your paying too much for cues

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had around 12 cues or so, up to about $2,000 in value so nothing extreme but not cheap. My Madden and Omen were artwork and played so sweet. Every McDermott plays consistently good. Troy Downey makes a sneaky good cue.

I had long wanted an it’s George cue based off of reputation, and I found one. 4 point, 4 veneer, 2 13 mm original shafts. I excited couldn’t describe how I felt. Then I got it.

9.5/10 condition piece of art that was the worst balanced most dead piece of firewood I’ve ever had the displeasure of using. It was just so bad. I was sick over it and sold it for $200 more than what I paid.

Above all, my favorite cue I’ve ever had is my current and probably forever playing cue. A wallabushka.

From 2007-2009, I went to a room in Bellmore, NY. There was one wall cue there I’d pick up from time to time, that would make me question why I play with my customs. This thing was just that good. Richie sold it to me for $20. Mike Miller put a joint and a Kamui tip on it for $40.

The growth rings at the joint line up perfectly when both ends are snugged up. The butt has several shallow dings. None of the 4 points line up and I think it’s only 56” in total length. But… the balance is stinking perfect, the grain is dark, tight and gorgeous. It rolls dead straight. 11.5 mm tip. It has no markings anywhere. I keep it in a brown suede soft George case. It’s the best playing cue I’ve ever had, and I’m in it for $60. To me, the beauty is in the ugly of this thing. My rat rod cue.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had around 12 cues or so, up to about $2,000 in value so nothing extreme but not cheap. My Madden and Omen were artwork and played so sweet. Every McDermott plays consistently good. Troy Downey makes a sneaky good cue.

I had long wanted an it’s George cue based off of reputation, and I found one. 4 point, 4 veneer, 2 13 mm original shafts. I excited couldn’t describe how I felt. Then I got it.

9.5/10 condition piece of art that was the worst balanced most dead piece of firewood I’ve ever had the displeasure of using. It was just so bad. I was sick over it and sold it for $200 more than what I paid.

Above all, my favorite cue I’ve ever had is my current and probably forever playing cue. A wallabushka.

From 2007-2009, I went to a room in Bellmore, NY. There was one wall cue there I’d pick up from time to time, that would make me question why I play with my customs. This thing was just that good. Richie sold it to me for $20. Mike Miller put a joint and a Kamui tip on it for $40.

The growth rings at the joint line up perfectly when both ends are snugged up. The butt has several shallow dings. None of the 4 points line up and I think it’s only 56” in total length. But… the balance is stinking perfect, the grain is dark, tight and gorgeous. It rolls dead straight. 11.5 mm tip. It has no markings anywhere. I keep it in a brown suede soft George case. It’s the best playing cue I’ve ever had, and I’m in it for $60. To me, the beauty is in the ugly of this thing. My rat rod cue.
There was a guy in my poolroom that had some no-name sneaky pete. Every time he let someone hit some balls with it, they asked how much to buy it...including myself. I have no idea what made it hit so good, but it felt like your game improved 30% with it. Over the years, whenever someone had a big cash game, they always asked to borrow that cue.

In terms of notoriously bad playing expensive cues, I've heard Black Boars fall into that category. I've never owned one myself, and I'm sure they vary, but I've heard many say that.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if the cue is decent 90% of what it does for you is in your mind. and if you need that help then that is the cue for you of course.

as the saying if it works keep doing it.

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“ I have no idea what made it hit so good”

That’s pretty much it. I haven’t changed the taper or had it turned down. I break with it. I’ll even take it in places tied together with a rubber band if I don’t want the case getting smokey.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
There are a few others with higher end cues there too. The only guy I know that had a cue stolen, well it was cues(ouch!) had a few stolen by UPS not at the hall. All $1000+
Wouldn't surprise me to find out that smart thieves monitor sites like this. Guys who work for companies like UPS, USPS, FedX, etc... And grab the long thin boxes upon arrival. Writing them up as lost or stolen. Some of these thefts have that type earmark. Just saying. Does insuring a cue even help if someone steals it during transit?? Could you get your money back, or would it be an impossible fight w the insurance co?? I wonder if any of our members has experienced this first hand?? Sure would like to her from them.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the same reason I do not bring my cues on any flight since they cannot be carried on the plane and must be checked as baggage. TSA hired a bunch of head count without any background checks, and those guys have been repeatedly busted over the years stealing goods with police installed trackers during investigations.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say I stick to $300 or less cues. What can I get out of them if I want to sell?

