Where da teachers..... TAT questions. ;)

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Owl aiming

I find my "sight picture" is
enhanced if I keep my eye on
the ob as I bend over into the
shot. I get a much clearer picture
of where I need the cb to go. I
think this is similar to the movement
of an owls head as it tries to zero in
on an object. If I remember correctly the
owl does it to increase parallax.

It might be that keeping my eye on the ob
as I bend into the shot just helps me line up
better.

Whatever it is I know it helps. So my TAT starts
at standing and ends at stroke, with a short stare
at the cb to make sure I'm gonna hit it where I want.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
I think this is a great discussion; I am sure there is a too long and a too short for everyone, I am sure that it varies from player to player in both length and window, I am reasonably sure that under a second (expect for the Lou Butera type) is too short and about 12-15 seconds is too long for almost anyone once your bridge hand hits the cloth. I will think about this tonight at the match, again GREAT TOPIC!

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using your natural rhythm

Here is an idea to consider. When teaching relaxation techniques I explain to people that they should use their normal heart rhythm to control their deep breathing. The body knows when it is ready. By extension I think the same technique could be used when playing pool. I doubt that it is a good idea to become aware of your breathing when you are playing as it takes away from your ability to concentrate. However, during practice sessions one could use their heart rate and breathing patters to establish a highly consistent pre-shot routine.

The technique would be to simply let yourself become aware of your natural body rhythm. You use this natural rhythm when walking, talking and many other things in your life. Let your natural breathing and heart rate control the stroke and the eye movement patterns you have developed over time. There is a speed that will “feel” natural and normal for shifting your gaze and for the speed and frequency with which you move the cue stick.

As part of a few practice sessions (ten minutes or so) do not concentrate on making balls but simply watch the comfortable setup (pre-shot routine) that you go through. Execute the shots but your concentration should be on being comfortable adjusting gaze, dwell time, speed and number of strokes that leave you feeling comfortable.

The interesting thing about this type of exercise is that your mind and body will remember what feels right and will return to these timing intervals if they help you consistently pocket balls. You have to know what your body and mind likes before you can make changes over time.

BTW if your timing is comfortable but does not lead to higher consistency you can change your natural pool playing rhythms by adjusting your breathing rates. Usually this involves learning to breathe slower as you approach the task.

Last edited:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Here is an idea to consider. When teaching relaxation techniques I explain to people that they should use their normal heart rhythm to control their deep breathing. The body knows when it is ready. By extension I think the same technique could be used when playing pool. I doubt that it is a good idea to become aware of your breathing when you are playing as it takes away from your ability to concentrate. However, during practice sessions one could use their heart rate and breathing patters to establish a highly consistent pre-shot routine.

The technique would be to simply let yourself become aware of your natural body rhythm. You use this natural rhythm when walking, talking and many other things in your life. Let your natural breathing and heart rate control the stroke and the eye movement patterns you have developed over time. There is a speed that will “feel” natural and normal for shifting your gaze and for the speed and frequency with which you move the cue stick.

As part of a few practice sessions (ten minutes or so) do not concentrate on making balls but simply watch the comfortable setup (pre-shot routine) that you go through. Execute the shots but your concentration should be on being comfortable adjusting gaze, dwell time, speed and number of strokes that leave you feeling comfortable.

The interesting thing about this type of exercise is that your mind and body will remember what feels right and will return to these timing intervals if they help you consistently pocket balls. You have to know what your body and mind likes before you can make changes over time.

BTW if your timing is comfortable but does not lead to higher consistency you can change your natural pool playing rhythms by adjusting your breathing rates. Usually this involves learning to breathe slower as you approach the task.

I good parallel I know of is some long range shooters who I know of that shoot rediculously long range shots with iron sights. Its takes them quite a long time to actually fire the shot after the process has started , like minutes at least and typically much longer. Most of this time is used controlling breathing and heart rate and establishing a tempo and rhythm within that. Now even though they are in the shooting position the whole time, aquiring the target and sighting etc come at the very very end of the process assumingly to keep the sight picture clean and fresh for the moment of truth.

