Educate me in Joints and Pins

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been browsing a lot and sort of confused about the nomenclature for joints and pins..

I gather that there are many different screw sizes for the pin and that the joint can be several different types.

can anyone illustrate with some pictures what a wood to wood, flat faced, sleeved, and piloted joints are? I gather that regular joints can be sleeved in ivory?

My playing cue is a Radial pin Jim Buss. The shaft is wood only (no metal threaded part) and the butt has a radial pin. Is this still considered wood to wood ? When the shaft screws in, the bottom of the shaft touches the wood on the butt.

Thanks in advance.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are 2 basic types of surface contact.: flat faced and piloted. When you say wood to wood, it is flat faced. Stainless steel joints with a 5/16x14 pin such as a Schon features an insert leaving a pilot sticking out of the shaft that mates into the adjoining pin and collar. Most steel joints are done this way, but even within that there are many different ways to do it.

joint collars are normally stainless steel or ivory, and there are lots of ways to do it.

Pins are 5/16 with a 14 and 18 thread and 3/8 with 8, 10, and 11 threads per inch. Other pins such as Uni-Loc are used as well.

You can go to prathercue.com and check out the pin types this page

There is so much to discuss on this subject, please forgive me if I don't explain as thoroughly as you would've wished. I will tell you that it depends on the type of player you are as to how sensitive you are, and 9 x's out of 10, you won't be able to distinguish the difference in pins from one cue to the next. experience will be one of the only things that will enable you to determine what you like in your cue over another type.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. I ask because I just put myself on Tascarella's wait list and he needs all specs up front. I asked for an Ivory Sleeved joint. I think Pete said it was piloted. Anyone have opinions on the ivory tascarella joints? I want to go with what they normally do and not change a whole lot about the 'hit'.