Screw on ferrels

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Screw on ferrules

Does anyone use screw on ferrules that aren't glued?

Last edited:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone use screw on ferrels that aren't glued?

I had a cheaper cue back in the early 70's that had replaceable ferrule and tips and I thought it was a great idea. Since then however, I learned about the correlation between end mass and cue ball deflection.

Dick

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Shaffer

I had a cheaper cue back in the early 70's that had replaceable ferrule and tips and I thought it was a great idea. Since then however, I learned about the correlation between end mass and cue ball deflection.

Dick

About 1964 I was offered Jacob (Jake) Schaefer, Jr.'s cue that had 2 screw on ferrels. It was a beautiful cue owned by one of the greats. I don't see why threads would change the deflection Now they are threaded and glued.

Last edited:

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Hmm looked all wood with ivory ferrels. Anyhow anyone played with non glued ferrels?

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 1964 I was offered Shaffer's cue that had 2 screw on ferrels. It was a beautiful cue owned by one of the greats. I don't see why threads would change the deflection Now they are threaded and glued.

The one I had had a steel pin glued into the shaft similar to a older Viking. The ferrule was a normal one but had matching threads. The steel pin weighs much more than the maple that it displaced hence the comment on deflection. I've never seen a removeable ferrule where the pin was wood.

Dick

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wethered made a system for removable ferrules. I have a Paradise cue with thread on ferrules that are made to be removed. I think the wood threads we use today would hold up nearly as well as their steel screw, so I see no reason it would not work. I have never had much confidence that it would not work loose and cost you a game once in a while.