Fast Larry

T

Toddbow

Larry,
One thing caught my attention in one of your posts. You said you grew up in KC Mo at Troost and 31St. in the 60's. What kind of stories can you tell about Ice's Pool Hall and their players: One armed John, Stinson, Chet and Joe,Bennie Conway,King, Don MCcoy,Larry Mayo, Jack Norris, Bogus, George Welch, Hallmark Red, Sheilds, Bill Lawson, Rags, and the Wonder Boy.
Ice's was run by a guy named Reno Forrest in that time by the stories I've been told. Tell me what you remember, because I love to hear of old pool stories.
Toddbow

Last edited:
Toddbow said:
Larry,
One thing caught my attention in one of your posts. You said you grew up in KC Mo at Troost and 31St. in the 60's. What kind of stories can you tell about Ice's Pool Hall and their players: One armed John, Stinson, Chet and Joe,Bennie Conway,King, Don MCcoy,Larry Mayo, Jack Norris, Bogus, George Welch, Hallmark Red, Sheilds, Bill Lawson, Rags, and the Wonder Boy.
Ice's was run by a guy named Reno Forrest in that time by the stories I've been told. Tell me what you remember, because I love to hear of old pool stories.
Toddbow

ooohhh, that was a rough ass joint, if I remember it was right on Troost, 2nd floor. The windows would always be open in the summer time, the street cars would go by with a clang. You could ride a street car then any where in town and back for a dime. You could buy 3 tokens for a quarter. The joint had No AC, just fans running. You had to have real balls to go into that joint. That area around 31st and troost used to be called the snake pit and for good reason. I saw 3 people killed with pool cues and my brother in law was shot in the head and killed in that area in a bar. If you stiffed somebody in a game, they did not call a lawyer, they called the meat wagon to pick up what was left of the body. I was stabbed once and shot at twice, they missed both times, I am called Fast. Twice I was beat up really bad in those pool halls. They did not even call the cops, you just dragged your self out the door. Ah yes, the snake pit, I knew it well my boy, it is a wonder I survived it. That hood was a lot like the hood you saw in the first Rocky movie. A lot of German Imigrants, your life centered around the Catholic Church, the corner bar and pool hall. You were very hard drinking hard pool playing people. You were tough as nails and you took no she yet off nobody.

I have a video tape of Erwin Rudolph and his girlfriend doing a trick shot exhibition in there in the late 30's. That joint was around for a long time.

There were real hustlers working that joint. You had to be really good to make any dough in there. I remember rags and Bennie. I played in KCMO during the 40's up to 1973 when I moved to Florida. From 65 to 73 I was traveling all over the region and was not in town much. From 73 on I was traveling the entire country which later expanded to North and South America. I could walk down to that place, or to the St Vincents Catholic church I went to school at which was 3 blocks west of Troost on 3lst and Flora. My Mom and Dad and later I was married there. I lived on 30th street, one block west from Troost. I would walk up to the ISIS theatre for movies. I was always a down town player so I did not spend much time in that place, too many hustlers for my taste. I liked weaker prey. I mostly hustled drunks then, I would not play any well know players, I wanted to stay totally unkown which was what Martin taught me to do. Poor Martin could not hide, how do you hide 350 lbs of fat. I'd walk up one block and we would take the street car down town, it was only 20 blocks away.

I came up in Kling and Allens and when it closed moved over to Millers, the basement joint at l0th and Grand. When it closed I moved out to Pauls at 46th and troost, I hung there and the joint one block up in the basement, they had a one pocket table with only two pockets, very cool idea. I worked the bar across the street from it and the bar box, lots of action there. Lots of drunks. I was in Raytown Rec room when it first opened and would go in there to play on the 5x10 big bertha. In 51 we moved out of there and I lived a mile from Swope Park, then I bought a house close to state line on a golf course.

That 3l st and troost was a tough ass area and had some tough ass people living there. Over time I went in that area less and less. By the early to mid 60's I never went in to 3lst any more I viewed it as un safe territory. I spent most of my time then at 46th and troost, you could play there and not get killed.

Sorry, I have nothing on Wonder boy, but come back and tell me what you know, that would be nice.

