your paying too much for cues

shooter_Hans

I will pay 5k at most but realistically probably 2k. I’m a pool player so at least I have to own something that is near a holy grail of cues. Regardless of the maker or brand it has to look very nice and play well.

My shooting cue is different. I shoot with a very cheap cue right now. I play well with it and it’s probably the cheapest one in any of our local tournaments. My shooting cues of the past were pricey so now that I’m back to playing I want to go the cheapest route.

I can win one tournament to recoup my price of entry to play with the cue.

A 5k or 2k cue? I don’t think I will see that money back. I may cut the cost of it during the long term but that’s about it. Let’s also factor wear and tear. I would probably need to get a new finish/respray every few years too.

Cues were always viewed as a luxury art piece and there are collectors out there. There is nothing wrong collecting things such as artistic cues. I can wish to be this lucky.

Basically there is nothing wrong owning and playing with an expensive cue. There is also nothing wrong playing with cheap Merry Widow cue.

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Order a Butterfly Effect cue, you’re gonna wait a while to get it, but I hear they play great for $100 shipped. Odd pin but you can upgrade to a Radial for $30 or 3/8x10 for $50. I ordered the Radial. Support Ukraines War to defend itself from Russia. $15 of each $100 cue purchase, which includes shipping, goes to fund supplies for the troops. Thanks for the opportunity Anton and be safe. Ukraine is in my thoughts.

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

Order a Butterfly Effect cue, you’re gonna wait a while to get it, but I hear they play great for $100 shipped. Odd pin but you can upgrade to a Radial for $30 or 3/8x10 for $50. I ordered the Radial. Support Ukraines War to defend itself from Russia. $15 of each $100 cue purchase, which includes shipping, goes to fund supplies for the troops. Thanks for the opportunity Anton and be safe. Ukraine is in my thoughts.
I love $100 cues. Be glad they have them. All you have to do is put a fancy tip on.

When I first started playing it was either a Players cue or a Walmart cue if you wanted a cheap cue.

I went with a Jacoby. 😂 Expensive for its time but the quality was good.

We didn’t have the luxury of buying like the internet of today. I’m in California and all the old timers had or played with Tads and Ginas and Scruggs. Scruggs was the oddball. A great cue builder from back East is how they use to describe them to me.

Last edited:

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I chose my cues based on both aesthetics and hit quality... must look good and hit better :)
Having a higher budget just increases your options, but so long as you get a good cue, you win.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play with what meets your requirements and expectations. Nowadays you can spend more than $300
for just a carbon fiber shaft. Last time I checked, you still need to get a bottom half to make a pool cue.

Price is relative to the quality and features of the product. A new Colt Python costs over $1600 and order
it from the Colt Custom Shop can easily double the final price. But there are a lot of .357 mag revolvers
that cost a whole lot less and functionally still do the job as capably as a custom made Python would do.

If you want something special that is a one of a kind pool cue, go get one. On the other hand, if you just
want a simple cue but made with your preferences exactly as you’d like, go get it. And if you just want a
pool cue that feels good in your hands, then play with as many cues as you can within your budget range
and pick the cue you liked the most. But if you are still searching for a pool cue that doesn’t quite have what
you’d otherwise prefer instead of just settling for what you have, go get a custom cue made with your specs.

The appearance of a cue has nothing to do with how it plays in your hands. A lot of people are playing with
cues that are the weight they want but don’t know it’s because of a heavy weight bolt screwed in the bottom
of their cue’s butt. Not every cue maker does this but unsurprisingly, it expedites a pool cue out the door to the
customer without having to make another heavier cue butt. Weight bolts should help, rather than be depended on,
to build a pool cue. Having a custom cue made does not have to cost thousands of dollars. Just look for a cue maker
that knows his craft, stands behind his workmanship and has earned your confidence after conversing with them.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Which design did you order? I think more of us should order a cue or just send a donation. Instead of a SP cue,
a butterfly design has so much more artistry. Please do post a photo of your cue & remarks under a new thread.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Which design did you order? I think more of us should order a cue or just send a donation. Instead of a SP cue,
a butterfly design has so much more artistry. Please do post a photo of your cue & remarks under a new thread.

