Who Is Best Bar Box Player In Usa?

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Random thoughts.....

Pattern play is somwhat overrated on a bar table. I sometimes wonder if Jesse even realizes how tough some of the shots he shoots really are. He shoots everything like it is a hanger and usually at warp speed. I wonder if youth is an advantage in this regard as well?

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know exactly what you mean, Dogginda9. When Keith was young he would slam a cut shot in the corner and let the cue ball fly up and down the table knowing it didn't matter where it landed because he was going to make the next shot any way. Buddy played better position than anyone ever but Keith was like Jesse, it didn't matter where the cue ball was, he was out.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
There used to be a guy from up on the mountain here in TN. He was nicknamed "mountain man" (Duh). He carried a 12lb cue ball. He was hard to beat. I haven't seen him in years.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Vonn31 said:
There used to be a guy from up on the mountain here in TN. He was nicknamed "mountain man" (Duh). He carried a 12lb cue ball. He was hard to beat. I haven't seen him in years.

His real name is Steve Edwards. He hung around the Cincinnati area for a while. He busted me once, but it was because I was staking him! Bad move huh? Yeah no one knew Johnny Archer then! I just wished I'd played him myself! (not that I would have won, but it wouldn't have hurt as much)

just more hot air!

Sherm

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve Edwards was a real character. I used to see him at the larger tournaments in Atlanta. He was middle of the field among the shortstops and pros. Many would give him weight playing nineball, but none would play him even with the 1.375" cue ball. I asked Wade Crane today who he thinks is the present day best bar table player. He said Reid Pierce is the best with David Matlock still capable of being the best on any given day. During the 1980's not many wanted any part of Paul Turner on the bar box. He was giving almost everyone weight at the big tournaments back then. Another one from the late 80's and the early 90's is Joe Lawrence. He was like a machine on the bar box. If his break was a little better I don't think anyone could have beat him in the long run. Justin Bergman came through the night before last and busted everyone giving up lots of weight. How good does this kid play the bar box?

Last edited:

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best Bar ox Player

It is interesting reading the opinions given regarding who is the best. The answer can best be given by the players chosen but in the end that would be incomplete too because they haven't all played each other. The opinions of us who are less than champions naturally are affected by emotions and sentiments. Consideration needs to be given to the variable conditions of the game too ie, tournaments, low stakes gambling, and high stakes gambling. Vernon Elliott was primarily a high stakes gambler and a shadowy figure. The fact he is even mentioned gives insight into how well he played. Never played in a tournament but showed up at many to play anyone if the money was right. To get an insight into how well Vernon really played ask Keith, Buddy, Ronnie Allen, Eddie Taylor, Shannon Daulton, Nick Varner, Freddie The Beard, (and fellow poster OHB)----the list of champions goes on and on, how Vernon played and how they matched up against him. He played all of them. Any champion can win on a given day but when the money gets high there are fewer standing. Not any of the champions I have talked to say they never went looking for Vernon. The game could be one pocket, 9 ball, or banks and the table any size. Vernon said the primary stipulation he had when playing a champion was the money had to be high because playing a world champion for bragging rights was stupid. About 4 years ago I chided Vernon into playing on our local BCA team. It was his first association with team play and although he downplayed his enjoyment, for a year he was normally the first to get there and never left until the last person played. He never beat a lower handicap player and only beat the higher handicaps if they were arrogant. We won the session and his share was $120! Right after the session he suffered a serious stroke. He was definitely one of the best ever!

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Putting your money where your mouth is....

I haven't seen many of the East coast or West Coast champions, but here in the Midwest---DAVID MATLOCK---is still the king. Anyone care to play him? I'll put the smoke signal out to have him come to St. Louis and put the first 1500 jellybeans on him. I am certain there would be ALOT MORE wagered behind him if anyone cared to play.

Eydie Romano

Finally Retired!
Silver Member
Bob and I have been talking about this and will come up with a venue for this playoff to happen sometime by the end of the year.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Eydie Romano said:
Bob and I have been talking about this and will come up with a venue for this playoff to happen sometime by the end of the year.

St Charles MO just built a nice new convention center with hotel attached.