Last edited:
T

Toddbow

Larry,
I originally posted my question to you about Isis (sorry for the previous mispelling) Pool Hall because I've heard stories of this place my entire life. I told my Dad I wouldn't post anymore, but I couldn't resist. The picture you painted of this place is not what has been told to me.
Reno Forrest ran Isis and I am told was one of the best guys around. Hustlers hung out there I can agree with you on that. But, I don't remember being told any meatwagon stories. I remember of match-ups, mediocre players playing better players with a good spot. I've heard stories of a pool game being played in the middle of August when it was 100 degrees and the better player had to play with a coat on (one that had been left from winter). I've heard so many one-handed and jacked up pool stories I can't remember them all. I heard of a guy losing thousands of dollars, kept going busted. He would walk out and come back in with more money. Someone asked him where he kept getting the money and he replied "I robbed a bank" and no one believed him till the cops showed up a couple of hours later and hauled him off.......for robbing a bank. I've heard of a match-up on 8 ball on a race to seven when one guy breaks and runs 7 racks. The other guy asks for a spot and is refused. The winner says "I can't give you a spot because I don't know how you play".
Most of the players I listed in my first post were average players and if I can remember correctly I think Bill Lawson and Rags were about the best players around at that time, with several others right there close. Mosconi and Fats weren't afraid to go there, nor Fast Eddie Felson when they were in town. I am told Isis was THE PLACE for pool players in the 60's when going through KCMO, 2 blocks from your home on 31st and Troost. Wonderboy got his nickname because he worked at Wonderbread.
One thing I think is for sure, if you lived in KC in the 60's, and were a pool player.......Isis is where you would want to be.
Tell me some stories on Fast Eddie Felson. I am interested in those,as well.
Was he from southern Missouri?

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Fast Eddie felson was just a character in a movie?!?!

Toddbow said:
Larry,

I originally posted my question to you about Isis (sorry for the previous

mispelling) Pool Hall because I've heard stories of this place my entire life. I t

old my Dad I wouldn't post anymore, but I couldn't resist. The picture you painted of this place is not what has been told to me.

Reno Forrest ran Isis and I am told was one of the best guys around. Hustlers hung out there I can agree with you on that. But, I don't remember

being told any meatwagon stories. I remember of match-ups, mediocre players playing better players with a good spot. I've heard stories of a pool game being played in the middle of August when it was 100 degrees and the better player had to play with a coat on (one that had been left from winter). I've heard so many one-handed and jacked up pool stories I cank" and no one believed him till the cops showed up a couple of hours later and hauled him off.......for robbing a bank. I've heard of a match-up on 8 ball on a race to seven when one guy breaks and runs 7 racks. The other guy asks for a spot and is refused. The winner says "I can't give you a spot because I don't know how you play".
Most of the players I listed in my first post were average players and if I can remember correctly I think Bill Lawson and Rags were about the best players around at that time, with several others right there close. Mosconi and Fats weren't afraid to go there, nor Fast Eddie Felson when they were in town. I am told Isis was THE PLACE for pool players in the 60's when going through KCMO, 2 blocks from your home on 31st and Troost. Wonderboy got his nickname because he worked at Wonderbread.
One thing I think is for sure, if you lived in KC in the 60's, and were a pool player.......Isis is where you would want to be.

T

Toddbow

Yep, just a character in a movie. His sister's name is Lois. But, that wasn't in the movie.

Toddbow said:
Yep, just a character in a movie. His sister's name is Lois. But, that wasn't in the movie.

I think if you know that he was born in Missouri, you also know the full story of Fast Eddie Felsen, Eddie Ezzell, Eddie Santee, Terry McKee, and of course Fast Eddie Parker, all of which were "Hustlers". Hell, maybe he wasn't just a character in a movie, maybe the movie and character was really based on him. He also knew and played a guy by the name of New York Fats before the movie came out. How am I doing so far...am I correct?

APA7

STRAIGHT POOL SUPERMAN
Silver Member
Larry the Liar

Toddbow said:
Larry,
I originally posted my question to you about Isis (sorry for the previous mispelling) Pool Hall because I've heard stories of this place my entire life. I told my Dad I wouldn't post anymore, but I couldn't resist. The picture you painted of this place is not what has been told to me.
Reno Forrest ran Isis and I am told was one of the best guys around. Hustlers hung out there I can agree with you on that. But, I don't remember being told any meatwagon stories. I remember of match-ups, mediocre players playing better players with a good spot. I've heard stories of a pool game being played in the middle of August when it was 100 degrees and the better player had to play with a coat on (one that had been left from winter). I've heard so many one-handed and jacked up pool stories I can't remember them all. I heard of a guy losing thousands of dollars, kept going busted. He would walk out and come back in with more money. Someone asked him where he kept getting the money and he replied "I robbed a bank" and no one believed him till the cops showed up a couple of hours later and hauled him off.......for robbing a bank. I've heard of a match-up on 8 ball on a race to seven when one guy breaks and runs 7 racks. The other guy asks for a spot and is refused. The winner says "I can't give you a spot because I don't know how you play".