As we all know certain cues maintain or increase in value. So in the long run are we paying too much for cues?

Last edited:

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say I stick to $300 or less cues. What can I get out of them if I want to sell?

As well all know certain cues maintain or increase in value. So in the long run are we paying too much for cues?
$300 or less, get a McDermott. You’ll get a cue that is well made and plays well. It won’t go up in value, but neither will anything else at that price point…. Unless you find a Gus at an estate sale or something.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$300 or less, get a McDermott. You’ll get a cue that is well made and plays well. It won’t go up in value, but neither will anything else at that price point…. Unless you find a Gus at an estate sale or something.
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a McDermott. Even the very cheapest models play well.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a McDermott. Even the very cheapest models play well.
You can't go wrong with a $100 Butterfly Effect Challenge, other than the wait. Everyone should buy one, it will be like a present out of the blue and yellow when you least expect it. Shooter08

Attachments

• bfe.jpg
    bfe.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the great maker cues do go up in value over decades not months or years. other wise then you are selling a used cue. and about half price is what you can get unless you find a sucker.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
300 tops for a strictly top of the line made and hitting playing cue.

ill go to 500 for some that have to add things.

anything over that is fluff, or name brand value that has nothing to do with its playing.

go ahead and blast me or agree

You paid too much for your car
You paid too much for your watch
You paid too much for your clothes

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
id, you missed the whole point of the thread.

but dont worry you are not alone

shooter_Hans

There was a guy in my poolroom that had some no-name sneaky pete. Every time he let someone hit some balls with it, they asked how much to buy it...including myself. I have no idea what made it hit so good, but it felt like your game improved 30% with it. Over the years, whenever someone had a big cash game, they always asked to borrow that cue.

In terms of notoriously bad playing expensive cues, I've heard Black Boars fall into that category. I've never owned one myself, and I'm sure they vary, but I've heard many say that.
I believe this.

The phrase “How does it hit?” is reserved for super fancy cues. The phrase accompanies fancy pool cues for this reason. Some very elaborate and many inlaid cues I’ve shot with don’t feel lively enough for me.

Now if a cue is dependent on the shaft then I have seen some Tascarella’s, Manzinos and Scruggs where people have swapped the shaft with a LD or carbon shaft. Which I think is blasphemy but to each it’s own.

A good friend of mine has a predator shaft on his custom and swaps back and forth with it and the original. I find the original shaft shoots better.

You can probably fix the BB with a carbon shaft but it would be blasphemy. It’s like admitting the cue builder can’t make a good shaft.

With that said I think more likely than not a custom cue will shoot great. There are a few times when someone may not like it. You’re not going to gel well with someone’s cue built for them.

I’m trying to see both sides of this.

tabi1

Registered
Well, you are kind of insulting people who spend more than $300 on a cue. People who do may be more likely to be bothered by grammar mistakes.

I spent over 2k on my playing cue and I did so because I want to enjoy my cue if I am going to spend so much time playing with it. I could run racks with a $300 cue but that isn't the point because I love my playing cue.
Well said, plus the bottom line is it's my fkn money and i will spend it how i see fit is what i tell people who are worried about the price of something i buy. As we used to say in the military, if they don't rate me, pay me, or fk me their vote don't count. Almost every man i know has some kind of a vice, whether it be cars, motorcycles, clothing or what, that's their weak spot and they spend more in these areas. So what, we make money, we spend it, it's life. Just don't spend it all and you are fine.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frankly I like good looking cues that also hit well. Sure, a good house cue will still get the job done, but when a cue is both a looker and a performer, you get the best of both worlds, so why settle when you don't have to?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yep a few more that miss the point of the thread.

either they didnt read all the posts
or have a thick head or
no reading comprehension.

snookered_again

Play with what meets your requirements and expectations. Nowadays you can spend more than $300
for just a carbon fiber shaft. Last time I checked, you still need to get a bottom half to make a pool cue.
I wasn't aware the bottom is the butt end, my god you mean all this time Ive had it bass ackwards ? this might help me ! ;-)