To all the Mike Dechaine Nay-Sayers.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
This all stems from MD not being put on the MC team and his followers just can't get over it ,, the reality and the facts as we know it , is MD has made his own bed for the most part with out consequences ,, his pattern racking is not the only pattern he's shown
Sooner or later it catches up to you ,, he by his own admittance knows it and has said he's working on it ,, actions speak louder than words when the pattern changes long enough people will recognize it and he will be on future MC teams

I don't agree. Does Mike have a mercurial personality, yes he does because he's passionate about his game but I find no fault with that. As far as pattern racking goes I really get tired of hearing about it. It's not new, it's not against the rules & only comes up in rack your own & in rack your own they all do it, SVB is known for it as are many others but I don't see anyone tearing the golden boy or any of the others down. Has he made a few mistakes, yes he has & has admitted so which is growth, people need to let him up. The fact remains he is probably the 2nd most talented rotation player in the US & all this talk of being a regional wonder is just that, talk. The man has mad skills, give him his due.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I don't agree. Does Mike have a mercurial personality, yes he does because he's passionate about his game but I find no fault with that. As far as pattern racking goes I really get tired of hearing about it. It's not new, it's not against the rules & only comes up in rack your own & in rack your own they all do it, SVB is known for it as are many others but I don't see anyone tearing the golden boy or any of the others down. Has he made a few mistakes, yes he has & has admitted so which is growth, people need to let him up. The fact remains he is probably the 2nd most talented rotation player in the US & all this talk of being a regional wonder is just that, talk. The man has mad skills, give him his due.

Props to you for setting it down right.....

Pattern racking has and will happen but the deal is the snot slingers likely couldn't pattern rack on a magic rack and execute the break to where it would even matter.... Most all of the pros do it to some extent but it works for them because they execute... Based on the video I really see no reason to complain if your not butt hurt from something else... Maybe their breaks suck? Who knows...

What I do know is the Mike is right behind Shane as far as what the USA has going for it moving forward... IF he was in a big money sport he would have a publicist, a manager and a handler that could have helped steer him thru these younger years...

What Mike has now tho is OB Cues and Shane Sinnott... Shane is a pretty smart cookie or Royce wouldn't have snagged him up... I have a pretty good feeling about this relationship helping mentor Mike thru the next few years....

All Mike has to do is play the game, work on keeping his emotions in check and respecting his opportunity... Next year he has my vote for US Mosconi Cup barring any shenanigans which I just don't see happening... and I wouldn't mind seeing him get his ducks in a row and keeping Shane from winning his 3rd in a row in Chesapeake this year.....

Chris

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best post of the thread IMO

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you really think Sky can play Mike some on a big table even?

I don't know but he's gaining ground fast ,, 3 yrs ago in Vegas when he was trying to get Jason Kirkwood to play on the big table he said he player even with Warren Kiamco

I think he's just about the fastest learning player I've ever seen ,, beating Shane 3 times in the same week is phenomenal feat don't care if it's on a bumper pool table
Kids super mentally tough

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well it really doesn't matter what you think ,I've seen Mikes bad behavior and maybe you don't care if he acts like a ass while representing the USA , apparently Mark feels the same ,, I tip my hat to the guy
Admitting you have a problem and correcting it are far from the same people will let up when he's proven he can act accordingly on a regular basis ,, and he's yet to prove that
End of Story

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Yes, it was a terrific match by Mike. But he made 5 balls on the break just once, not multiple times.

Mike broke 8 times -- once dry and 7 times wet. On the wet breaks he made one ball once, two balls 4 times, three balls once, and five balls once. Six of the 8 breaks were B&R games!

On 6 of those 7 wet breaks, the second-row ball on the breaker's side went in the side pocket on the same side. That was the 4-ball all 6 times. The one time he reversed the 4- and 5-balls in that second row, the 5-ball did not go in the side!

Do you know how many balls he missed during this match?

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Mike is a young guy, don't write him off as an earl just yet. His head is bound to stop growing soon.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
he's talent was never in question i think. its his attitude and likability. he's kind of a *****, not that it's a bad thing especially in competition, it could give him an edge, but it can hurt his chances of getting challenge matches like the shaw/svb if people don't like you. and shaw is too aggressive, if he learns to control himself and play smarter he'll be one of the best, and he's also fun to watch, shoots fast and with confidence.

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think anyone disputes his talent. good very good player. I still like shaw overall, think yes dechaine is on form and shaw isn't think that's partly down to shaw having a kid on the way but nonetheless if dechaine called him out and was for big cash shaw would win but be very close, obviously depends on the game..

with that dechaine seems like a one trick pony good breaker and rotation player, never see him playing 1 pocket, straights, banks, even bar table 8 or anything. think that would help him if he really wants to compete with svb, corey, morris etc as one of the USAs best

one trick pony? i'm not saying he's a banks or one pocket player, but he's played in the maryland 14.1 the past two years, and he played in the world 14.1 this year. pretty sure he played last year as well, but i can't speak to that as fact. he and corey also just played efren and busty in an 8 ball challenge match. to call him a one trick pony seems a bit off base.

