I am not a table mechanic!!!! LOL

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I put my 8' Proline solid Oak pool table up for sale in order to get it out of my way and have a little Christmas money. Despite being a furniture table it plays really well. It has solid oak beams, and the only thing on the table that isn't oak is the plywood backing on the slate, the slate it self, the rubber, cloth, and pockets. LOL This thing weighs a ton as it has 1" slate, and although it isn't a commercial table it has always played well. It had deep shelves in the pocket so it plays really tight, and the pocket tightness when I measured were that of a diamond's pockets. (that was when I first got it I measured that.

Anyway, I want a 9' diamond or gold crown and this thing has been sitting in my shop and I didn't want to see it get ruined. So I put it up for sale and my wife thought I was nuts cause she knows how much I loved it, but she doesn't know how bad I want a 9' table. LoL

I had it for sale about 3 weeks with everyone that checked craigslist and facebook telling me that they wouldn't pay what I was asking for it. I didn't have cloth on it, so I told them they needed cloth too. I was selling everything I had for decoration too. I had 7 two piece action cues, an action jump break, 2 sets of Pro Am balls. Stain glass light, and stain glass sign too, table cover, etc, etc. I was asking $1000 for it all, but paid $4000 for the table when I got it. I figured if I was patient I could find the right buyer. Had to be someone that wanted nice furniture, but was sort of an newbie to the sport. Everyone was offering me like $300 - $500 for it.

Well after 3 weeks the right person came along said they had been looking at furniture tables and the reason they liked mine was that the whole thing was solid oak including the support beams that run down it both direction. We talked on cloth and set up, and the next thing I know they said hey we will pay you to set it up with some cheap cloth because we are going to move it in 10-12 months anyway when our new house is finished!

So I picked up some Champion cloth from HT at Paridise (he is the only one in town that had cloth.) I picked up some beeswax from Michael's crafts. Grabbed my trailer and tools and her Son and I moved the table to their current location. 5 hours later I found out that it still plays really well, but I am no table mechanic and RKC would probably laugh at my work! hahahaha

The table turned out pretty good, the two things that killed me were the cloth at the pockets, and the rails. Rails turned out great but took me a long time to get them just right. The cloth for the pockets don't look the greatest, but they are functional and no staples or anything will chip balls as I used the glue on the pockets. Leveling I hit it dead on, and it's a good thing I paid attention when Eric set it up for me a few years ago. It plays just as good as when he set it up for me.

5 hours worth of work and she gave me $150. Not too bad for not being a mechanic. I pocketed $1150 for everything, and even got to shoot on it one last time! I have mixed emotions cause I miss it already, but I am excited to pick out my 9' table soon! I really needed to sale this thing though cause I had stored it for 3yrs! I didn't realize it had been that long. It was in a climate controlled storage for most that time, and the last year in my shop.

Anyway green felt pics are when I very first got it back in 2005. All the decoration in the pics are what I let go with the table as well! The camel cloth is how it looks after I set it up. :thumbup:

Attachments

• HPIM2718.jpg
    HPIM2718.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 543
  • HPIM2717.jpg
    HPIM2717.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 541

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My setup job!

Here's what it looked like after I set it up! This is the first time I have ever set up a table. Funny too cause I have taken this table down 4 times now! hahahaha :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 528
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 526
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 518

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:eek:I just noticed that I took the pics before we really had it all set up. You can see in the 1st pic, and the 3rd pic that the skirt of the table was loose and not flush up to the table! hahaha I assure you that I did go back and double check everything before I left and that wasn't hanging like it is in the pic! lol

Like I said it played just like it did when Eric set it up for me, and it looked almost as good as he did! The only thing is that the leather on the pockets need dyed. I gave them the number of the person I found that would do all 6 for like $50 and he is a leather saddle repair man.

Now I need to call Eric up and see if he wants to set this thing up for them when they move, cause he is way better than me at it and it takes him a lot less time. hahahaha :cool:

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it was so bad nobody wanted to comment! LOL
Oh well, I just felt like sharing cause I am excited I got it out the way and can now go buy the 9' when I get my den finished up.

Catalyze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did fine if you got paid and had fun doing it. Grats for the patience to get the price that you wanted. Now you can dream of that new table!
Craig

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did fine if you got paid and had fun doing it. Grats for the patience to get the price that you wanted. Now you can dream of that new table!
Craig

Thanks Craig, I didn't know if I would get the price I wanted or not. About a year ago I kicked the idea of selling it around and everyone pretty much told me to expect $300 - $500 for it at most. I took a gamble and it paid off, and my buddy sold his Diamond for $4500 down here! That was crazy!

mcericville

Rack, Break, Run, Repeat
Congrats! and the cloth looks good from all I can tell, I think you've got an alternative career choice in front of you! lol

maybe this is a terrible question (or a geographic thing?) but what is a "furniture" table, why are they called that, and where does that term come from?

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats! and the cloth looks good from all I can tell, I think you've got an alternative career choice in front of you! lol

maybe this is a terrible question (or a geographic thing?) but what is a "furniture" table, why are they called that, and where does that term come from?

I don't know if furniture table is the actual term for it, but a lot of people call tables that aren't a commercial design more of a furniture table. Meaning they look really good for a house and as decor but a lot of them don't play that great. Personally I looked around and wanted a furniture table at the time so I made sure it had everything I was looking for. I didn't want a cheap wood I wanted solid oak throughout, and I wanted true 1" slate. I got lucky and the slate was a little deeper in the pocket for a deep shelf which made the table tough. I liked it that way, and it made me a better player because of it. But I really like Diamonds now, and I really am leaning towards a Diamond

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks good to me. Yes, its a furniture table.

Matthew Webb

Was the general turn furniture table for the looks only? Or was it because furniture tables in general do not play as good as commercial tables? I have played on a lot of different tables, and this particular table played like a champ. And most of my buddies liked to come practice on it before we took off to any tourney to play in. So I was just wondering if furniture was just because of the looks and it looks like a piece of furniture, or if it was more deemed that because most feel commercial tables are far more superior in the way that they play?