Smorgass Bored

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
I requested a while back for Smorg to be a friend here on AZ. It remains unchecked and I pray it remains that way. I will get that personally when the Biggest Fish Of All (God almighty) comes to collect this little pollywog (me)!

I have some pictures taken about six or seven years ago at Planet 9 Ball in Tampa..the one and only time I had the opportunity to meet the man. I will scan them and then convert them so I can post them here.

I suspect that Smorg had not only kissed the Blarney Stone, no.. he had made out with it! He was a character! You really couldn't help liking him. He had a sharp wit, a true sense for humor, and he was who he was.. without guile or pretensions.

I remember all his posts on RSB and ASP specially his exchanges with characters such as "Mountain Mike", "Sincerely Sam", and the Jimbo / Smorg War (which I believe ended like the Korean War IIRC;)). For the record, I had no dog in that one.

Fats

OK, here are the scanned pics. All were taken at Planet 9 Ball one is of Smorg with the houseman, and the other three are of Smorg and I.

Fats

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 638
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 640
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 629
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 632

1lostplayer

Son of Smorg
Thx

OK, here are the scanned pics. All were taken at Planet 9 Ball one is of Smorg with the houseman, and the other three are of Smorg and I.

Fats

Thanks putting up those pictures. That was a while ago , planet 9ball has not looked like that in a long time. It is also no more its now called strokers.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Fats

What great pictures!
Thanks for sharing them.

What is the little round bracelet type item that Doug is handing you?

JoeyA

What great pictures!
Thanks for sharing them.

What is the little round bracelet type item that Doug is handing you?

JoeyA

You're welcome Joey.

It's a rubber band. He was fooling around and suggested the picture, it was supposed to show that I had beat him out of his whole bankroll including the rubber band. Truth is he beat me like a red headed stepchild. :smile:

Fats

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbara has been reviewing the guestbook at Doug's American Heart Association website and she is awed by your compassion and generosity. Please sign the guestbook.

JoeyA

Thanks to Barbara and you for providing us a way to pay our respect to our esteemed forum colleague. His mastery of the typed word was always a source of laughter and confused amazement all at once. A rep helmet ?!! That to me was his trademark signature.

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
a little story...

on about Feb. 22 i sent Smorgie an on line note....

"don't don't don't give up Marine!"

on Mar. 5th; i don't know how he did it he replied in a PM::

"""SORRY"""

i can only say this:

"see ya"

no goodbye's...

just "see ya later"
smokey

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
on about Feb. 22 i sent Smorgie an on line note....

"don't don't don't give up Marine!"

on Mar. 5th; i don't know how he did it he replied in a PM::

"""SORRY"""

i can only say this:

"see ya"

no goodbye's...

just "see ya later"
smokey

Smokey,
At the time of his reply, Doug could barely answer the telephone and his effort to interact with the forum was herculean. I received some rep from Smorgass Bored at the end and all he said in the comment section was: "Thanks".

Joey

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Fats

Not what I envisioned at all.

He looked like he was a REALLY good guy. Funny how the internet and anonymity can force you to envision someone.

RIP

JoeyA

Silver Member
Sorry JoeyA -- the link you provided came up with this: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I just clicked on Smorgass Bored's name and selected All Posts by Smorgass Bored and went to LAST . I guess it only works for the individual doing the search. My bad.

JoeyA

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Later Loup

When OHB passed away Smorgie made a comment, it was meant in a different way then I took it and I called Smorgie on it. LOL, he banned himself and apologized too everyone in the free world for making it.

After that, he told me that when he died I could make a funny comment about him lol.

Everyday since he passed away I have thought of something funny and then I changed my mind,maybe it wasn't that funny, and now I have ran out of time and I have no zippy one liners for my poker buddy.

So I just will say how it's funny that we ended up being friends and poker buddies.

He has such a flair for the game, it wasn't about the money it was winning,,,,lol.

I told Smorgie that I would make him laugh everyday when he first told me how bad it was getting, sometimes I would just ramble on about the goofy things that were happening at my house about the flipping furnace that will break on the coldest day "ever' on record books, the flipping squirrel's that moved into the attic, the raccoons that would knock at the door for food and start howling if you never showed, lol.

Smorgie would make some comment, and we would laugh. I think he made me laugh more, but who's to say.

Also he had the best one liners for the bullies and the bluffers at the table

Near the end it was too hard for him to sit at the desk and use the computer, so his lovely and brilliant wife Barbara set him up in a lazy boy so he could recline and still play poker and read the forums, he would lay there and play without typing much, sometimes, we would just play and not even talk, lol.

I never saw him at the poker table the last week, I got a pm from him on the saturday it just said hugs nothing else, I just knew somewhere in my heart that it was time for him to go.

Now when people ask where he is I say he passed away and I think he's playing pool, eating chicken wings, and trading one liners with some of the best.

hugs my friend, I'm sorry I couldn't think of a funny one liner I should have got you to write one for me,,,,LOL