Vikore shaft review

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
Hey guys, as the title reads..I will be giving up my 2 cents about the Vikore LD shaft from Viking Cues. First off I am still giving it a good test drive before I give you guys an in depth personal opinion on the shaft and its characteristics.. So this is just a heads up.

My first impression of the cue though was very nice. It rolled dead straight, no uneven taper roll whatsoever and even better is that it was made in the good ol USA. It comes with what seems to be the standard tip for all LD shafts made today which is the Tiger Everest tip that has the red line layer that is meant to mark when you are supposed to get the tip changed out... The tip mm ( ferrule meets layered tip ) is measured at 13mm and weighs in at 3.7 oz. The ferrule is an off white color and measures 3/4 inch long...ok so now that that's outta the way, I pieced together the shaft and butt together and did the little side tap to see how stiff the cue was and sure enough it's solid. Oh and for those wondering..No, this shaft will not fit on your standard 5/16x18 joint..Only fits on the Viking Quick Release joint, I just tried it. Expect the review to be up by the end of next week.

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
No need for a week of testing....

This shaft plays GREAT! I know I said I'd give it till the end of next week for this review, but after a good long practice day to give it the proper testing I can honestly say this is a great LD shaft and for the price, fuggedaboudid! Here's my comparisons..I brought with me 2 of the most popular of the LD shafts brands to compare to, an OB-1 12.75mm and an original Predator 314 12.3mm. I would shoot a series of particular shots using left and right english from minimum of half tip to maximim of 2 tips and started out wit ob then pred then the Vikore and heres my findings. The cue's feedback is like that of a regular maple shaft which is obviously the reason for it's design, It doesnt feel hollow or dead at all. I wish I had the Mezz's WD700 and McDermott's G-Core to compare the Vikore considering the similar LD design of utilizing a full maple shaft and coring it. In any case from what I remember from those shafts, I didnt like the taper as well as the feedback like I do with the Vikore. Before I move on lemme just say this, the feel of the hit doesnt feel like a Predator or an OB because of the full maple shaft design, so that being said let's get to the meat of the review and that's the shaft deflection performance between the 3. Oh and before I forget my tip shape used is a dime and the LD aiming I used is obviously parrallel english NOT pivot, whether its BHE or FHE. So onto the review...I started with just a half tip left and right across the board from corner to corner pocket with the cb 2 diamonds up from the bottom corner and the ob 2 diamonds from the top corner. I started with slow speeds pregressing to medium speeds until I finally got to high speeds. And found that all three performed equal in accuracy and speed with one and a half tip of english and up to medium speed strokes. However the differences started showing up when stroking the shot at higher speeds ( not punching the shot mind you ) and using more than a full tip of english. At the distance I had the shot set at the cue that performed the best of the bunch was the OB, second is the Pred and as I had predicted the Vikore was third. Now, this DOESNT mean the shaft didnt perform well , because it performed great, it just didnt stay as close to accurate as the others did with high speed strokes using a tip and a half of english or more. But here's my deal, I honestly NEVER use in games more than one tip of english and being able to use a tip and a half of english with great acuracy is all I look for and the fact that it has all the great characteristics of a standard maple shaft makes this shaft a great choice for any looking to upgrade their viking shaft whether its a standard or a V Pro V Spin or V Crush. Aside from english, follow and draw shots whether minimum or max was EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY. Oh Before I forget, I really worked in the Everest tip it has till it hit hard like a rock. IMHO the medium/hard tip really gives the cue great feedback. I'm not a fav of soft tips due to too much "bounce" but I bet mixed with this shaft especially with it's taper, you would get some WICKED action. I know with the set up I have that it definitely made that cue ball dance when I was pulling off some crazy stroke shots. It was honestly scary buying this shaft because there's not a big market for vikings especially with their new LD shaft line up. I was just going to buy an OB for my viking ( The OG shaft is warped from OG owner ) and as some of you have seen, I have been posting in search for any and all Viking shafts but no one ever hit me up. ( Viking shafts must be hard to come by?? ) In any case here's my personal review of the shaft and I hope it helps any out there in deciding on pulling the trigger on one. what more can you ask for right? Standard maple shaft in every way but without all the high deflection, excellent taper..Can't miss, oh especially the price I got it at. For those of you who are lookin to get it for cheap, hit up Matt from Webbs Billiards..Lol he had to hit me up several times before I gave in..but honestly he took care of me and gave me a SICK deal on the shaft. Thanks all... PM me any particular questions you have on my take on the shaft.

PS...Just found out that this shaft can be ordered with any joint type, not just viking quick release. Good to know!

Last edited:

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
I can't lie......

Cool! I was thinking about getting a Viking with a Vikore shaft as a new cue, however, I went with a Poison in the end. Made a review as well:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=305854
It was a tough decision, but I know I couldn't have gotten wrong with Viking.

Honestly I HATED Viking cues because of the crazy erratic designs. Literally nothing appealed to me, especially all the ones with all that mother of pearl in weird shapes etc. Because of this fact I never even tried to shoot with one, BIG mistake. I recently became friends with a guy that shoots with a plain jane Viking and I tried it out and I liked the taper of the shaft and how the butt end is thinner than most brands out there, that I started browsing for Viking cues to see if anything would catch my eye. Sure enough a Viking popped up on ebay that just spoke to me. even though it had a really crazy look to it, it just fit me for some reason..So I ended up bidding on it and getting it for a lil over 2 bills. Needless to say It was even better holding it in my hands. I have owned and played with almost every production brand cue as well as owned many nice high end custom cues and I know now that if I had this Viking with me from the get go, it would be the only cue I play with among the bunch. I currently have a really nice fancy older falcon cue that was going to be my only player but ever since the Viking had arrived, its playing second fiddle. Seriously, it just fits all my personal preferences as far as what I personally want in a cue as far as performance goes..with the added looks, it's just a plus

IMG_20130122_081921.jpg

IMG_20130122_081940.jpg

Last edited:

Rio19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You for the review of this shaft. I have been thinking of trying a Viking and I actually contacted Webb billiards but I was a little set back after trying my buddies Viking with a VPro shaft.

Now I am rethinking the situation because my son wants to learn how to play and he needs a good starter cue. As soon as I sale my Joss I just might buy one..

Thanks Again:thumbup:

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
viking wuld be a great starter..as well as ender..

Thank You for the review of this shaft. I have been thinking of trying a Viking and I actually contacted Webb billiards but I was a little set back after trying my buddies Viking with a VPro shaft.

Now I am rethinking the situation because my son wants to learn how to play and he needs a good starter cue. As soon as I sale my Joss I just might buy one..

Thanks Again:thumbup:

Yeah The V series viking shafts are just the standard maple shafts but with modified tapers, thats about it. Nothing real hi tech. I personally shot with my buddies V pro that has been whittled down to just a hair under 12mm with one of my pressed Elk Masters and that bad boy gets great action and the deflection isnt as high as a regular maple shaft can be. Like I mentioned before though, I love the taper. I dont like tapers that climb up my bridge so fast. I use a very snug/tight bridge loop and a nice long taper is my preference. The taper isnt as stiff as some brands due to its taper progression, but that again is my preference. Too stiff and I will have to change up my shooting style a bit and I hate doin that.. aside from all that, I hope you find your son a cue he loves, whether it be Viking or not.

LifeAt35mm

Registered
I agree that the Vikore is a great playing shaft. I purchased one about 3months ago for a Viking cues I have had for about 10yrs. I opted for the 12mm tip and I thoroughly enjoy it!!!

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
Tapered down from 13mm to 11.5 and it plays even better than my last review on it

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2