90-90 DVD & Book Reviews?

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see it mentions in the 90 90 thin cuts section a "hip pivot". What is meant by a hip pivot? Is that explained elsewhere on the website as I don't remember that being demonstrated and explained in detail on the DVD?

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
No more alignment for straight in shots?

LOL :smile::smile:
"Straight in's" and many guys at the pool hall can't do them for some reason which is common for "Straight in's".
Ron explains Straight in's in detail on the DVD, explaining that the cue ball remains flat with no spin.
The "Straight in" instructions are in his work book with diagram 1 - 5. And there is also a chapter on the DVD.
Hope this helps.
Peace:smile:
PS: If this image violates any copyright laws please PM me and I'll remove it asap.

Attachments

• Straight.jpg
    Straight.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I see it mentions in the 90 90 thin cuts section a "hip pivot". What is meant by a hip pivot? Is that explained elsewhere on the website as I don't remember that being demonstrated and explained in detail on the DVD?

Nob, he hip pivots on 100% of the shots in the dvd. It's self explanatory. That's like needing a breakdown on how to blow your nose. If you merely copied what he did, you'd be successful.

You're being way over-the-top. He also didn't cover how to hold the cue, how tight you should fasten your shoes laces or whether you should breathe in or out on your final stroke. I've mainly stayed out of this but your constant rant about how he never covered anything is simply wrong and it almost seems like a personal vendetta.

Like I said, I totally "got it" within 5 mins during a phone lesson with Ron. Personally, I felt his DVD was packed with a lot of unique info that I haven't seen in any other video ever.

This info is simply so basic, that to be as confused as you implies you're fvxking with Ron or that you have a learning disability. If you would have called Ron for help, he would have loved to help you out and would have refunded your money to the penny. Instead, you're going out of your way to make an ass out of him, selling the DVD for less than what you would have got a refund for, etc. That basically says you're avoiding Ron just so you can continue to attack the man for some reason.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked a simple question Dave. I guess you and Ron's idea of video instruction is to take 100 shots, say something after each shot like "that was a good shot" and then say "there's how you do it".

Thanks for the insults Dave. Sorry I happen to disagree with your opinion. I think if you knew me at all and my background, accusing me of a learning disability would only serve to expose your own ignorance.

Alright, I am done with this, you can have the last word if that makes you feel better. You'd be surprised how many people I've heard from you agree with my opinion of the DVD but don't wish to say anything because they think Ron is a nice guy or they don't wish to get into an argument with you. Honestly, I didn't care about the $79 as the 3 hours of my time that was wasted. The DVD was like one of those incredibly over hyped movies. You watch and watch thinking it has to get better at some time; then you find yourself looking at the screen and it says "The End".

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I asked a simple question Dave. I guess you and Ron's idea of video instruction is to take 100 shots, say something after each shot like "that was a good shot" and then say "there's how you do it".

Thanks for the insults Dave. Sorry I happen to disagree with your opinion. I think if you knew me at all and my background, accusing me of a learning disability would only serve to expose your own ignorance.

Alright, I am done with this, you can have the last word if that makes you feel better. You'd be surprised how many people I've heard from you agree with my opinion of the DVD but don't wish to say anything because they think Ron is a nice guy or they don't wish to get into an argument with you. Honestly, I didn't care about the $79 as the 3 hours of my time that was wasted. The DVD was like one of those incredibly over hyped movies. You watch and watch thinking it has to get better at some time; then you find yourself looking at the screen and it says "The End".

Why would you think there needs to be a breakdown of a hip pivot in the video? The cue alignments are straight forward: chocolate, vanilla or strawberry for the most part. Where to put your feet? Obviously where they should be at your final post pivot position.

If you literally invested 15 minutes at a table to dig into what Ron was saying, if you're as smart as you say... you'd pick it up instantly. If you can't, maybe you just stroke crooked?

Sorry, but I'm not insulting you... I'm calling a spade a spade. When Ron showed me a copy of his first video attempt, I told him that I didn't like it at all.... so I'm not a yes-man. When he redid his video and showed me his current video, everything one would ever need to learn this is on the DVD set if you pair it with a hair of effort.

When you say "there's zero instruction," that's so over the top one can't be that dense unless there's a vendetta of some kind. Allen Hopkins watched the set and he was enamored with it and told Ron to use his name for FREE because he liked it so much, saying how he talked about things that most instructors don't know or don't discuss.

If the DVD wasn't for you...fine. I helped him in his booth at the expo the entire time because his health is failing. I know for a fact that he handed out his card with his cell# to every single customer of his and told them to call any time with questions. I'm willing to bet you never called and I'm willing to bet you have a miniscule amount of time of the table working with the system.

