Who is/was the Best Trick Shot AND Pool Player

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm...So true! Semih Sayginer is beyond belief, with some of his stroke shots!:eek::grin: I vividly remember watching Sayginer play Sang Lee, in the World Championship, the last time it was in Vegas ('99?). I was sitting with Mike Massey, Tom Rossman, Sarge (Ken Aylesworth), Chef Anton, and George Middleditch. We were anxiously awaiting Sayginer's 3-C trickshot exhibition, which was to occur, immediately following the match with Sang Lee. The final was a barnburner, with great play from both...but the trickshot show was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. You had to be there...six well-known trickshot artists, sitting together in the stands, hootin' and hollerin', every time Semih would make some amazing shot. What fun that was! I remember that Massey immediately went down to try to get Semih to trade videos...Mike's for Semih's (they were recording it for later sale). They did the trade! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

For pool, it's Mike Massey.

If all cuesports are considered, however, only Semih Sayginer is both a world champion and a masterful trick shot artist.

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
definitely massey... but the black widow is actually a heck of a trick shot artist and obviously a fantastic player. So is A. Fisher.

But, it's DEFINITELY massey.

mattiefingaz

Professional Photographer
Silver Member
I heard it was some guy called Fast Larry... :grin-square:

LMAO....that would be the case if Mr. Guninger's vote was the only one that counted.

Mr. Massey would have to be my vote....8 ball champion, 9 ball champion and an over 200 ball run in 14.1....all this without even venturing into his trick shot credentials....Also, from what I've heard...one of the nicest guys on the planet...I've never had the opportunity to meet him so I may be wrong on that one, but I doubt it highly.

Sounds like the goods to me...

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Massey is the tops in pool, by a wide margin, at least among current players. I don't know anything about Willie Mosconi's trick shot skills though, or those of other bygone champions who also did trick shot exhibitions.

If we consider all cue sports, I have to cast my vote for Semih Sayginer.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
sjm...So true! Semih Sayginer is beyond belief, with some of his stroke shots!:eek::grin: I vividly remember watching Sayginer play Sang Lee, in the World Championship, the last time it was in Vegas ('99?). I was sitting with Mike Massey, Tom Rossman, Sarge (Ken Aylesworth), Chef Anton, and George Middleditch. We were anxiously awaiting Sayginer's 3-C trickshot exhibition, which was to occur, immediately following the match with Sang Lee. The final was a barnburner, with great play from both...but the trickshot show was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. You had to be there...six well-known trickshot artists, sitting together in the stands, hootin' and hollerin', every time Semih would make some amazing shot. What fun that was! I remember that Massey immediately went down to try to get Semih to trade videos...Mike's for Semih's (they were recording it for later sale). They did the trade! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Sounds pretty similar to my experience at the 1992 US Open 14.1 event at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City. Between the women's final won by Loree Jon Jones over Ewa Mataya and the men's final won by Mike Sigel over Dallas West, Mike Massey, whom I'd never even heard of before, gave one of his first ever trick shot shows before a large audience, and for many of his peers, it was the first time they caught his show. Watching the superstars of 14.1 oohing and aahing as Massey did his thing was really amazing.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LMAO....that would be the case if Mr. Guninger's vote was the only one that counted.

Mr. Massey would have to be my vote....8 ball champion, 9 ball champion and an over 200 ball run in 14.1....all this without even venturing into his trick shot credentials....Also, from what I've heard...one of the nicest guys on the planet...I've never had the opportunity to meet him so I may be wrong on that one, but I doubt it highly.

Sounds like the goods to me...

Yep, besides being a teriffic player... he is a genuine good egg!

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi was the greatest player ever, and he was also the greastest trick shot player ever.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
There has been a few threads about trick shot artist being B players and trick shot artist being world class players. Who is/was the best all round trick shot artist and pool player?

Two players come to my mind:

Mike Massey - The best all round trick shot pool player ever?

Jack White - This guy could play!

Comments will be appreciated.

Massey....

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
When I was a kid there was this guy on late night TV named Benny Hill. He made a couple shots that were unbelieveable.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
If so Semih Sayginer is in there

Semih is up there, but he only plays 3 cushion well and only does trick shots on a 3 cushion table. Mike can do his shots on 3 cushion, snooker, or regular tables.

When he lived in Indiana he was a great wealth of information for lots of people.

Magik Wandzzzzz

Cue Builder Since 1973
Silver Member
Dieckman Sayzzzzzzzzzzzz

In the past, they guy who had inscribed on his cue: "SHOW ME A SHOT I CAN'T MAKE !!!" I think his name was Johnny Layton.

Currently: Mike Massey and Samih

The Future: Jamison Neu [that is if he ever gets his act and sh#t together which may or may not ever happen--if he does, WATCH OUT WORLD !!!]

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
In the past, they guy who had inscribed on his cue: "SHOW ME A SHOT I CAN'T MAKE !!!" I think his name was Johnny Layton.

Currently: Mike Massey and Samih

The Future: Jamison Neu [that is if he ever gets his act and sh#t together which may or may not ever happen--if he does, WATCH OUT WORLD !!!]

Thank You!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
trick shot show

Who is ready for a show? We need people more than willing to come and see the trck shot action in the midwest area...earlyer I said its in the works...now its in the books...who is comin? I won't tell secrects if u guys aren't pumped about seeing the champ.....I need some chatter n I will deliver if this goes well..

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
mike massey trick shot show

I can't believe u guys are not pumped up about the grand champ trick shot master...I could be giving away free tickets to a few lucky people if we can get some chatter about the master and this event...I am also selling VIP seats $15... --
OCT-7
location-- ---------- miller time billiards
2902 E.kimberly RD
Davenport,IA 52806

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
charles peterson [of the hoppe era] was the original -show me a shot i cant make-

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
trick shots

I remember in the 70's Jack White would come to the military base and do trick shots he was great and the show was the best. I played him probably 15 times at different bases,& loved it. He gave me my first nice cue a Palmer 2nd catolog L model I loved it. I played Massey in several tournaments in the early 80' seen many of his exibitions back then both were great. Jack had a class at Morton College in Chicago he was not just a talker he could play very well and a stroke like no one else great guys both. I guess I think Mike was the overall best but I really liked Jack White.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
But was Willie as good with the cue, as he was with the public?

Well from what Charlie has told me Willie could be as charming as anyone alive. It took very little disrespect to set him off. I guess Earl is a lot like Willie in that respect, as are many other accomplished solitaire experts.

I hope this helps I am going to try, and tell you what I think about that topic after the years of discussing this topic with Mr. Ursitti. Willie Mosconi learned early in life to deal with people. He was getting paid to play since he was a very young boy. Over the years, and was a celebrity, and a Champion. He was very well adjusted to the lifestyle.

I think that after his stroke he had a harder time controlling his temper for a few years, and this is the time he gained the reputation as being a hot head.

After he started playing pool again from his ten year recovery from the stroke, the only guy that could really un-nerve him was Fats. This was all part of the showmanship that Fats understood better than almost anyone living.

By the time Willie mellowed out again the story of his temper had been set in stone.

Toward the end of his life he was again loved by everyone.

This is my interpretation of the reelection's of Charlie Ursitti. I spoke to Charlie well over a hundred hours about the stats, and facts surrounding Willie Mosconi, and the legends of that day. Charlie had hundreds maybe thousands of tales to tell about the tourneys he attended. Charlie was the TD back then, he also managed Willie Mosconi for many many years. You will see him on ABC he is the referee in the shows. I would say that he spent a very large amount of time around him.

Anyway I think that answers your one sentence question. lol

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't have the experience or history for enough perspective to be able to judge between players, but I was very fortunate to get to see Mike Massey in person in November. It's one thing to see trick shots on TV or YouTube, but to be 10 feet away as he puts the ball into that boot.... wow!

He is most certainly a master showman. And certainly seems to be as nice a person as a player. Quite a privilege to see him in person, in a small club out in my corner of nowhere.