Is the USBTC like a Pro Am Golf Tournament?

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
OK, I'd bring this up in Ozzy's podcast thread but it's not really a question as much as it is just a stream of consciousness about pool tournaments and professional pool.

To me, it seems like there are two major groups fighting it out over what makes a good or even successful pool tournament or even what is 'good for pool'.

Group #1
- Large Tables (9' or 10')
- Tight Pockets
- Longer Races
- More Action

Group #2
- Bar Tables
- More Dead Money (aka Amateurs)
- Shorter Races
- Larger venue, expo, etc.

I understand the desire for more difficult conditions for "professional tournaments". In golf, people expect the fairways and greens at the U.S. Open or the Masters to be brutal. It really pushes the professionals to play razor sharp. I am guessing it is similar for pool.

However, golf also has Pro Am events where things are much more relaxed, the conditions are more forgiving and amateurs get a chance to rub elbows with a professional. Yes, the pro golfers drive the greens with ease and one or two put almost every green because the conditions are that much easier but everyone just expects that. Some pros participate to help build a fan base, others because of sponsor pressure and a few just for one more pay day on an otherwise brutal tour schedule. I don't think I have ever heard a professional golfer state that Pro Am events are "watering down" golf and no one expects a Pro Am golf tournament to be setup with conditions like Augusta.

Personally, I don't mind being Dead Money if it gives me the chance to play in a big tournament venue at the same time as some of the best in the world. (note: currently SVB, Shaw, Saez and others are signed up) And although my home table is 9' and the tables I play on in leagues are mostly 9' tables I'm glad that the tables in Reno might be a little more forgiving. I'd rather have forgiving conditions than wait 6 hours between matches.

If Pro Am golf tournaments don't undermine professional golf then why do events like the ones CSI puts on undermine professional pool? So what if the pros pattern rack, soft break and some matches were decided by the lag? Does that really threaten professional pool all that much?

OK, I'm done. Flame away!

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
OK, I'd bring this up in Ozzy's podcast thread but it's not really a question as much as it is just a stream of consciousness about pool tournaments and professional pool.

To me, it seems like there are two major groups fighting it out over what makes a good or even successful pool tournament or even what is 'good for pool'.

Group #1
- Large Tables (9' or 10')
- Tight Pockets
- Longer Races
- More Action

Group #2
- Bar Tables
- More Dead Money (aka Amateurs)
- Shorter Races
- Larger venue, expo, etc.

I understand the desire for more difficult conditions for "professional tournaments". In golf, people expect the fairways and greens at the U.S. Open or the Masters to be brutal. It really pushes the professionals to play razor sharp. I am guessing it is similar for pool.

However, golf also has Pro Am events where things are much more relaxed, the conditions are more forgiving and amateurs get a chance to rub elbows with a professional. Yes, the pro golfers drive the greens with ease and one or two put almost every green because the conditions are that much easier but everyone just expects that. Some pros participate to help build a fan base, others because of sponsor pressure and a few just for one more pay day on an otherwise brutal tour schedule. I don't think I have ever heard a professional golfer state that Pro Am events are "watering down" golf and no one expects a Pro Am golf tournament to be setup with conditions like Augusta.

Personally, I don't mind being Dead Money if it gives me the chance to play in a big tournament venue at the same time as some of the best in the world. (note: currently SVB, Shaw, Saez and others are signed up) And although my home table is 9' and the tables I play on in leagues are mostly 9' tables I'm glad that the tables in Reno might be a little more forgiving. I'd rather have forgiving conditions than wait 6 hours between matches.

If Pro Am golf tournaments don't undermine professional golf then why do events like the ones CSI puts on undermine professional pool? So what if the pros pattern rack, soft break and some matches were decided by the lag? Does that really threaten professional pool all that much?

OK, I'm done. Flame away!

Not a good analogy. Pro-am golf tournaments are usually charity events before the "real" tournament. You don't have Tiger Woods and Rory McEllroy fighting for FedEx Cup points next to Average Joe Golfer who is just giddy that he's playing with the pros.

FWIW, I don't know anything about these groups you mention and didn't know there was any controversy. I also don't care.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Not a good analogy. Pro-am golf tournaments are usually charity events before the "real" tournament. You don't have Tiger Woods and Rory McEllroy fighting for FedEx Cup points next to Average Joe Golfer who is just giddy that he's playing with the pros.

FWIW, I don't know anything about these groups you mention and didn't know there was any controversy. I also don't care.

I agree that it's a stretch. I have frequently said that running events such as destination marathons are a better analogy, where you have a huge number of runners and very few professionals that have any real chance at winning. They involve a huge number of "dead money" participants who are basically funding the event and really have no illusions about placing.

I guess the point was that there could be a distinction between serious professional events and those intended for larger venues and larger numbers of participants who really don't harbor illusions about finishing in the money.

There have been other threads were people have complained about tournaments being on bar tables instead of 9' tables with tighter pockets. The issue being that professionals will just pattern rack and soft break creating a situation where there is little distinction between players at that level.