Who is having a cue built in 2017? Post pictures once you recieve it.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
johnny;

there is an awful lot to love about this cue design. :cool:

the cocbolo is gorgeous and I really like the fleur-de-lis and reverse points design in the buttsleeve.

Dan did a brilliant job for you.

enjoy!

best,
brian kc

Thanks. The coco, especially the butt piece is really nice. . I just compared the coco to my Lambros and I think the new cue has even nicer coco than the Lambros, which surprised me.. I like it more every time I look at it. Opening up a box with a new cue in it, having only the barest hint of what it will look like was really fun. Giving cuemakers complete control is the way I will go from now on. Just some really general ideas and let them work their knowledge and magic.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Just got my new Dan Janes (Joss) custom today. He had received in some really nice cocobolo and agreed to make me a cue. I did not provide any directions so it is completely his design.

5 points, variation of Titlist colors, reverse points in butt, white with double black Cortland wrap.

It is signed by Dan, and has my name on it as well.

Very happy with it. Quite unique and beautiful, Have not played with it yet,

Nice cue but.

Send it back and have the same inlays put into the forearm, then the cue will be perfect.

Kevin

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice cue but.

Send it back and have the same inlays put into the forearm, then the cue will be perfect.

Kevin

I thought of that but with 5 points the Fleur-de-lis in the points might make it pretty busy. It is very elegant the way it is. i am sure Dan considered it.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I thought of that but with 5 points the Fleur-de-lis in the points might make it pretty busy. It is very elegant the way it is. i am sure Dan considered it.

I tend to agree. When you get to that end of the stick - there's a lot less room to work with. I gave him a "look" on one of his custom styles I said to follow, it showed the kind of thing I liked. When I got my "hand-built" I noticed he didn't put the diamond inlay in the point - but with the added veneers - I don't think it would have looked right. I also noticed that he didn't put the "hand built" in my sig. - but instead he did the old block style lettering. Dan has a pretty good eye IMO as far as art goes. I think his truly "one of a kind" cues tend to have some subtle differences that simply amaze.

But I do have to say - I LOVE cocobolo wood, especially the highly figured pieces. Wonder if he's got any more of that batch left?

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to agree. When you get to that end of the stick - there's a lot less room to work with. I gave him a "look" on one of his custom styles I said to follow, it showed the kind of thing I liked. When I got my "hand-built" I noticed he didn't put the diamond inlay in the point - but with the added veneers - I don't think it would have looked right. I also noticed that he didn't put the "hand built" in my sig. - but instead he did the old block style lettering. Dan has a pretty good eye IMO as far as art goes. I think his truly "one of a kind" cues tend to have some subtle differences that simply amaze.

But I do have to say - I LOVE cocobolo wood, especially the highly figured pieces. Wonder if he's got any more of that batch left?

I think he set aside some of the best pieces for customs. It is beautiful coco in mine.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Plus he did 5 points to add more color so each point has less room for an inlay. I would guess if he decided on 4 points he would have inlaid the points.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are a few I received in 2017...

Attachments

• JMW RH.jpg
    JMW RH.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Treadway SBE17.jpg
    Treadway SBE17.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Manzino17_1.jpg
    Manzino17_1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Manzino Rivendell.jpg
    Manzino Rivendell.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Hercek Blue.jpg
    Hercek Blue.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 189

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the Olney slipped to 2018. We should have a similar thread for 2018 I think this is a fun one. Jeff says cue is almost done and I should have the pictures soon but it is so cold the cue would freeze in shipping so likely a week or two out. Excited to get it, Jeff says he used a special piece of Bocote he has had for 20 years.