Give Larry enough rope, he'll hang himself in his lies. The more he says, the more he gets exposed for the fraud that he is. Shame on you, Larry!!

Brian

Toddbow said:
Larry,

The area around it was called the snake pit. It was called the snake pit for that is what it was. My stories were from the area, not from that specific pool hall. There were other places to play pool. Many bars you could play in. I went in there, I was not afraid to go in any place. This place was just not my cup of tea. Look at what you posted, the guy is going out, robbing a bank with a gun, coming back in the room to play with the money he just robbed. Those are not the kind of people I want to gamble with. I told you I was a down town player. I told you I had no interest in playing any top sticks and I only hustled drunks and weak prey. I did not want any glory, just the money. Staying unkown was the key to that. I would never play any top stick, beat that guy and your action is killed in that town immediately. Then you are giving every punk in town the 7 and the snap. My game was getting the 7 and the snap when I should be giving the 7 and the snap.

I answered you honestly as best I could sir and this thread moves off the main page. You bring it back to the main page to now post what? It reads like to me you are saying I am a fraud, I was never there or if so I would have hung out in this place and been well known. That is why you brought this back up to expose me as a liar? Do I give you a fair read out on this or what here? Gee's, I did not need that sir, nor did I deserve that.

You did not want my stories of that place or era, it sounds like me you just wanted to expose me as a fraud who was making it all up. There fore I will waste no more time telling you anything else. It sounds like to me, you know much more than me any way. You are a good story teller, I enjoyed what you wrote. The greatest one handed player of all time was playing at 46th and troost every day during lunch at Pauls, his name was Omaha Fat. I was there watching every move the guy made, I was fascinated by this hustler. I did not give a she yet what was going on at the ice, to be perfectly frank with you. If I wanted to see real action, I went and hung out for a week at Johnston city, then I got to see the top 100 hustlers on earth match up and get down.
The Ice,That was not my home room or my hang out. I tried to tell you I did not know most of those people. I also told you I moved out of that area well before the 60's. I can count the times on both hands I had ever been in that room.

You wrote: .. I've heard of a match-up on 8 ball on a race to seven when one guy breaks and runs 7 racks. The other guy asks for a spot and is refused. The winner says "I can't give you a spot because I don't know how you play".
FL RESPONDS: That was the main reason I tried to tell you why I did not play there, it was full of run out hustlers. Too many hustlers, too few marks and sausages. I played that guy twice. Both times the guy wins the lag and runs 5 racks on me in a row. Both times I pulled up, paid the guy and walked out. Why keep paying him to watch the guy run 7 or 10 racks, I knew I could not fade that so why throw my money at him. During that early 60's era I was just a teenager and my game had not achieved it's full level of where it would go. If you rounded up all the usualy suspects, about the best I was might have been 11th out of that group. Hell the top 10 if they were around today and in their prime could all go on the current tour and tear a new one. The top 10 in that city during the early 60's were some of the finest sticks I ever saw play pool. The best I ever got might have been 50th in the country and that was a decade later. I was never the top stick, never said I was, never tried to be. If that was what you wanted me to pretend to be, sorry sir I disappointed you with the truth here.

What am I today, I don't play any one for money. I don't do 9 ball competitions. I do two things.
(1) I teach pool and am very good at that
(2) I do trick shot shows and I am also very good at that.
(3) Soon I will begin playing on the world IAPA Arstistic tour

That is who I am sir, it does not go any deeper than that.

Yes I know about Wonder Bread, is was on 30th and Troost, on the corner a 3 story factory, wholesale, you could not walk in and buy the bread. I lived one block from it. During the summers we had no AC and our windows would be open and the smell would come in, it was a wonderful smell and it would make you hungry. They would be baking bread all night long, you relived that memory and that smell from a half centry ago is coming back to me now, I thank you for that.
During the 60's I was playing on troost but not on 31st but on 46th. Most of my time was hanging around Omaha Fat, Martin Kiaman, who could give
fatty the 7. The reason the Ice caught a lot of top action during the early 60's was the downtown rooms which ranked in the top 5 of all time I was playing in all closed. Pool basically collapsed in the late 50's and did not do a revival until the Hustler movie came out in 1961. Pool did not get back on a roll until 63. Every room has it's prime, its time, and the Ice had its, I just choose not to be a part of it. I do have freedom of choice where to play and hang out do I not?

