young kids gambling

CAR22

Registered
Well ppl i'm 22 and i've been playing and gambling sense i was 12. The frist time i played for big money i was 16 and i was playing race to 9 for $500 and i won. Thats what got me in to gambing. But now i am old enough to see how kids do its crazy. They will still and barrow money just to gamble. And lose it all in a few mins. Now dont get me wrong they're a few kids that play good but i still thank they shouldn't get in to gambing.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a no-win deal for adults gambling with children if they value other's opinion. You lose you don't get your money back, you take the kid's money and you are a sorry sack of poop.

No question that it is wrong for an adult to sucker a kid into gambling. On the other hand I have known underage hustlers by the dozen. I gambled regularly from a few days after I turned fifteen. I never asked for any quarter or gave any. The only people that thought it was wrong to gamble with a kid were the ones I clipped!

Hu

i don't think there's anything wrong with someone gambling with a kid and winning. imo it's better than beating old people out of cash. at least the kid's young enough to learn a lesson and has plenty of time to work to make up the cash

it's just another lesson for kids to learn. everyone has to learn sometime and sometimes the earlier the better.

CAR22

Registered
i don't think there's anything wrong with someone gambling with a kid and winning. Imo it's better than beating old people out of cash. At least the kid's young enough to learn a lesson and has plenty of time to work to make up the cash

it's just another lesson for kids to learn. Everyone has to learn sometime and sometimes the earlier the better.

ok well wat about the road players that that beat the kids out of money is that right too

Glendale

Banned
I'm just wanting to see how ppl feel about this young kids gamblin. And being in place were its 21 and up?

Young kids shouldn't be in a 21 and up place because, well...it's the law.

As far as young kids gambling, I don't see anything wrong with it. I started gambling in pool halls when I was around 13. Gotta take your beatings if you wanna get better. Nobody took it easy on me then, and I'm glad they didn't. It's a choice.

CAR22

Registered
well i personally don't see anything wrong with kids gambling, but young kid's going into an adult atmosphere is a no-no(bar-ect).

Although when i was growing up at around age 16, 30 or 40 yr. Old guy's would take me out of town to play pool in in bars and night clubs, i would win 2 or 300 dollars and they would give me say $50 and i was happy, but that count and split thing changed by the time i was 17 or 18, i really didn't want a backer, nor need one, but having someone older with you was nice if something bad happened, seems like that kind of stuff was going on more back then than now.

I know at age 14 i had the whole 9th grade class flippin quarters (odd man out) before school, at dinner , and in pe classes.....hehe, it became a fad, and i was the cause of it.

I remember pitching quarters to the wall to see who could get the closet, i got good at that game, every one at the pool hall played that.

I learned to play poker at that age, could stack a deck good as any grown up if i wanted too, shoot dice, and my specialty shooting pool, i beat most all grown ups for 100 miles of home town.

I sold news papers for a short while when i was 14yr. , bought 20 of them for 5 cents apiece, sold them for a dime, made a $1.00 in about three hrs. , and all the while i was selling them, all i could think about was how much money i could have done won at the poolhall, maybe $5.00......

As i look back , kids can gamble, but really need to do it with mostly kids of the same age untill they get 18yrs. Or so.

I do know i may have been an exception, but it did make me a good gambler of all games!

David harcrow

yeah i did the same lol i have just flip heads or tails for 50 and 100 just to show gamble so ppl would play.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> There was a short article about that in BD several years ago. The scene was the BCA Juniors event,and the general theme of the article was that the writer thought it was a little disturbing to see fathers of these kids woofing things like "my son will give your son the 8 for 3000",and that even the kids were barking in a smiliar fashion. Of course,these were also kids like Coltrain,Corey,and Charlie Williams too. Maybe it's a little different when you're talking about backing kids like that,because other than the maybe 10-15 other kids in America that play like that,they're stealing from most other players,even adults. There aren't that many players around that would have liked running into Coltrain even at 17.

I feel that if I had a teenage son that played like Landon Shuffett,where he's showing not only maturity but prodigious talent,that backing him in reasonable gambling games to have some heat on him is doing nothing but good for his game. He's not however,being put in a spot where his gambling is a source of income,like Dennis Hatch in his teens. He's also not being taught things like going into games with no money to pay off,like Jimmy Caras or Mosconi were. Tommy D.

CAR22

Registered
> there was a short article about that in bd several years ago. The scene was the bca juniors event,and the general theme of the article was that the writer thought it was a little disturbing to see fathers of these kids woofing things like "my son will give your son the 8 for 3000",and that even the kids were barking in a smiliar fashion. Of course,these were also kids like coltrain,corey,and charlie williams too. Maybe it's a little different when you're talking about backing kids like that,because other than the maybe 10-15 other kids in america that play like that,they're stealing from most other players,even adults. There aren't that many players around that would have liked running into coltrain even at 17.

I feel that if i had a teenage son that played like landon shuffett,where he's showing not only maturity but prodigious talent,that backing him in reasonable gambling games to have some heat on him is doing nothing but good for his game. He's not however,being put in a spot where his gambling is a source of income,like dennis hatch in his teens. He's also not being taught things like going into games with no money to pay off,like jimmy caras or mosconi were. Tommy d.

yeah but them kids play better then some of the raked players, and most of the kids that play dont have money for gas musless to pay for gambing

Last edited:

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Kids (and adults for that matter) don't HAVE to have money on a game to get better. Most of the time all the good MONEY players out there would be just as good of a shot if they weren't playing for money. Sure, money can be motivation for some, but drive (competitive drive) and passion have more to do with it in my opinion. If you are driven to win; you'll be driven to get better. That fire in the belly can be MUCH greater than the need to win for $$$. There are lots of ways to pay bills, but feeding a competitive bug can only be satisfied by WINNING. :p

I've said it before...Tiger Woods has enough money for a thousand lifetimes. He STILL wants to CRUSH everyone that he plays, win EVERY tourney, break EVERY record, and secure his place in history (as the BEST that's EVER lived). You can't tell me he wants to win merely for the paycheck..... :cool:

Glendale

Banned
im half a sleep lol been up like two days my granny just pasted oh where are you from, Im about to get back in to playing need a good plACE

I'm very sorry to hear about your granny. I'm from the Tampa Bay area. You should get some sleep...I can't sleep either lol. Just took a benadryl...that usually knocks me out.

CAR22

Registered
kids (and adults for that matter) don't have to have money on a game to get better. Most of the time all the good money players out there would be just as good of a shot if they weren't playing for money. Sure, money can be motivation for some, but drive (competitive drive) and passion have more to do with it in my opinion. If you are driven to win; you'll be driven to get better. That fire in the belly can be much greater than the need to win for $$$. There are lots of ways to pay bills, but feeding a competitive bug can only be satisfied by winning. :p

i've said it before...tiger woods has enough money for a thousand lifetimes. He still wants to crush everyone that he plays, win every tourney, break every record, and secure his place in history (as the best that's ever lived). You can't tell me he wants to win merely for the paycheck..... :cool:

well when i just play for fun i cant make myself play hard but shit put 25 cents on the table and ill play my best game ever

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
well when i just play for fun i cant make myself play hard but shit put 25 cents on the table and ill play my best game ever

there's YOUR motivation....(BTW, you don't HAVE to think of it as "just playing for fun")

I hit .522 my junior year in college (baseball, of course) without a cent for motivation (already had a scholly, no real chance for scouts to drool over me as a draft pick, and no sidebetting from friends about staying over the .500 mark). I just wanted to out-think, out-play, whatever the opposing pitcher.

I getcha though, I have buddies who have ZERO interest in watching, say, an NFL game unless they have something on it....if so, they won't miss a play. You, and "they" are the types I have no problem playing for money with - cuz I want my opponents BEST game!!!!

cuedaddy

Banned
My dad and I use to play almost every day all day.. To motivate me, he would get a $5 game or two out of the guys with his money on me. Now some may call it stupid, seeing as I was playing against guys that would easily run one on me without a sweat.. The swager, the poise, the way there face looked, there stroke, all came out a bit more when there pocket was on the line(not like $5 was shit but still). I had issues with my head game.. nerves would take over whenever anything real was at stake. Doing this for a year, my nerves loosened, and I was able to play in tournaments without throwing it on the first set. I think it was just part of being a young guy around so many older people in a enviroment that I was not used to.
Gambling can have its benefits. It can bring out the best, or worst in people. JMO

CAR22

Registered
there's your motivation....(btw, you don't have to think of it as "just playing for fun")

i hit .522 my junior year in college (baseball, of course) without a cent for motivation (already had a scholly, no real chance for scouts to drool over me as a draft pick, and no sidebetting from friends about staying over the .500 mark). I just wanted to out-think, out-play, whatever the opposing pitcher.

I getcha though, i have buddies who have zero interest in watching, say, an nfl game unless they have something on it....if so, they won't miss a play. You, and "they" are the types i have no problem playing for money with - cuz i want my opponents best game!!!!

i was in a bar about 5 months back and played some davied g. From knox. But any way ill get to my point i play a guy that was with him for 25 cents a game and beat him out of $20 and i beat david o about 300

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Maybe my experience is different than most it, but the pool halls I played in growing up were frequented mainly by kids. The good 'ol "Q Inn" that I hung out in was mainly the haunt of high school kids and a few from Jr. High. Yes, we gambled, pretty heavily actually, but it was among us, mainly of similar ages.

When we started to drive I would travel some looking for action, but that was mainly me at 16-17 playing a 19-20 year old (at the time you were a minor until 21).

I just can't co-sign a grown adult playing a teenager for money. It really is irrelevant if the kid is just as good a player. Just doesn't feel right to me.

Tournament play is a different story.

Last edited:

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
i was in a bar about 5 months back and played some davied g. From knox. But any way ill get to my point i play a guy that was with him for 25 cents a game and beat him out of $20 and i beat david o about 300

Like I said, that's your motivation, but it's certainly not everyones. I don't want to lose to a buddy while practicing just as much as I don't want to lose at a weekly local tourney, or a regional tour stop, or playing for $$$. I'm gonna be more ticked about losing a game, match, set, or whatever, than I am gonna be about losing lunch money for the week (or whatever, you get the picture).

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just wanting to see how ppl feel about this young kids gamblin. And being in place were its 21 and up?

Lol! I started playing when I was 16 and every guy in the room that played was trying to beat me out of the 20 bucks i had in my pocket. If it wasn't for them though I probably wouldn't know how to play because I wouldn't of started playing.