Willie Mosconi - I've got a secret

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Last I watched the I've Got a Secret video.from '62. I counted three shots where he either did a last minute grip adjustment, or perhaps a slip stroke. On four shots he does not. And on eight shots you can't tell. On the two trick shots he shoots (six-on-one and the RR Shot) he does not use a slip stroke.
Lou Figueroa

Gee, Lou, I count only two shots in the I've Got A Secret video where you can clearly see his backhand from the beginning of the backstroke to the end, and both of those showed the modest slip (these were the break shot and the one following). I count two more where you can see his backhand but only on the forward motion of the final stroke and I can't tell whether he slipped or not - they were short shots and maybe he didn't. In some other shots I tried what you must have done, to see whether he ends up further back on the wrap than where he started but I can't reliably tell, since his slip, if it be such, is so modest.

I think I originally got the idea of Mosconi slipping from a George Fels column years ago called, if memory serves, "Slip Stroking Away" or something close to that. George discussed slip strokes in general and the men who used them, among whom he counted Mosconi.

And, yes, I saw him in person twice but I was just a baby. I didn't see a slip stroke then but I wasn't looking for it. Mainly I saw the back of some tall guy's head (tall guys - I hate 'em).

Rich

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gee, Lou, I count only two shots in the I've Got A Secret video where you can clearly see his backhand from the beginning of the backstroke to the end, and both of those showed the modest slip (these were the break shot and the one following). I count two more where you can see his backhand but only on the forward motion of the final stroke and I can't tell whether he slipped or not - they were short shots and maybe he didn't. In some other shots I tried what you must have done, to see whether he ends up further back on the wrap than where he started but I can't reliably tell, since his slip, if it be such, is so modest.

I think I originally got the idea of Mosconi slipping from a George Fels column years ago called, if memory serves, "Slip Stroking Away" or something close to that. George discussed slip strokes in general and the men who used them, among whom he counted Mosconi.

And, yes, I saw him in person twice but I was just a baby. I didn't see a slip stroke then but I wasn't looking for it. Mainly I saw the back of some tall guy's head (tall guys - I hate 'em).

Rich

Rich I was trying to give the slip stroke crowd any possible BOTD.

Whenever I saw Mosconi play, what struck me most -- besides his accuracy, perfect position, grace, and quick pace -- was his short grip. It was always far forward of all the recommended perpendicular forearms still advocated my most instructors today. Watching many of the old-timers -- including most recently Caras -- many, if not most of them like Mosconi, Greenleaf, Caras, Lassiter, Hoppe, et al, deployed a forward of perpendicular starting point for their strokes, without a slip stroke adjustment.

Even Bob Jewett said, way back when, Mosconi played with a slip stroke. But, having watched Mosconi several times with my own two peepers, it is one of the very, very few things I disagree with with Bob.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Even Bob Jewett said, way back when, Mosconi played with a slip stroke. But, having watched Mosconi several times with my own two peepers, it is one of the very, very few things I disagree with with Bob.

Lou Figueroa
Watching the videos, I tend to agree that Mosconi did not use a slip stroke on all shots, but I think he does "adjust his grip" (however we want to call it) on power shots so he ends up gripping closer to perpendicular. For those of us who saw him shoot more trick shots than regular shots (sadly) he may have seemed to usually slip.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Slip stroke, or not, it was enjoyable to watch the video posted. The only other glimpses I saw of Willies game were those special events they had on Wide World of Sports when he was well past his prime.

tmickle

Registered
Mosconi's 5 rail shot

I saw the real footage of Mosconi's shot in the late 70's. The match was being played in a large building with balcony seating and the people in the audience were dressed in evening clothes. I seemed to remember something about the baby but I can't remember what. I think he was handed a note but not sure. When he made the shot I was amazed. I had seen Mosconi once at a tournament and several times in exhibition. He didn't seem like the kind of guy that would shoot that shot under any circumstances. That night I went down to the House of Billiards in Santa Monica where I played and asked all my friends if they had seen it on TV. They hadn't. Over the years I have asked many players if they had seen that. No one ever said yes but some did know about the shot. I wish players could see the original footage now - it was truly magic.

T. Mickle