Why CTE is silly

Status
Not open for further replies.

champ2107

Banned
Can CTE make this combo?
If it can, how does one determine how to aim.

Or is this just completely beyond CTE capabilities, so that we can dismiss it as an aiming system and replace that with a ball pocketing system that only works with shots where it's only the cueball, the object ball, and the hole.

CueTable Help

No you can not make this shot using cte,

GetMeThere

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which direct evidence do you have that CTE does not work?

Virtually all CTE users have described CTE aiming alignments as involving ONLY the OB and CB. Spidey (who most would admit seems to be at the core of current CTE knowledge) has made repeated arguments that he can make balls WITHOUT KNOWING where the pocket is. He has made a video "demonstrating" that.

But the TRUE FACT which is directly evident is that any equidistant OB-CB setup can be arranged in an INFINITE number of angles in relation to the pocket--proving that an aiming system that ignores relative pocket position CANNOT provide the necessary information to pocket balls.

GetMeThere

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point is that players don't need to be millimeter precise on the hit to make balls as GMT is claiming.

This shows you have ignored the RIGIDLY OBJECTIVE information I supplied in my first post--in which I included the FORMULAS USED so that anyone could easily verify the correctness of that information.

Probably you should return to that first post and study it. You might discover that you would prefer to back down from your argument.

Shots aren't made by wishes or systems. They are made by the CB hitting the OB in the correct place, within small (but variable) ranges. That is a COMPLETELY objective fact.

...but you appear to be the sort of person who won't allows facts to come between himself and something he wants to believe is true. Good luck with that approach.

champ2107

Banned
Virtually all CTE users have described CTE aiming alignments as involving ONLY the OB and CB. Spidey (who most would admit seems to be at the core of current CTE knowledge) has made repeated arguments that he can make balls WITHOUT KNOWING where the pocket is. He has made a video "demonstrating" that.

The above bold is 100% true!

But the TRUE FACT which is directly evident is that any equidistant OB-CB setup can be arranged in an INFINITE number of angles in relation to the pocket--proving that an aiming system that ignores relative pocket position CANNOT provide the necessary information to pocket balls.

I have no clue what you are trying to say here?

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Should I be using my time to discredit things that have SOME, rather than zero, merit, then?

What is your motive?
To become a CTE student to better your game?
Your game is so good that you are making everything with ease
And so we are doing it wrong. If so tell us.
I stand behind MY claims , You are on your own with other sources

Last edited:

GetMeThere

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your motive?
To become a CTE student to better your game?
Your game is so good that you are making everything with ease
And so we are doing it wrong. If so tell us

My original motive was to investigate the state of the art in pool "aiming."

Along the way I discovered this CTE nonsense, and felt compelled to at least TRY to help people see that it IS nonsense. In doing that I was surprised to see that it's devotees seemed to base their "faith" in CTE in nearly a religious manner: Mark Twain said that faith is believing in "what you know ain't true."

I've always found the phenomenon of "belief without evidence" (and especially belief with copious contrary evidence) interesting. It would be interesting to discover why people believe that CTE helps them--since I know it in fact doesn't "directly" help them with accurate aiming information.

champ2107

Banned

Along the way I discovered this CTE nonsense, and felt compelled to at least TRY to help people see that it IS nonsense. In doing that I was surprised to see that it's devotees seemed to base their "faith" in CTE in nearly a religious manner: Mark Twain said that faith is believing in "what you know ain't true."

I've always found the phenomenon of "belief without evidence" (and especially belief with copious contrary evidence) interesting. It would be interesting to discover why people believe that CTE helps them--since I know it in fact doesn't "directly" help them with accurate aiming information.

lol is this guy for real?? This guy clearly is a waste of time lol

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

Might be your first time doing so , But you are wrong.
No need for upset, You just don't know your wrong.
What you say believe it or not does not make it true.
I have played both ways and YOU don't have the experience

GetMeThere

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be your first time doing so , But you are wrong.
No need for upset, You just don't know your wrong.
What you say believe it or not does not make it true.
I have played both ways and YOU don't have the experience

It's meaningless for one side to announce to the other "you're wrong."

Instead it's better to discuss facts and realities.

CTE claims to be an aiming system that provides the player with EXACT information (or physical line-ups) to make balls in pockets. But CTE does not take the relative positions of pocket and OB EXACTLY into account; and CB-OB-pocket layouts can be in any of an INFINITE variety of configurations. Therefore, CTE cannot meet the requirements of an "aiming system," which would be to tell you where (or how) to aim (or point the cue).

....no experience necessary.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
And why is this?
Please dont hit me with a math lessons and big words . This is
Petey talking to Patrick . No we. Please dont group me.
Thanks
Petey, if you don't know that it's nonsensical to say your rifle can only hit one kind of target or your car can only drive to one destination, then you can't understand anything I could say to you.

pj
chgo

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the diagrams (and not making me search for them!). After viewing, I think we're on the same plane, so to speak.

I was surprised at the constant pivot distance you obtained, though I believe I've seen them in previous diagrams. My results (should I obtain some) won't be as tidy since there's a continuous reduction in apparent (focal plane) OB diameter with distance from the center of the eye lens. Cue elevation and the relative orientation of the optic axis to the cue's long axis are also factors in the lateral quasi-parallel shift. But maybe the differences won't be all that drastic?

Jim

LAMas' diagrams are the the first real attempts to accurately explore the Cte "phenomena" visually. He has it "bass ackwards", but his CTCP methodology is sage with possibilities. Yes Jim, the visual alignment changing is a keystone of Cte and is seen unknowingly by all, dismissed by most and exploited by few. :wink:

Best,
Mike

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Petey, if you don't know that it's nonsensical to say your rifle can only hit one kind of target or your car can only drive to one destination, then you can't understand anything I could say to you.

pj
chgo

Your the 1 talking about rifles on a POOL forum,
What are you talking about. Your post made no sense NONSENSICAL LOL

Last edited:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you doubt CTE then do not use it. I do not think it is a good technique for you. CTE is good for people who have worked with it and believe in the improvements in there game. As for me I am a CTE user, I am not a CTE advocate. What little I know about CTE seems to help my game whether it is a sicentific or engineered system or not. i like it.

Why do you have to hate on something such as a technique. If you can play some other way better then good for you get on with it. I do not think there is a technique for aiming that will fit for all people I do not care what you comeup with because we are people all sizes and shapes with all kinds of differences. I know whatever you do nothing will work if you do not hit the CB consistently. We are not made of linear slides with laser beams. If you want it to be that delineated then I guess you will hate on just about any technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.