Cue Ball Differences

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a seatch for this but found no other post on the comprehensive differences. I'm looking for the skinny on the different cue balls.

Like these:

Aramith "measles" cue ball ivory color (off white)

Aramith "measles" cue ball white (both of these measles cue balls were in a sealed Aramith packages bought from the same vendor ant the same time)

red circle cue ball

red dot cue ball

Aramith red logo cue ball

Aramith red triangle cue ball

blue circle cue ball

blue dot cue ball

Aramith green logo cue ball

Aramith plain white cue ball

yellow cue ball

I'm sure there are others. I just interested in modern cue balls.
What are the differences in size, weight, roundness, finish, balance, density or any other differences. Or is this just one of the mysteries of the cosmos?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Andy

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
I understand heres how I break them up.

Bar box cue ball--Heavy and slow
Standard----quick
True measeals----Fast
Red circle---Fast as Hell

Most of the Q balls you mentioned are what I would consider a standard cue ball and in my opinion roll fairly close to each other. The only Q balls I ever notice are the ones that I know I need to adjust for.

Hope this helps.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a thread in the last week or two about cue balls. I did a search for ball weight but did not find anything. It must be titled different. Here is a bump someone will know.

Rod

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand heres how I break them up.

Bar box cue ball--Heavy and slow
Standard----quick
True measeals----Fast
Red circle---Fast as Hell

Most of the Q balls you mentioned are what I would consider a standard cue ball and in my opinion roll fairly close to each other. The only Q balls I ever notice are the ones that I know I need to adjust for.

Hope this helps.

What cue ball is used most in Pro Tournaments? I think I know what fast means but what is your definition? And is a fast cue ball useless on a mediocre set of balls?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a seatch for this but found no other post on the comprehensive differences. I'm looking for the skinny on the different cue balls.

Like these:

Aramith "measles" cue ball ivory color (off white)

Aramith "measles" cue ball white (both of these measles cue balls were in a sealed Aramith packages bought from the same vendor ant the same time)

red circle cue ball

red dot cue ball

Aramith red logo cue ball

Aramith red triangle cue ball

blue circle cue ball

blue dot cue ball

Aramith green logo cue ball

Aramith plain white cue ball

yellow cue ball

I'm sure there are others. I just interested in modern cue balls.
What are the differences in size, weight, roundness, finish, balance, density or any other differences. Or is this just one of the mysteries of the cosmos?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Andy
You can do a forum topic search in the archives for past threads for characteristics of virtually all of these cue balls, which will keep you busy for a few days!

To narrow it down and keep it simple, Aramith red circles are still considered the gold standard of cue balls among very good players, and are the easiest cue ball to keep clean which is another bonus. The Aramith Pro Cup measle cue ball is very popular in pro tournaments and in many pool rooms these days. The interesting thing about both these balls is you can order brand new ones from a reputable supplier and you'll often find they are not necessarily the same color - some way more yellowish than others. I'm told by my Seyberts account rep that this is just the way it is and it is nothing to worry about or nothing you can do about it. The Brunswick Centennial blue circle is a very good playing ball as well, but extremely hard to keep clean of chalk marks. All these cue balls generally fall in the weight range of 165-168 grams, but will gradually lose some weight with usage.

I would not consider playing with any other cue ball on your list other than these 3 I've mentioned - just my opinion / preference.

Last edited: