead in the overall situation.

I have purchased the scott frost video and upscale one pocket book. The area where my friend is coming in strong is at the end part of the game with monster banks.

I am going to order the banking with the beard book too to see if I can add better banking to my game.

But my friend is on a one pocket trip, he is playing five days a week, I have not played in three weeks now that my daughter is out of school for the summer. I don't know if I CAN catch up.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, big difference between a friend and an ATM machine. Figure out which one he is to you and I think you'll have your answer.

AchtBall

Banned
I agree with your responses, it is sort of like quiting when you are ahead in the overall situation.

I have purchased the scott frost video and upscale one pocket book. The area where my friend is coming in strong is at the end part of the game with monster banks.

I am going to order the banking with the beard book too to see if I can add better banking to my game.

But my friend is on a one pocket trip, he is playing five days a week, I have not played in three weeks now that my daughter is out of school for the summer. I don't know if I CAN catch up.

Whats your friends name?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to relate a story from the other perspective. Maybe it will help with your dilemma.

My uncle used to golf with a few guys every Saturday. Friends. Not just a couple of guys to fill a foursome. When they played, they always had to bet. Always. Fewest strokes on this hole. Longest drive on this hole. Closest to the pin. Longest putt. And most of the time, these were $10-20 bets. On top of that, at the end of 18 holes, the higher scores had to pay the lowest score the difference in dollars. That alone usually cost my uncle about $25 because of the stroke difference. Maybe a few times he'd break even, or only lose $25-$30 if he could hit a good drive or make a long putt on a money hole.
One Friday, my uncle was laid off from his job. He went to the golf course that Saturday, played the same guys, and lost about $80. The next day, he went out and played 18 holes. Then Monday, played another 18. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 18 holes per day.
Saturday came around, and when he played his regular foursome, he was on fire !!! He was so hot, he won all the 'per hole' bets, and came in something like -6 under the next guy. He ended up winning around $180, I think.
It had always been customary for the winner to buy the first round of drinks. So these guys settle up as they're walking off the 18th, and they meet up in the clubhouse. These guys come in, small talk while they drink, and then proceed to tell my uncle that they "can't play with him anymore", because he's "too good". So after a few profanities, my uncle tells them point blank, "You f***in' guys didn't have a problem taking my money over the past two seasons. I have a good day, and you f***ers wanna quit ?"
He told me that the thing that bothered him the most was that they quit as soon as he started winning. These were (supposedly) his friends. He continued to play, and lose. He ended up shooting way over his head that day, and they wanted to call it quits.
He hasn't talked to any of those guys since that day.

In all reality, your friend simply may be on a hot streak for the moment.

But if it were me in your shoes, I would continue to play and bet, at least for a while. Especially if you value the friendship.

thats why i make it a point not to gamble with friends. the most i would play for with friends is for a beer or 2 which i would have no problem buying for them in the 1st place.

Zivan1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me explain this one. I have been playing a friend for a couple of years. I always had the nut and took home a few dollars after each session. We always had a pretty even game but I just happened to win most of the time.

Now my friend is playing one pocket five days a week and the last time we played he beat me five games in a row, the session before that I was up a couple of games and he came back and ended up a four game winner. I have lost the last nine games of one hole to him so I pulled out of it. I told him no more one pocket and I got most of my money back at nine ball.

This guy is a dedicated ATM machine, he plays the best players in town and loses constantly. Now he is on a one pocket trip and I cant keep up with him.

Our mutual friend who is a A player tells me that I should keep playing him because I have a chance to win but after a nine game lose I don't think so.

So, what is the honorable thing to do, keep playing him one pocket until he gets back the few hundred I won over the last two years or pull up.

How bad did he beat you? Losing 9 games isn't bad if the scores were like 8-7 8-6 8-5. Now if your friend is beating you 8-1 8-2 every game then I can see why you would have a problem. If he really is your friend and you want to play 9 ball then spot him something. If he really doesn't want a spot from you then give him some odds on the money that would make the game a bit more even. Or if you guys want to play one pocket and he is the clear favorite make the game 9-8 or 10-8 depending how much better he is than you.

Seems like to me you had no problem taking his money but now that it's your turn to donate you have a problem. I say you should keep playing one pocket but find a spot where it's even for both players and when one player wins a bit too much adjust again. If you two really are friends this shouldn't be hard, if you're just sad because you lost your 9 ball ATM machine because it went to one pocket, then either learn one pocket or find a new "friend".

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member

It's only a couple hundred over the course of two or three years! That's my bar tab for a night. Don't be a nit. Man up and play.

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re-reading the original post, it sounds like y'all went from nearly even and you just happened to win to now he's smoking you without even trying. That's definitely a case where I'd look for some kind of weight or handicap. Definitely keep playing, though. You never know, you might get better playing him.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Sounds a little chicken Shit to me!!:)

JIMO

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing nine ball we would break even after two or three hours of play 50 percent of the time, I would win maybe 35% and he would win 15%.

We started playing one pocket and we played even for about a year. About two, three months ago he gets on a kick and starts playing one pocket five days a week.

It is not the money that matters, but hey, I don't know about you but playing any game against anyone where you are getting beat each game gets old quick. I am sorry I want to win a few of the games even if I lose the set.

And my friend bets high against other players and there is where he is like an ATM machine. He plays much better players and goes off for a couple of hundred.

And there are a couple of other guys in our little group of friends who have already told him NO MAS, NO MAS at one pocket.

Basically, over the last couple of years our little group always made adjustments and nobody left losing alot of money.

I think this is the basic problem, WE FEEL BAD ABOUT TELLING HIM HE IS JUST TOO GOOD FOR US.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I reread my first post and I should have said that we played about even but I did win more than he did.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Play him again. If you lose, ask for weight. If he doesn't want to give up the weight, ask to play 9ball. If he doesn't want to do that, quit and find new action. Sounds like he's got plenty of action and you have none. Branch out and gamble some.

I was with you until you said you were only up a couple hundred dollars. I would reccomend not worrying about it until he hits 5K or more.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Hey PaulieB,

But wait this is AZBilliards where a lot of people define everyone they ever hit one ball with or even were in the same pool hall with as a friend if it benefits them in a situation. i.e. You show up at a pool hall and a pro is hitting balls practicing for a tournament and you go to another state, someone starts talking about said pro and you chime in oh ya were friends we were just playing last week. I'd like $1 for every time I've heard that story and you ask the player who is "insert name here" and they say no clue never heard of them. Can I get an Amen on that story?

I would not gamble with my friends (a few friends) period.

Alas, this is the mentality of pool which is what makes it so unattractive, you can't match up with anyone beacause eveyrone things eveyrone else is out to steal, and everyone is your friend, except when you win 9 games relative to the 100 games you have lost.

Best I can say to you is please learn the difference between

Friends
Buddy's
Acquaintance's
Hi-Bye's

If you are gambling with someone you are not friends with them.

Yeah, big difference between a friend and an ATM machine. Figure out which one he is to you and I think you'll have your answer.

Last edited: