Korr beats Ko 1st Round

solid C player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In your eyes he was, plenty of people felt Ko was the favorite in Vegas. He played his B game & still won comfortably at the end.

Let your obsession with Shane cloud your judgement & reality all you want. I am sure you & him can enjoy your world championships together.

it is laughable reading the ko and svb nutthuggers fight like children about who is a better player. it is a neverending cycle of BS.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Seriously you are the biggest idiot on this forum (and that is saying a lot!) if you truly believe Shane is a betting favorite in any race against any player in the world.

Keep going off of your "opinion" instead of actual results like how he can't seem to beat Ko regardless of the race.

I think that it depends on the circumstances.

In a long race to 100 Shane should be the betting favorite against anyone. In a shorter race it gets closer to even. Also conditions and rules used play a part.

I think Shane wins against Ko in a long race in the TAR format.

The 9 BALL WPC was Ko getting the best of the rolls and nothing else.

Vegas was Shane flat out dogging it at the end.

I think to see how the professional bookmakers in England see it we should look at what they had for the SVB/KO finals at the WPC.

As for this match, Karen has proven time and again that she is a top player to be reckoned with. Will she win the US Open? Probably not but she can win the US Open.

She is one great player among a lot of great players. What this result shows is that Karen is fully capable of hanging with the best in the world (many of knew that) but it certainly doesn't mean she is the best in the world obviously.

We can still celebrate this victory just as we would celebrate any "underdog" who manages to take a set off a champion.

As for Ko......all he has to do is find backers willing to put up $20,000+ to play Shane a race to 100 TAR format. Shane's money is always ready to do that against ANY player on the planet no matter who they are.

Surely someone in Taiwan can make that happen?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that might be the dumbest reply since the last dumb reply as it pertains to variance.

Look at it this way, Ko is a favorite over Corr in ANY length race, but how much of a favorite depends on the length of the race. In a race to 3, Ko might be only a -140 favorite, in a race to 7 it goes to -200, race to 11 -350, race to 50 -1500, etc...etc...

Using Fargo ratings, here's how it breaks down.
Corr's predicted chance of beating Ko:

One game: 36%
Race to 7: 14%
Race to 11: 9%
Race to 21: 3%
Race to 30: 1%
Race to 50: 0.2%

That's just using a per-game 36% chance and basic probability.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will Corr beat Shaw? That would be an awesome thing to see.

Scotland vs Ireland. Instead of playing each other they should just get together and beat up English Boyes. If there's anything Americans, Scots, and the Irish can agree on, it's that we all hate the English.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane was the betting favorite in every single match against KO and he is the betting favorite against any other player in the world. FACT
Yes he is, even if people don't like it. I don't care who Shane plays, nobody will bet against him without a handicap. And for good reason.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Using Fargo ratings, here's how it breaks down.
Corr's predicted chance of beating Ko:

One game: 36%
Race to 7: 14%
Race to 11: 9%
Race to 21: 3%
Race to 30: 1%
Race to 50: 0.2%

That's just using a per-game 36% chance and basic probability.

exactly. I just used approx. random odds in those race scenarios, but this explains it perfectly. She has a greater chance the shorter the race, which explains variance in a nutshell.

Last edited:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Yes he is, even if people don't like it. I don't care who Shane plays, nobody will bet against him without a handicap. And for good reason.

exactly. It doesn't mean he isn't going to lose every so often, all favorites do, especially in the upper echelon of any sport because the level of play is so close. However, he IS the favorite against anyone right now or over the past 2 years.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
exactly. It doesn't mean he isn't going to lose every so often, all favorites do, especially in the upper echelon of any sport because the level of play is so close. However, he IS the favorite against anyone right now or over the past 2 years.
The action room has Shane giving 3 games to "ROBERTO GOMEZ" Can you even imagine RG needing 1 game let alone 3?

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
The action room has Shane giving 3 games to "ROBERTO GOMEZ" Can you even imagine RG needing 1 game let alone 3?

I know, lol. A pinoy champion getting 3 games on the wire in a race to 11, lol. And these guys think anyone else is going to be the betting favorite over Shane, smh.

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel just sent Little Ko to the losers' bracket. Both Ko brothers are now on the B side.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, would you put Karen as one of the top 100 players in the world today? That is a serious question. I'm pretty sure back in the day she would have made the list, but in 2015...I'm not so sure about that.

If a player like Shane Winters or Hillbilly beat Ko, there would be just as much of an uproar, I believe. Both are great players but to best the current double world champ in the first round is definitely news worthy.

Either way, congrats to Karen and I hope she doesn't stop there.

Top 100? No, that would be an insult to Karen. Her skills right now are extremely high. These days she is playing better and mentally tougher than I've ever seen her play and tough enough to beat any player.

I've witnessed it first-hand. She is playing what I would call scary-good pool.