Even in Atlanta today I am comped to play in the main action room and you rarely see me in there. I prefer places the gamblers do not hang out in. I like quiet places, quiet, like a church. No pin ball, no bowling alley, no bar, just pool mister. Rack em Sausage.

The hustler from south Missouri was from Joplin. He was working NYC during this time. In the movie, Guys and dolls he was portrayed by Marlon Brando. He was the greatest golf and pool hustler and con I ever saw work. I have all of his stories, but you now get none of them. His name was Titanic Thompson, he was called Ti. Martin Kiaman lived in Des Moines, Fatty lived in southern Illinois, around the Johnston city area. That area was called little Egypt.

Fast Eddy Felson was never in the ice because he was a fictional character invented by Tevis, he never existed. Fast Eddy Parker came up in my home room down town in KCMO in Kling and Allens. He said he was the one and he gave the hustler story to Tevis. He passed a lie dectector test on this. In recent years he was living in Universal City,Texas and he recently passed away doing a show in South Padre Island, Tx. There really was a Fast Eddy, he was my friend. His name was Fast Eddy Parker, not Felson. There really was a Minnesota Fats, his name was Rudolph Walderone. :D

Last edited:

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did not want my stories of that place or era, it sounds like me you just wanted to expose me as a fraud who was making it all up. There fore I will waste no more time telling you anything else. It sound like to me, you know much more than me any way. friend. :D[/QUOTE]

I agree, Larry. This guy is just fishing and is full of s..t.

drivermaker said:
I think if you know that he was born in Missouri, you also know the full story of Fast Eddie Felsen, Eddie Ezzell, Eddie Santee, Terry McKee, and of course Fast Eddie Parker, all of which were "Hustlers". Hell, maybe he wasn't just a character in a movie, maybe the movie and character was really based on him. He also knew and played a guy by the name of New York Fats before the movie came out. How am I doing so far...am I correct?

That is correct, Fast Eddy Parker told me he met Tevis and told him the story of how he went to NYC to play the legendary hustler New York Fats, and that was Walderone, rudy, ie, the Minnesota Fats. It appears Tevis may have just helped him self to the story and right into the hall of fame with it as well. If he did, why would he then later come back and admit he was a thief? Fatty later moved to Chicago and became Chicago Fats. It's a story we may never get to the bottom of. That battle raged for over a decade with fatty winning and convincing almost every one but Tevis he was the legend in the book and movie.

BazookaJoe said:
The Easter Bunny isn't real? :(

Oh no joe, say it aint so, cue ball may read this, next thing you will tell da cue ball santa is a fraud as well. Stick a bar of soap in yo mouth boy.

APA7 said:
Give Larry enough rope, he'll hang himself in his lies. The more he says, the more he gets exposed for the fraud that he is. Shame on you, Larry!!

Brian

Et tu, Brute...Is this a dagger which I see before me? Seek your pound of flesh from me. You don't brush your tooth in the morning, I am sure you file it. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em. Some are nothing nobodies going no where who seek some form of perverted twisted satisfaction trying to tear down a great one. Fie, foh, and fum, what does one expect from a dumb dumb dumb?

Thanks for the attack and slam, that was really nice of you wasn't it. I really deserved that didn't I. What was I doing there, trying to spend my time to help the guy with what I knew. For that you lable me a fraud and say shame on me. I gave the guy a very honest account of what I knew. He expected me to lie and be a fraud and I did not fall into his trap. He does not know how to react to that so he brings the thread back and all you pukes can now jump on the band wagon and make this into something it is not. You make me punk, puke.

Man, who are you, why do you do this to me, you sir are the one who has no shame here, not me in my humble opinion. If you are trying to give me a reason to stop coming in here and spending my time to help and teach this is how you do it. Just keep unfairly calling me a fraud over and over, that is working.

Where is the door, I just want out of this looney tune insane asylum, too many sickos here for my taste.

A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.

