Tennis arm / tennis elbow operation?

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen cases where the tennis elbow was caused by Carpel tunnel. In America, most docs are pretty slow to recommend surgery for this, so when they do most options are usually exhausted.

Have you had a neck MRI? That would often be the next step if it has been treated without success, but the neck is still suspected. The only thing I dont see you trying already is eccentric exercise that starts within tolerance and progresses to an aggressive resistance. I think it's good to be thorough and make sure you have covered all bases. If it does come down to surgery as decided by you and the docs, at least it has a high success rate.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I have seen cases where the tennis elbow was caused by Carpel tunnel. In America, most docs are pretty slow to recommend surgery for this, so when they do most options are usually exhausted.

Have you had a neck MRI? That would often be the next step if it has been treated without success, but the neck is still suspected. The only thing I dont see you trying already is eccentric exercise that starts within tolerance and progresses to an aggressive resistance. I think it's good to be thorough and make sure you have covered all bases. If it does come down to surgery as decided by you and the docs, at least it has a high success rate.

I'm not a native speaker of English, so I'll have to look up what you mean with those exercises. What I've been doing are exercises trying to lengthen the sinew, i.e. stretching exercises that involve the wrist and a stretched out arm (usually a minute per exercises, maybe 10-20 times a day, not always so great given my wrists having been constantly aching a bit already since I was a teenager), as well as hanging from e.g. a carpet rod (basically achieves the same, but also good for my back, and no problem on my wrists).

I've had an MRI each after those rear-end collisions (both within the last ten years), but of course not because of my tennis arm - would they be looking for something specific?

Asking this because one of my other ailments, haemochromatosis, it seems it took so long to be diagnosed because doctors tend to examine only what they have in mind a patient must have - maybe there are also just too many possibilities…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not a native speaker of English, so I'll have to look up what you mean with those exercises. What I've been doing are exercises trying to lengthen the sinew, i.e. stretching exercises that involve the wrist and a stretched out arm (usually a minute per exercises, maybe 10-20 times a day, not always so great given my wrists having been constantly aching a bit already since I was a teenager), as well as hanging from e.g. a carpet rod (basically achieves the same, but also good for my back, and no problem on my wrists).

I've had an MRI each after those rear-end collisions (both within the last ten years), but of course not because of my tennis arm - would they be looking for something specific?

Asking this because one of my other ailments, haemochromatosis, it seems it took so long to be diagnosed because doctors tend to examine only what they have in mind a patient must have - maybe there are also just too many possibilities…

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

your old mris are not helpful now since you have new symtoms
did any of the links i sent you help??

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

mantis99
are you an orthopedist???
have an opinion on prp therapy for tennis elbow??
also the theraband flexbar was helpful for me curing my tennis elsbow
although i also wore a wrist splint and had ultrasound,iontophorsis and massage 3 time a week
took a 4-5 months to recover
had a set back
and after a year i was back playing tennis
(im one of the few to get tennis elbow from tennis)
http://www.scriphessco.com/assets/item/protocol/8480014.pdf
http://info.thera-bandacademy.com/flexbarelbow
done differently for golfers elbow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtR8fYEUnXI&feature=related
got an opinion??
to acoustics guru
i am not recommending this for you
im not your doctor

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
your old mris are not helpful now since you have new symtoms
did any of the links i sent you help??

Yes, I did get your links and have been reading excessively through several sleepless nights. Sorry, must have forgot to thank you for them: thanks so much!

One of the things I learnt there is that there's a risk of sinew degeneration with chronic inflammation of the tissue. It's true that apart from a visible muscle cramp, my right elbow looks different from what it used to (same as the left when I was young). Even though I'm a righty, I definitely have less strength in my right arm and fingers of my right hand today, but I had never paid much attention to the fact that all of a suddden, my right arm also looks less muscular instead of vice versa. Truth is, of course, since I've had back pain for 23 years, I'm used to playing through the pain, admittedly not a habit I'm proud of… It's just that one gets sort of numb after so many years of pain, plodding along, so to speak.

In all fairness, I broke a chest vertebra horizontally in a manner that at the time was inoperable, and have since then been counting my blessings I'm not paraplegic - feels like I forever lost my right to complain. Should also mention I only took up competitive playing again three years ago. Merely been instructing/coaching, as well as participating in the national team cup the years before. Basically, broke a vertebra in 1989, and gave up competitive playing in 1991.

I'll see what I can do about a new MRI. In a system of statutory health insurance, I need a doc who's convinced I need one, that's the problem. The highly reputed head surgeon's already decided I have a classic tennis arm, so this will be tough…

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
to acoustics guru
i am not recommending this for you
im not your doctor

Well, twisting hurts like hell these days. I have to ask my opponents/the people I teach/instruct or play with, to screw my cue together, and more importantly unscrew it - that's one of the single most painful movements for me today.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, twisting hurts like hell these days. I have to ask my opponents/the people I teach/instruct or play with, to screw my cue together, and more importantly unscrew it - that's one of the single most painful movements for me today.

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE FLEXBAR UNTIL YOU ARE PAIN FREE
(capital letters for emphasis)