Reminds me of when Lou Figueroa bought Stan's video and wrote a similar review after owning the DVD for about a day or two....clearly zero effort.

Anyways, I'm glad your day job is something that justifies that you're a smart cookie... so thanks for pointing that out. Even if you disregard the entire first DVD, to say you got nothing out of DVD2 is simply hard to imagine unless you bank and kick like God, which you might. Even so, that means you're God, not that the DVD is bad.

Dave

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't at the show Dave, someone picked up the dvd for me, so I didn't get a card. I did put time in at the table with the system. Now that I see it on his Web site, the cue alignment is quite simple (although it isn't exactly easy to get lined up at longer distances between cb and ob, although that is basically true of any aiming system). I've heard several explanations for the pivot, all different. Since you obviously understand the system, I was simply asking for an explanation of the hip pivot. I want asking to be facetious, I would like to spend more time working with the system.

Unlike Lou, I'm not knocking the system. I've worked with it enough to see that it is valid and functional. My criticism is only directed at the content of the dvd itself.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really care and I'm going to quit posting about the DVD. I simply think it is wrong for people to post glorious things about a DVD simply because they think Ron Vitello is a great guy. Here's the deal. I bet you could take 25 relative beginners at pool who've never heard of 90/90, let them watch the DVD 5 times and I'll bet you none of them would be able to execute the system properly by only watching the DVD.

Your description sounds like most posters who had a problem understanding Pro 1 from the first DVD.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your description sounds like most posters who had a problem understanding Pro 1 from the first DVD.

I understand that. I think CTE/Pro One DVD2 was substantially superior to the first one. However, Stan didn't just include a small booklet with DVD1 that diagrammed the CTE/ETA, ETB, ETC, etc.. He spent considerable time actually demonstrating the steps to employ CTE/Pro One. Ron spent zero time, by comparison, actually going through the step by step instructions for setting up the different alignments. On top of that, Stan invested tons of time with around 20 YouTube videos to supplement that first DVD.

I think both systems have merit, obviously, I am bias towards CTE/Pro One and have a ton of time invested in it. It seems like 90/90 has some gaps, it makes me wonder how sound the theory is when it doesn't work for a straight in shot. I do think 90/90 is a little simpler to understand the setups. I like edges better than "one tip in from the edge" but that may just be personal preference.

It all boils down to what I said originally. I find it mind boggling that an Instructional DVD for an aiming system would be 3 hours long, sell for $79 and not spend even 5 minutes explaining the actual set up of the system step by step. If you want to compare it to CTE/Pro One DVD 1, can you say the same about it? I'm not trying to get into a 90/90 vs CTE/Pro One pissing contest.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Hi Nobcitypool,
Can you explain "It seems like 90/90 has some gaps" and what they are?
Also please read an above post I posted regarding the 90/90 straight ins.
I stand corrected on the "Straight in" diagram as it's in the Straight in chapter of the DVD and not on the 90/90 diagram page.
I've been unable to unloaded it to this post for some reason.
Peace to all :)

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Nobcitypool,
Can you explain "It seems like 90/90 has some gaps" and what they are?
Also please read an above post I posted regarding the 90/90 straight ins.
I stand corrected on the "Straight in" diagram as it's in the Straight in chapter of the DVD and not on the 90/90 diagram page.
I've been unable to unloaded it to this post for some reason.
Peace to all :)

Perhaps I missed it, but where is the 90/90 set up to hit a straight or near straight shot?

Does 90/90 geometrically connect to the entire table?

I spent a fair amount of time trying to hit some extreme thin cuts with 90/Reverse. It felt like to me that 90/Reverse takes you to something close to the aim line but then requires a bit of tweaking. In fairness, I've not spent enough time to consider myself proficient. If I compare it to Pro One, I find that 60 degree perception and then pivot one way or the other. 90/Reverse only pivots one way. There's very, very little margin for error with those shots which is why I shot a bunch of them trying to see how it worked. Looked like it gets you close but some adjustment is required to make a lot of the shots. BTW, you could put question marks behind a lot of those statements as I'm asking them hoping someone will offer an explanation that will work for me.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I missed it, but where is the 90/90 set up to hit a straight or near straight shot?

Does 90/90 geometrically connect to the entire table?

I spent a fair amount of time trying to hit some extreme thin cuts with 90/Reverse. It felt like to me that 90/Reverse takes you to something close to the aim line but then requires a bit of tweaking. In fairness, I've not spent enough time to consider myself proficient. If I compare it to Pro One, I find that 60 degree perception and then pivot one way or the other. 90/Reverse only pivots one way. There's very, very little margin for error with those shots which is why I shot a bunch of them trying to see how it worked. Looked like it gets you close but some adjustment is required to make a lot of the shots. BTW, you could put question marks behind a lot of those statements as I'm asking them hoping someone will offer an explanation that will work for me.