Still fighting for freedom, order a cue. $100 shipped for a butterfly cue to requested specs. Add $30 for a radial pin, $50 for 3/8x10. Standard pin installed is non conforming. This information has been provided in posts and emails by Anton, I am not affiliated in any way and gain no benefit from this post other than feeling good about Supporting Ukraine and Anton and those who work with him.

***i ordered w radial pin 29/29.5 split, 12.75mm, 18-19 oz***, Total cost shipped $130, sent a little xtra to cover shipping. No idea about delivery date, but not much different order a cue in the USA, from some builders, lol.

Parameters are the followed:

Length: 60 inches (30\30)
Weight: 19oz
Tip: 12mm
Butt: 30mm
All these parameters are custom.

Below is the cue, additional upgrades are available I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 154

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom,

I’ve read Anton’s threads about the plight of the Ukraine and what his pool cues signify. I’m not much of a ebony
wood design fan, aside from the fact that my cues with points use ebony wood and the butts. I regret not getting
Jerry R. To build me a butterfly cue before he retired. So naturally my curiosity still remains in getting a design like
that. The absurdity is I have cues now I haven’t played with in probably 2 months and getting another cue just
means having to leave a different cue at home since my case only holds six. I’ve started doing it already since I
stopped carrying a break/jump cue case & include that in one of the 6 spaces in my case. Getting another cue just
means some other cue comes out of my case since I don’t want to carry multiple cue cases & a Aramith ball case.
Yup, it is possible to own too many cues and common sense should tell me I passed that point a long time ago.

Matt

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nitty picky on typing and grammar says a lot about someones character.

speech is only as effective as its ability to get your point across understandably all else is wasted.
Well, you are kind of insulting people who spend more than $300 on a cue. People who do may be more likely to be bothered by grammar mistakes.

I spent over 2k on my playing cue and I did so because I want to enjoy my cue if I am going to spend so much time playing with it. I could run racks with a $300 cue but that isn't the point because I love my playing cue.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
300 tops for a strictly top of the line made and hitting playing cue.

ill go to 500 for some that have to add things.

anything over that is fluff, or name brand value that has nothing to do with its playing.

go ahead and blast me or agree
It depends. If it's a low volume custom maker I can see paying a bit more. My cue is relatively simple construction, but the wood is absolutely stunning. Something you wouldn't see on a mass produced cue. If I were going for play-ability alone then I could see it being cheaper, but we usually like things to look nice.

Materials cost more now than they once did. Cost of living is up. It takes skill to build a cue well.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

anything over that is fluff, or name brand value that has nothing to do with its playing.

worrying about what other people do with their money is pretty nitty

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
nitty picky on typing and grammar says a lot about someones character.

speech is only as effective as its ability to get your point across understandably all else is wasted.
trying to knock people on how much they pay for a cue says even more about a persons character

who took your lunch money last night, must have been a nice cue

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tend to agree 'somewhat', some people just like nice shit so they buy hi-end cues. That's cool so why would you or anyone else give a shit how they spend their(not 'there') ;) money?????? I could play just fine with a cheapass Chinese sneaky but i wouldn't get the 'cue chubby' my classic Jensen gives me.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member

Like it want can afford it... buy it. I'm paying too much for LP's (records)

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The two worst cues I ever owned were a basic Tad with a stainless joint and a Heubler with an Implex joint. Neither cue had balance I was comfortable with - the weight was all in my back hand, which did not allow for much finesse - like playing with a hunk of rebar in one hand and a featherweight shaft and tip. In the 80s I bought a D4 McDermott for around $125, a bit less than the pricier cues available at the time, and it has lasted me since then with only tip changes. I took special care to only use gray or tan chalk to avoid that ugly blue-gree chalk stain on the shaft.
Today there are many more first rate cue choices at any price point, but I tend to agree that $100-$500 is a decent budget.