Hopefully you will make the tournament winner breaks, long races to 13 or 15, with a high enough entry fee to keep out broke shortstops.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doug said:
It is interesting reading the opinions given regarding who is the best. The answer can best be given by the players chosen but in the end that would be incomplete too because they haven't all played each other. The opinions of us who are less than champions naturally are affected by emotions and sentiments. Consideration needs to be given to the variable conditions of the game too ie, tournaments, low stakes gambling, and high stakes gambling. Vernon Elliott was primarily a high stakes gambler and a shadowy figure. The fact he is even mentioned gives insight into how well he played. Never played in a tournament but showed up at many to play anyone if the money was right. To get an insight into how well Vernon really played ask Keith, Buddy, Ronnie Allen, Eddie Taylor, Shannon Daulton, Nick Varner, Freddie The Beard, (and fellow poster OHB)----the list of champions goes on and on, how Vernon played and how they matched up against him. He played all of them. Any champion can win on a given day but when the money gets high there are fewer standing. Not any of the champions I have talked to say they never went looking for Vernon. The game could be one pocket, 9 ball, or banks and the table any size. Vernon said the primary stipulation he had when playing a champion was the money had to be high because playing a world champion for bragging rights was stupid. About 4 years ago I chided Vernon into playing on our local BCA team. It was his first association with team play and although he downplayed his enjoyment, for a year he was normally the first to get there and never left until the last person played. He never beat a lower handicap player and only beat the higher handicaps if they were arrogant. We won the session and his share was $120! Right after the session he suffered a serious stroke. He was definitely one of the best ever!
I have asked three former pros about Vernon. One got beat by him. The other two said Vernon was one of the best bank pool players in the country, but had little chance against the very top pros in one pocket or nine ball. One told me Vernon was one of the best gamblers he knew, because he knew how to set the game. He knew when to get weight and when to give it and how much he needed or could give in order to win. He was also famous for getting weight when he really could have been giving it. He was a true Hustler from what they told me.

My Money Is On

Yea I Have To Agree Anyone Wanting To Play Matlock In St. Louis I Will Bet Real High On Him...or Even James Walden..lets Make It Happen....please

Al-fahl Amir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
I haven't seen many of the East coast or West Coast champions, but here in the Midwest---DAVID MATLOCK---is still the king. Anyone care to play him? I'll put the smoke signal out to have him come to St. Louis and put the first 1500 jellybeans on him. I am certain there would be ALOT MORE wagered behind him if anyone cared to play.

If you want to bring Dave to OH, or anyone else for that matter, Corey will play a head set of 8-ball and 9-ball on the bar box with them for 5,000 to 20,000. amc4

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
cuesmith said:
His real name is Steve Edwards. He hung around the Cincinnati area for a while. He busted me once, but it was because I was staking him! Bad move huh? Yeah no one knew Johnny Archer then! I just wished I'd played him myself! (not that I would have won, but it wouldn't have hurt as much)

just more hot air!

Sherm
I remember that he drank ton of Jack Daniels.

MT

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
Eydie Romano said:
How about it not being so far on the West Coast this time???????

MT

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
markcobb1972 said:
i said st louis nothing about ohio...

Ohio's fine with me! From what I've seen, there's more Ohioans on AZ than from anywhere else! I know of several from Cincinnati alone!

Just more hot air!

Sherm > in Cincinnati!

bb81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being from Oklahoma, I have to say that most people around here think that James Walden is king. I like James, and he's a good friend of mine, and plays superior pool when compared to most people around these parts. But, I've known David Matlock most of my life. David is probably one of the smoothest pool players I've ever seen. And he plays all games, and plays most of them well. If any of you know Bill Dugan (sp?), he will tell you. That while he staked Dave on the road, that he was the best on a bar table. Open invitation to anyone who could beat David on a bar box, 10 ahead set for 10 dimes. That was an open invitation for almost 15 years, and David didn't lose many. If I'm not mistaken, Earl came to Ponca City when David was staying there and he tried to beat David on a bar box, and was unsuccessful. As was David Howard when he came out this way to play David.

But, times have changed and so have people. As someone said in an earlier post, that on any given day, anyone can be the king of the bar table. Everyone get's bad rolls, even when they are playing their best.

For those of you that are friends with David, please give him your condolences when you see him. His mother passed away while he was playing out in Reno.

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
I am

I changed my mind, I have decided that im the best bar box player in the USA.....with the right kind of weight.. any one want to give me the 2 out, and the breaks? I have money... :p

Mack

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
I'll bet you do have money!

stolz2 said:
I changed my mind, I have decided that im the best bar box player in the USA.....with the right kind of weight.. any one want to give me the 2 out, and the breaks? I have money... :p

Mack

If those are the spots your used to getting - You should have a whole wagon full of cash.

TY & GL