Pages 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 for straight in setup. Half tip from center of CB to edge of OB and pivot back to center CB is printed on top of pages.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't at the show Dave, someone picked up the dvd for me, so I didn't get a card. I did put time in at the table with the system. Now that I see it on his Web site, the cue alignment is quite simple (although it isn't exactly easy to get lined up at longer distances between cb and ob, although that is basically true of any aiming system). I've heard several explanations for the pivot, all different. Since you obviously understand the system, I was simply asking for an explanation of the hip pivot. I want asking to be facetious, I would like to spend more time working with the system.

Unlike Lou, I'm not knocking the system. I've worked with it enough to see that it is valid and functional. My criticism is only directed at the content of the dvd itself.

I too like Dave learned 90/90 over the phone and was making shots the first lesson. If I had to give two issues that I struggled with. One would be that I was not consistent with the pivot. My problem was that I was moving my bridge hand when I pivoted because I was uncomfortable in my stance. I was uncomfortable in my stance because I had to figure out where my back foot had to be in relation to the shot line before I got down on the shot. Once I got that worked out I was much more consistent. If I had to guess why Ron spent more time showing the different shots I'd say that knowing when 90/90 becomes 90/ctr is more difficult than the setup is. That's why he gives you what I call the checks in the book. It's like checking your math. He shows you in the inset where your cuetip should end up if you did everthing right. I too had questions but I called Ron and he very patiently helped me through it. Ron, Stan, CJ, and Eekes take a lot of guff from a few folks here on AZ. Sure these guys have a product to sell, but from talking with them all I feel they are all very genuine in their pursuit to make this game more simple by giving another way to learn for some of us that learn things differently. I hope you truly are trying to learn this system and not just trying to stress out a friend that has some health issues already. I hope what I've posted has helped you on your journey to learn. Take it easy and play well!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I spent a fair amount of time trying to hit some extreme thin cuts with 90/Reverse.

How much time would you consider a fair amount of time? What are you considering an extreme cut?

It felt like to me that 90/Reverse takes you to something close to the aim line but then requires a bit of tweaking.

If you require tweaking, how do you know that you're not aligned crookedly?

In fairness, I've not spent enough time to consider myself proficient.

If you're not proficient, how would you know where the system is pointing you if you don't even know if you're executing correctly? In all FAIRNESS, you've gone on and on in this thread knocking Ron and his DVD to death and you've had nothing but question after question which some on here have been nice enough to answer for you. Have you ever considered calling Ron himself? What's wrong with going straight to the source?

You say that you can add a "?" to the end of every comment in your earlier thread, so if you have questions - ask the man himself. Instead, you've done nothing but knock the man non-stop implying he's a retard when making his video. After making films like Missing in Action II, Bloodsport, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Death Wish 4, Cocaine Cowboys and Deep Throat, I think the man knows a hair more than you when it comes to making anything that involves video. Take a moment and think --- if you don't get it it MAY not be the video, it might be you.

So you watched the video and it wasn't for you and you're lost --- so be it - we get it. You've made your point. It seems like you're grandstanding here asking question after question when you're not really wanting the answers. If you REALLY wanted the answers, you'd call Ron, his number is in the other thread. Even though you've gone out of your way to insult the guy, I'm sure he'd still help you because that's the kind of guy he is.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever Dave. If the dvd weren't so poor, I wouldn't need to ask these basic questions. You said you were going to answer a question and instead, turn around and insulted me.

If Ron wanted to sell phone lessons, he should have offered that instead of a dvd. The only questions I've seen answered on this thread were to provide a link to his website and to call him. If the system is so simple, why not just answer my questions and be done with it?

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you serious

Whatever Dave. If the dvd weren't so poor, I wouldn't need to ask these basic questions. You said you were going to answer a question and instead, turn around and insulted me.

If Ron wanted to sell phone lessons, he should have offered that instead of a dvd. The only questions I've seen answered on this thread were to provide a link to his website and to call him. If the system is so simple, why not just answer my questions and be done with it?

You bring up a stupid line like "geometically connected" and you cant figure out this simple system? You are suppose to be a Pro One player, and you cant' figure this out?

I thought that Pro One didn't have any gaps and was the end all of aiming. What are you even trying to do this for anyway? Please go back to Pro One evidently you are to smart for this simplistic system.

A little hint for you. Your perception is the DVD is poor. My perception is it simple and could be taught in two minutes to anyone (but you i guess). So the poll should be is the DVD poor or is it you?