RBC

Deceased
I've known Mike for many years.

I've seen the good times and the bad.

I've seen him overcome tremendous obstacles. Ones that I couldn't fathom dealing with. To be so much in the public eye while still as young as he is a very difficult thing.

When we sat down with him earlier this year at the SBE, I was very impressed with him. His perspective of pool, himself, and how he fits into it is very refreshing. So much so that we decided to bring Mike on board and are very happy to have him on our team.

Something about pool that's difficult to see or realize if you're not "in the biz" so to speak, is that information travels and gets around very slowly. Many of the things talked about here on AZ are often based on situations or occurrences that happened months if not years ago. A lot of things can change, especially people, before the old news fades away. It's just the way the pool world works.

Mike is still a young man with many years ahead of him. I'm looking forward to watching him continue to learn and grow as a friend and as part of our team.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i thought he play with a predator sports.

But it looks like he is playing with a break cue in this clip?

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Well it really doesn't matter what you think ,I've seen Mikes bad behavior and maybe you don't care if he acts like a ass while representing the USA , apparently Mark feels the same ,, ....

yes it's happened in the past w/ MD. it's also happened in the past w/ SVB - 2 yrs ago @ BCA, we watched ringside when Shane whacked his cue THREE separate times, on the camera table. we couldn't believe he didn't break it. it's the most expressive i've ever seen Shane. and so what?

that same tourney, we met Mike. yes he was jacked-up after losing, so i bought him a drink (cause i was @ the front of the line & none of the league players in line knew who he was). he chilled instantly. we chatted. good conversation w/ him & his girlfriend. and so what?

it's pool!

i wish that MD & SVB would bury whatever hatchet, so that Mark Wilson could add Mike to this year's MC roster.

RBC

Deceased

Well, I guess you've made my point for me. No matter how many threads there are about it, or how many press releases go out, the news in the pool world just travels very slow. I'm sure there are many videos out there that show players when they were playing with different equipment. That doesn't mean it's current.

Mike signed with us earlier this year. Take a look at our OB Pro's page on our website.

http://www.obcues.com/pages/Team-OB.html

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i read somewhere that he has his ferrule colored black to help with sighting since he plays with the OB stacked wood ferrule. it'd be nice if we could get some verification on that from the ob guys. haha

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes it's happened in the past w/ MD. it's also happened in the past w/ SVB - 2 yrs ago @ BCA, we watched ringside when Shane whacked his cue THREE separate times, on the camera table. we couldn't believe he didn't break it. it's the most expressive i've ever seen Shane. and so what?

that same tourney, we met Mike. yes he was jacked-up after losing, so i bought him a drink (cause i was @ the front of the line & none of the league players in line knew who he was). he chilled instantly. we chatted. good conversation w/ him & his girlfriend. and so what?

it's pool!

i wish that MD & SVB would bury whatever hatchet, so that Mark Wilson could add Mike to this year's MC roster.

People would consider that a rare happening for Shane ,, business as usual for Mike ,,
So your suggesting that Mark replace one of the players chosen with Mike ,,no way on earth that should happen ,, he choose his group and left many of the team that's the way the cookie crumbles

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
People would consider that a rare happening for Shane ,, business as usual for Mike ,,
So your suggesting that Mark replace one of the players chosen with Mike ,,no way on earth that should happen ,, he choose his group and left many of the team that's the way the cookie crumbles

i'm suggesting that Mike was one of Mark's top 3 initial picks for Mosconi.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
i read somewhere that he has his ferrule colored black to help with sighting since he plays with the OB stacked wood ferrule. it'd be nice if we could get some verification on that from the ob guys. haha

Mike does play with an OB-1 shaft and did color the wood of the ferrule in with a black sharpie as he said he prefers the look of the ferrule colored black. Other than him coloring the ferrule, his OB-1 is completely stock and is the same shaft that anyone can buy from us or any of our dealers.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Well it really doesn't matter what you think ,I've seen Mikes bad behavior and maybe you don't care if he acts like a ass while representing the USA , apparently Mark feels the same ,, I tip my hat to the guy
Admitting you have a problem and correcting it are far from the same people will let up when he's proven he can act accordingly on a regular basis ,, and he's yet to prove that
End of Story

Well I doesn't matter what you think either as far as I'm concerned but you're entitled to your opinion just as I'm entitled to mine. Mikes a great guy & a phenomenal player & your opinion doesn't change that.