Piloted Ivory Joint or Flat Faced Ivory Joint

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is not ONE joint configuration that is better than another IMO. I have, and have had, cues with every joint configuration and combination you can imagine.

I have played with them all and once the shaft seats on to the joint it is near impossible to tell one from the other blindfolded.

I would ask the cuemaker that is building your cue what he prefers on his cues, and that is what I would go with.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
There is not ONE joint configuration that is better than another IMO. I have, and have had, cues with every joint configuration and combination you can imagine.

I have played with them all and once the shaft seats on to the joint it is near impossible to tell one from the other blindfolded.

I would ask the cuemaker that is building your cue what he prefers on his cues, and that is what I would go with.

Impossible?... I must be very special :wink:..... I can tell the difference between a piloted shaft setup for a compression fit in a piloted joint from a shaft not setup for a compression fit.. I think you would be able to as well...

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Flat faced big pin

Here is my Star City cue. I've always loved radial pins. I have found that they give me the feedback that I like. Some people say that blindfolded you can't tell the difference from cue to cue. I'd like to think I could, but I haven't tried.

I had Al put an ivory joint on my cue on a whim and I'm really glad I did. Feedback for days. I'm not saying that flat faced ivory with a big pin is the Holy Grail, but it is for me. I would be very interested in trying one of the piloted ivory joints that Mottey does thhough

image.jpg

Ben

ironchef.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love ivory joints period. And why? Personal preference. Like most others have said here, if you get the chance, try a bunch of cues and see what you like. I've always like the hit flat-faced big pin wood to wood joints and made the progression with a flat-face ivory joint.

But I will echo what @skins mentioned early, Tascarella's piloted ivory joint with metal sleeve has a very unique and distinct hit all it's own and I'm hooked. I have other piloted ivory joint cues from other makers and Tascarella is at a level all to himself. With that said, I still like my other cues with ivory joints.

Metal joints have never hit well for me but they play and hit well for others and people swear by them. To each his/her own and good luck with the cue build!

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
I would have Frey do this joint pin with a ivory joint.

Attachments

• 20140425_183051.jpg
    20140425_183051.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 122

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will never ever have another wood to wood jointed cue. I have had three and everyone of them was always coming loose. Give me that stainless steel joint every time from now on out.

r/DCP