Please don't reply, just go back to Pro One, you don't need anything else. You are too good for this

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too like Dave learned 90/90 over the phone and was making shots the first lesson. If I had to give two issues that I struggled with. One would be that I was not consistent with the pivot. My problem was that I was moving my bridge hand when I pivoted because I was uncomfortable in my stance. I was uncomfortable in my stance because I had to figure out where my back foot had to be in relation to the shot line before I got down on the shot. Once I got that worked out I was much more consistent. If I had to guess why Ron spent more time showing the different shots I'd say that knowing when 90/90 becomes 90/ctr is more difficult than the setup is. That's why he gives you what I call the checks in the book. It's like checking your math. He shows you in the inset where your cuetip should end up if you did everthing right. I too had questions but I called Ron and he very patiently helped me through it. Ron, Stan, CJ, and Eekes take a lot of guff from a few folks here on AZ. Sure these guys have a product to sell, but from talking with them all I feel they are all very genuine in their pursuit to make this game more simple by giving another way to learn for some of us that learn things differently. I hope you truly are trying to learn this system and not just trying to stress out a friend that has some health issues already. I hope what I've posted has helped you on your journey to learn. Take it easy and play well!

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience. At this point, I'm trying to learn the 90/90 shots mostly. I believe the materials say these cover 80% plus of the shots. I spent a little time on the 90 reverse just to see how it might work. I'm trying to keep the shots reasonably simple, 1/4 to 1/3 ball hit, 2 to 4 diamonds apart. I think you hit on a couple of key elements I may have been messing up. The hip pivot thing is different than other pivot systems for sure. I think I see that now, you have to kind of "pre align" your stance to the approximate aim line, get the 90/90 perception then hip pivot into CCB. I think your mention of the back foot is likely a key as this allow free movement of the hip pivot. I'm guessing if you don't have that back foot placed correctly, the hip pivot will be restricted and you won't get to CCB.

Thanks!

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You bring up a stupid line like "geometically connected" and you cant figure out this simple system? You are suppose to be a Pro One player, and you cant' figure this out?

I thought that Pro One didn't have any gaps and was the end all of aiming. What are you even trying to do this for anyway? Please go back to Pro One evidently you are to smart for this simplistic system.

A little hint for you. Your perception is the DVD is poor. My perception is it simple and could be taught in two minutes to anyone (but you i guess). So the poll should be is the DVD poor or is it you?

Please don't reply, just go back to Pro One, you don't need anything else. You are too good for this

I remember you, you're one of the guys who has spent a fair amount of time bashing CTE/Pro One. Thanks for your positive comments. If I get to the point where I need someone other than my Mother or Wife to attempt to tell me what to do or how to act, I'll make sure I contact you first.

Here's my hint to you. The system may be simplistic and it may be effective. Unlike you, I'm not knocking the system. I absolutely believe there is merit to it. I'm offering my blunt assessment of the instructional quality of the DVD. That's it. I don't know enough about the system to state it doesn't work. I've said that. I'm getting jumped on because I offered my assessment of the quality of the DVD itself.

Just so you know, I've had multiple people who have also seen the DVD say they absolutely agree with me. That's in addition to the one fellow, I believe it was ScottK, who started a thread criticizing the DVD for the exact same reasons I did. So it's not just me.

Funny how you've made a fair amount of posts critical of CTE/Pro One and it is painfully clear you don't understand it in the least. But turn it around and here you are blasting me. Can you spell H Y P O C R I T E?

You know what I absolutely believe? People know Ron is ill and they know he is a nice person so they won't say anything at all about the DVD. I was in the same camp. I also think many don't want to get blasted by SpiderWebCom's aggressive posting style. However, I think it is ethically and morally wrong for people to be misled into making a $79 purchase based upon emotionally biased reviews.

I now see I made a mistake of getting into this any further than my initial review. I sincerely apologize for that. While I've learned to never say never, at this point I intend to be done responding to any posts or threads relating to the 90/90 DVD.

Se7en6ix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mr. Ron should post some more videos on YouTube just like Stan (Pro 1) and Ekkes (SEE).
I've seen Ron's Video Sample where he demonstrated some 90/90 shots. And honestly I didn't like the way he presented it, but I do understand what he's implying for the reason that I play and love pool.

I think Ron is a good person who practice what he preach (based on the forums I've read of course)

“The attentiveness of the audience depends upon the speaker”

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Because I put some thought into it and you continue to ask these grandstanding questions with Ron's phone number in your face and for some reason, you refuse to call it, so I think you have an ulterior motive. You want the world to answer your questions but refuse to make a simple call to ask for the answers to your simple questions.

I decided to not answer your simple question because frankly I don't like the way you're knocking Ron. Ron's info is easier to figure out than tic tac toe, yet you're just sooooo lost. So goooood luck.