It may be beneficial to have breathing as part of your early PSR where then you can 'time' the shot using breaths say from the point of table contact, bridging or whatever. X number of breaths in time with your "pre-strokes" and fire accordingly on the corresponding breath. Seems like that might create a very high level of consistancy in overall (Total) timing and make you more aware when stress or pressure is impacting your process.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"It may be beneficial to have breathing as part of your early PSR where then you can 'time' the shot using breaths say from the point of table contact, bridging or whatever. X number of breaths in time with your "pre-strokes" and fire accordingly on the corresponding breath. Seems like that might create a very high level on consistancy in overall (Total) timing." RRfireBlade

I like this idea. It implies that one coud adjut their breathing pattern before they entered the PSR. Of course it would take individual study to determine the best rate. After setting the pattern it would persist for some period of time (minutes - hours depending on training). It could be initiated before the shot, before the turn at the table or before the match depending on one's ability and training.

It would also be good to determine what knocked one out of the pattern.

It is possible to set up a physical trigger such as a hand tremor or some other natural body behavior to signal the self that the breathing pattern has been affected and needs attention.

The idea would be to set these up as normal mechanisms that do not have to be attended to during play. Actual play requires all of one's concentration.

Last edited:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
It could be initiated before the shot, before the turn at the table or before the match depending on one's ability and training.

The idea would be to set these up as normal mechanisms that do not have to be attended to during play. Actual play requires all of one's concentration.

This would be the ticket. Something you can key into while in the chair so when you come to the table, you've already addressed (and ideally controlled) your physical state before PSR even starts. By that point your complete routine is on automatic pilot including timing.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... Buddy is nowhere near 1 second on his backswing pause. Look at Allison or Karen, and then look at Buddy. They are each about 1 second. Buddy is much longer.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I know that in the big scheme of things this isn't really important (plus it's off topic), but the fact of the matter is - Buddy Hall's backstroke pause is not nearly as long as you think. I bet it's actually under a second, which is nowhere near 3-4 seconds. I would think that would be obvious to just about anybody.

Here's Buddy playing Keith McCready at the 2003 U.S. Open (forwarded ahead to Buddy running out + a real nice kick shot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsHAG8YrXG8#t=22m20s

Well, maybe he had a longer pause back a few years ago some may say. Here's a clip from the 1992 U.S. Open where he's playing Parica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SfnfsLN4iA&feature=related#t=18m45s

I see the pause and my best guess is it's right around a half a second at the most.

Now back to the thread...

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"It may be beneficial to have breathing as part of your early PSR where then you can 'time' the shot using breaths say from the point of table contact, bridging or whatever. X number of breaths in time with your "pre-strokes" and fire accordingly on the corresponding breath. Seems like that might create a very high level on consistancy in overall (Total) timing." RRfireBlade

I like this idea. It implies that one coud adjut their breathing pattern before they entered the PSR. Of course it would take individual study to determine the best rate. After setting the pattern it would persist for some period of time (minutes - hours depending on training). It could be initiated before the shot, before the turn at the table or before the match depending on one's ability and training.

It is possible to set up a physical trigger such as a hand tremor or some other natural body behavior to signal the self that the breathing pattern has been affected and needs attention.

I was taught while sitting in the chair to focus the eye's and time the breathing so my eyes are focusing in as Im breathing out picking objects around the room a far and finishing in close , For me its two fold it draws my attention away from the table calms my nerves and clears my mind untill my next trip to the table,,
My doctor said that after doing this for a long time it will become second nature and I wont have to think about it after a while it will become second nature but Im still in the learning process but have had great results ,
This was brought about because my hard wiring is from many yrs of contact sports where my breathing would become more rapid raiseing pulse ,blood presure and such taking away from my ability to focus in a game like pool where those things can work against me

For the record my doctor is a retired milatary shrink and worked yrs with shooters and Now with many pro and amature players in many sports

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was taught while sitting in the chair to focus the eye's and time the breathing so my eyes are focusing in as Im breathing out picking objects around the room a far and finishing in close , For me its two fold it draws my attention away from the table calms my nerves and clears my mind untill my next trip to the table,,
My doctor said that after doing this for a long time I wont have to think about it will become second nature but Im still in the learning process but have had great results ,
This was brought about because my hard wiring is from many yrs of contact sports where my breathing would become more rapid raiseing pulse ,blood presure and such taking away from my ability to focus in a game like pool where those things can work against me

For the record my doctor is a retired milatary shrink and worked yrs with shooters and Now with many pro and amature players in many sports
Best money I ever spent on pool , I have already made that back in a very short time

Last edited: