stupid qestion

ILgrizz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is it possible to straiten a warped butt or shaft ???????or will the warp return quickly??

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard claims that a shaft can be straightened, Haven't seen it proven yet. The butt has options, Would depend on what part of the butt is off, Is it a short spliced cue or a full splice. 90 percent of what I've seen is from movement of some sought from the handle or -A- joint. I have seen some where the forearm had warped but not many.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had any luck straightening shafts over any length of time. They have all re warped after about 18 months to 2 years.
As for a handle, I have not tried to straighten them at all.My view is if it is warped then if it is not warped back to staright, something will have to give. Anything loose in the handle is just detrimental to the playablitity of the assembly.
Neil

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had any luck straightening shafts over any length of time. They have all re warped after about 18 months to 2 years.
As for a handle, I have not tried to straighten them at all.My view is if it is warped then if it is not warped back to staright, something will have to give. Anything loose in the handle is just detrimental to the playablitity of the assembly.
Neil

Easier to replace the handle then try to straighten it.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have straightened shafts at times. But rarely do they hold straight. About the only ones I saw stay straight were newer cues that someone bought and then noticed a wobble in it within a few weeks. For some reason if you catch it early in the cues life like that and you straighten it on a table by bending it then, immediately sand it on a lathe and reseal it, they might hold. I learned that trick from my days as a pool room owner selling other brands of cues. If the shaft has too much time to develop that bent memory you will almost never get it to hold straight again. It is kind of like us humans; If we stay in a bad habit for too long it almost takes a miracle for us to get straightened out again and stay straight.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
I have straightened shafts at times. But rarely do they hold straight. About the only ones I saw stay straight were newer cues that someone bought and then noticed a wobble in it within a few weeks. For some reason if you catch it early in the cues life like that and you straighten it on a table by bending it then, immediately sand it on a lathe and reseal it, they might hold. I learned that trick from my days as a pool room owner selling other brands of cues. If the shaft has too much time to develop that bent memory you will almost never get it to hold straight again. It is kind of like us humans; If we stay in a bad habit for too long it almost takes a miracle for us to get straightened out again and stay straight.

could it be caused by the amount of time spent trying to keep it straight? if u catch it early on, u will have an easier time straightening it out using the method u described than if it has been warped for a while. have u tried straightening it then using something to keep it in that straight shape for a while? if it has been warped for a while it will warp back once u straighten it, but that could due to the fact that it has not been held in its new straight shape for long enough for the wood to hold. because like u said, if u catch the warp early (before the wood has had much time to assume this new warped condition) it is still possible to get it straight again. so thats what has me thinking that maybe the ones that have been warped for a while are not holding their new straight shapes because they are not being held in that shape for long enough. once it has been in that straight shape for long enough, it might have a higher chance of staying straight, just like if it has been warped long enough it will stay warped (unless u straighten it of course).

i dont know how u can bend it back straight and keep it in that position for a long enough period of time to allow the wood to assume this new position. this might not work at all but i'd imagine u can lie it flat and put something on top of it to keep it in that position.