May God bless and peace be with you. May the wind be always on your back and all 9 balls fall. VENI VIDI VICI, OMNIA VINCIT AMOR. Latin for “I came, I saw, I conquered, love conquerors all. Yes I really did do it all and you can believe it, or not. If you don’t believe it, C’est La Vie. A prophet is not recognized in his own land. Rack em sausage, Go play fast and loose. In time, it’s all dust in the wind anyway

Last edited:
T

Toddbow

Sorry guys,
I didn't mean to offend anyone. Like I said in my first post, I love pool stories.
I'm not fishing for anything, I could really care less. I am an Archer who loves stories. The only reason I brought the thread back to the top was because I didn't think the picture Larry painted in his rememberances were what I've heard all of my life.
I'm 39 years old, I once lived on 1104 Pacific when my mother and father had a car accident and my mother died(I was 5). This was in the 60's. I am not a pool player by anyones standards.
I was directed to this site by a good friend after I recently aquired a Brunswick table. I covered it with Simonis and bought new rails. I thought that was pretty cool. I got to "listening" to the threads here and posted something. Boy, you guys have taught me a lesson! Thanks! And by the way,since this will be my last post, What is the deal with the "Fast Eddie" saga? Fishing my ass. Knowledege is everything. I don't have anything negative to offer so I guess I'm gone. The sister's name of Fast Eddie was Lois (Parker) McClendon. I've never met the guy,but she has told me of her pool playing brother and I thought that was who everyone was talking about.
YOU GUYS ARE REALLY TRYING TO PROMOTE POOL, AREN'T YA?
Sorry again,
Marty Todd

I

Toddbow said:
Sorry guys,
I didn't mean to offend anyone. Like I said in my first post, I love pool stories.
I'm not fishing for anything, I could really care less. I am an Archer who loves stories. The only reason I brought the thread back to the top was because I didn't think the picture Larry painted in his rememberances were what I've heard all of my life.
I'm 39 years old, I once lived on 1104 Pacific when my mother and father had a car accident and my mother died(I was 5). This was in the 60's. I am not a pool player by anyones standards.
I was directed to this site by a good friend after I recently aquired a Brunswick table. I covered it with Simonis and bought new rails. I thought that was pretty cool. I got to "listening" to the threads here and posted something. Boy, you guys have taught me a lesson! Thanks! And by the way,since this will be my last post, What is the deal with the "Fast Eddie" saga? Fishing my ass. Knowledege is everything. I don't have anything negative to offer so I guess I'm gone. The sister's name of Fast Eddie was Lois (Parker) McClendon. I've never met the guy,but she has told me of her pool playing brother and I thought that was who everyone was talking about.
YOU GUYS ARE REALLY TRYING TO PROMOTE POOL, AREN'T YA?
Sorry again,
Marty Todd

I

Dear Marty,
Wonderful point, we all need to stop quibbling about this and that and begin promoting the game we love. We need to stop knifing each other in the back and just talk pool. Thank you for your pool stories, I did enjoy reading them.

The 60's, like the man says, if you were there and you can remember being there, your were not there.

Toddbow said:
Sorry guys,
I didn't mean to offend anyone. Like I said in my first post, I love pool stories. What is the deal with the "Fast Eddie" saga? The sister's name of Fast Eddie was Lois (Parker) McClendon. I've never met the guy,but she has told me of her pool playing brother and I thought that was who everyone was talking about.

If that's all you wanted Toddbow, all you had to do was ask. Not create a thread and surreptitiously try to bait someone to prove whether they're a fraud or lier. That was a nice backpeddle on your last post, but I tend to think YOU'RE lying about your original intentions. Either way, here's the story for you and everyone else to enjoy:

Fast Eddie (Parker) was born in Springfield, Missouri in 1931. He began playing pool at age nine. He attended school at Ava, Missouri, and he was graduated from high school in 1949. While he was still a teenager, he moved to Kansas City, MO., where he was tutored by the late, great Benny Allen, a six-time world champion;and it was during that time that Fast Eddie became a money player.
In 1952 Fast Eddie Joined the Navy and moved to California. After a tour of duty in the Navy, he continued playing pool throughout the country in the 1950's and 1960's. He has taught pocket billiards ot hundreds of students, and although Fast Eddie was a money player, he won a number of tournaments, including the Cal. 14.1 straight pool tournament in the 1950's. It was when Fast Eddie was playing pool down South, in Kentucky, in the early 1950's that he bacame acquainted with a young man who had helped pay his way through college by working in a pool hall. That young man, Walter Tevis, wrote a book in1959 entitled "The Hustler", of which a motion picture was made in 1961 starring Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie, and George C. Scott. Being a money player, Fast Eddie would sometimes use assumed names. As well as Eddie Ezzell, Eddie Santee, Terry McKee, he used the name Eddie Felsen, and it was the latter that the author changed the spelling to Felson and used it in his novel. Fast Eddie's real name was Eddie Parker. According to Fast Eddie, only about 30% of the novel is based on fact. The remainder is fiction. For example, Fast Eddie told Tevis about Rudolph Wanderone, also known as "New York Fats". Tevis changed the name to "Minnesota Fats" in his novel. Wanderone later changed his name and took on "Minnesota Fats" due to the notoriety of the character and the fact that it was based somewhat on himself. Fast Eddie also related a few of his own experiences while on the road, such as the finger breaking incident and the big money match with the wealthy Kentuckian, which was played in the Kentuckian's home. Tevis changed the events slightly. Instead of Fast Eddie getting his two thumbs broken, as depicted in the movie, in reality his right forefinger was broken during the incident. The big money match with the wealthy Kentuckian was described accurately, except the match was played close to Lexington instead of in Louisville as suggested in the movie. And Fast Eddie and his stakehoure won $30,000 instead of $12,000 as depicted int the novel and in the movie. The error was that Fast Eddie's percentage of the $30,000 was $12,000, his stakehorse received the remaining $18,000. The famous pool hall "Bensinger's" was changed to Bennignton's in the Novel, and to "Ames" in the motion picture. In 1980 he set a yet unbroken record (?) by pocketing twenty-two balls in one legal stroke (the old record of twenty-one balls was, reportedly, set by Paul Gerni).
In 1982 Fast Eddie toured Europe for the Department of Defense. During that tour, he performed in West Germany, Greece, Italy and Spain. In 1987 he formed a partnership with a large Japanese company for the purpose of creating an instructional video tape; he spent 9 days in Japan performing exhibitions and creating the instructional video tape. He is the author of a pocket billiards workbook entitled "What You've Always Wanted To Know About Pocket Billiards, But Were Afraid To Ask". The workbook has been used by colleges as an instructionsal tool. The workbook and an earlier video tape by him was in the possession of actor Paul Newman before filming "The Color of Money". Fast Eddie received a letter of thanks from the actor and from the casting director, Gretchen Rennels, before filming began. Because his real identity was kept secret by himself and by the author, Walter Tevis, in 1987, a newspaper reporter asked Fast Eddie if he would consent to take a polygraph test to prove or to disprove his claim to have inspired Walter Tevis to write "The Hustler". In September of that year, a lie detector test was administered to Fast Eddie. The results proved that, indeed, Fast Eddie had told the truth and that his claims are accurate and truthful. Fast Eddie has since passed away a few years ago.

drivermaker said:
Toddbow said:
Sorry guys,
I didn't mean to offend anyone. Like I said in my first post, I love pool stories. What is the deal with the "Fast Eddie" saga? The sister's name of Fast Eddie was Lois (Parker) McClendon. I've never met the guy,but she has told me of her pool playing brother and I thought that was who everyone was talking about.

If that's all you wanted Toddbow, all you had to do was ask. Not create a thread and surreptitiously try to bait someone to prove whether they're a fraud or lier. That was a nice backpeddle on your last post, but I tend to think YOU'RE lying about your original intentions. Either way, here's the story for you and everyone else to enjoy:

Fast Eddie (Parker) was born in Springfield, Missouri in 1931. He began playing pool at age nine. He attended school at Ava, Missouri, and he was graduated from high school in 1949. While he was still a teenager, he moved to Kansas City, MO., where he was tutored by the late, great Benny Allen, a six-time world champion;and it was during that time that Fast Eddie became a money player.
In 1952 Fast Eddie Joined the Navy and moved to California. After a tour of duty in the Navy, he continued playing pool throughout the country in the 1950's and 1960's. He has taught pocket billiards ot hundreds of students, and although Fast Eddie was a money player, he won a number of tournaments, including the Cal. 14.1 straight pool tournament in the 1950's. It was when Fast Eddie was playing pool down South, in Kentucky, in the early 1950's that he bacame acquainted with a young man who had helped pay his way through college by working in a pool hall. That young man, Walter Tevis, wrote a book in1959 entitled "The Hustler", of which a motion picture was made in 1961 starring Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie, and George C. Scott. Being a money player, Fast Eddie would sometimes use assumed names. As well as Eddie Ezzell, Eddie Santee, Terry McKee, he used the name Eddie Felsen, and it was the latter that the author changed the spelling to Felson and used it in his novel. Fast Eddie's real name was Eddie Parker. According to Fast Eddie, only about 30% of the novel is based on fact. The remainder is fiction. For example, Fast Eddie told Tevis about Rudolph Wanderone, also known as "New York Fats". Tevis changed the name to "Minnesota Fats" in his novel. Wanderone later changed his name and took on "Minnesota Fats" due to the notoriety of the character and the fact that it was based somewhat on himself. Fast Eddie also related a few of his own experiences while on the road, such as the finger breaking incident and the big money match with the wealthy Kentuckian, which was played in the Kentuckian's home. Tevis changed the events slightly. Instead of Fast Eddie getting his two thumbs broken, as depicted in the movie, in reality his right forefinger was broken during the incident. The big money match with the wealthy Kentuckian was described accurately, except the match was played close to Lexington instead of in Louisville as suggested in the movie. And Fast Eddie and his stakehoure won $30,000 instead of $12,000 as depicted int the novel and in the movie. The error was that Fast Eddie's percentage of the $30,000 was $12,000, his stakehorse received the remaining $18,000. The famous pool hall "Bensinger's" was changed to Bennignton's in the Novel, and to "Ames" in the motion picture. In 1980 he set a yet unbroken record (?) by pocketing twenty-two balls in one legal stroke (the old record of twenty-one balls was, reportedly, set by Paul Gerni).
In 1982 Fast Eddie toured Europe for the Department of Defense. During that tour, he performed in West Germany, Greece, Italy and Spain. In 1987 he formed a partnership with a large Japanese company for the purpose of creating an instructional video tape; he spent 9 days in Japan performing exhibitions and creating the instructional video tape. He is the author of a pocket billiards workbook entitled "What You've Always Wanted To Know About Pocket Billiards, But Were Afraid To Ask". The workbook has been used by colleges as an instructionsal tool. The workbook and an earlier video tape by him was in the possession of actor Paul Newman before filming "The Color of Money". Fast Eddie received a letter of thanks from the actor and from the casting director, Gretchen Rennels, before filming began. Because his real identity was kept secret by himself and by the author, Walter Tevis, in 1987, a newspaper reporter asked Fast Eddie if he would consent to take a polygraph test to prove or to disprove his claim to have inspired Walter Tevis to write "The Hustler". In September of that year, a lie detector test was administered to Fast Eddie. The results proved that, indeed, Fast Eddie had told the truth and that his claims are accurate and truthful. Fast Eddie has since passed away a few years ago.

Holy cow, you really have the goods on this one, very impressive. You just confirmed every single thing I have ever said about the man on this forum.
This is the story I got from the man also. I said before and I say it again, I do believe the story.
Bennie Allen taught me my first trick shot. Fast Eddy and me as I said came up in the same pool hall together, Kling and Allens, in KCMO. It was ran by John Kling and Bennie Allen. Mosconi moved and lived in KCMO for four years just to be able to play with the best. When Ponzi died, he moved to stay in stroke playing Bennie. When Eddy died there was an obit about him put in Time magazine and the next issue Tevis's wife came back in telling everyone he was a fraud. Very sad, some ragged the poor guy even after he died, they just would not let it go. I guess I am going to suffer the same fate. Eddy was a friend, a fine man, as I have printed, many times.:rolleyes:

The 21 balls in one stroke. Gerni has told me a zillion things he has done but I could never ever get him to prove a single one, including this one also. He cant find the video, it got eaten by an Elephant, an Elephant is always part of the con. Eddy called me up asking me all about Ripley's and wanted to know how he could get in there for making the 21 balls. I gave him all the contacts and explained to him Gerni had no proff of the shot and he said his was on tape. He tought he had one and I had to break the news to him I had done 21 and I did not pursue it with Ripley's because there was a guy in chicago who this shot became his life, that is all the guy did, and at that time I think he had made 23 in 6, I think he finally went 24 or 25 in 6, what ever. It was quite a shock to Eddy to hear that. I think he still submitted his shot to them, don't know if they published it or not.

In my show I shoot the greatest shots of the greatest players of the last two centuries, I explain the shot and give credit to the man who invented it or made the shot famous. I do a shot to honor the great, Fast Eddy Parker, my friend.

Last edited: