VNEA Jumping rule or any other ruleset for that matter

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night is the first time I've seen this and I question the legality of it because I feel it may fall into the "Misuse of equipment" rule. If you are going for a jump but need to bridge higher than normal is it legal to take your shooting cue, place it butt down on the table with the rest of the cue resting towards your shoulder and use it to stablelize what would normally be an air bridge to make a jump easier. I've never seen it done before but if it is legal it would sure help. :)

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used the butt end as a support for a shaft jump shot before using the shaft only was illegal. This was in the early 90's.

I can see where using another cue this way would not be allowed. However, what if the bridge stick was used instead? It's intended use is a bridge.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some leagues allow the use of 2 bridges, but I never heard of the situation you are asking about.

It does not sound legal. :)

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any others know of a rule in place? I wish there was a way to tag Jay on here as he might know lol. I'm really curious because after trying it this way it would be a nice tool to have in the bag rather than using an "air bridge."

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used the butt end as a support for a shaft jump shot before using the shaft only was illegal. This was in the early 90's.

I can see where using another cue this way would not be allowed. However, what if the bridge stick was used instead? It's intended use is a bridge.

I wonder if you're the one that showed the kid that showed me yesterday. :) I've never seen it done before but if it's legal I can see where it would come in handy.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still going with improper use of equipment as you are probably not going find a rule that specifically says you can't use a cue stick as a support for high bridge shoots as that would be implied with the improper use of equipment.

Reason: The playing cue is for shooting the cue ball with a legal forward stroke. There is no other purpose of it and it can be used to break, jump or with a bridge which is specifically designed and mention in the rules for the purpose of replacing the bridge hand. A shooting cue is not a bridge, support or leveler and no where in the rules does it say it can be. Using it beyond it's intended purpose of shooting the cue ball would equate it to be improper use.

Last edited:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still going with improper use of equipment as you are probably not going find a rule that specifically says you can't use a cue stick as a support for high bridge shoots as that would be implied with the improper use of equipment.

Reason: The playing cue is for shooting the cue ball with a legal forward stroke. There is no other purpose of it and it can be used to break, jump or with a bridge which is specifically designed and mention in the rules for the purpose of replacing the bridge hand. A shooting cue is not a bridge, support or leveler and no where in the rules does it say it can be. Using it beyond it's intended purpose of shooting the cue ball would equate it to be improper use.

I tend to agree but that makes me wonder what if you used the mechanical bridge? I did post a picture of what I was talking about on Facebook and had someone say they are pretty sure it would be a foul in most rulesets also but I can't find a sure answer and I have to assume someone has tried it at some point or other.

On a side note it makes it super easy to show someone how to jump. It creates a good form for darting and although unless you are using an airstroke you aren't ever going to be that high over the cb it shows them the correct spot to hit it and makes jumping way easier to start. I showed a buddy in just a few minutes using that method and you are high enough for even a beginner to not have to worry about driving their cue into the table.

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would be a foul under CSI/BCAPL Rules. It is using equipment for other than it was intended.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to agree but that makes me wonder what if you used the mechanical bridge?

Maybe, but I am pretty sure the rules clarify the bridge and how it is to be used (as a replacement to the hand bridge). Using it to support the bridge hand is not within the scope of it's use in the rules.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night is the first time I've seen this and I question the legality of it because I feel it may fall into the "Misuse of equipment" rule. If you are going for a jump but need to bridge higher than normal is it legal to take your shooting cue, place it butt down on the table with the rest of the cue resting towards your shoulder and use it to stablelize what would normally be an air bridge to make a jump easier. I've never seen it done before but if it is legal it would sure help. :)

You can't use the cue to prop up you bridge but you can use the rake to elevate for a jump shot. You can't elevate your bridge hand on anything aside from the rail (say using chalk to lift it up).

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if this applies to regular league or not. But at the 2015 VNEA championship in Vegas they had a rule in place that stated: Devices are not allowed for jump shots. Anything other than your bridge hand could be considered a device. This rule is listed on the first page of the 2016 Tournament details flyer out on the VNEA website. http://www.vnea.com/Default.aspx?pageid=318

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would be a foul under CSI/BCAPL Rules. It is using equipment for other than it was intended.

More specifically, it is a direct violation of CSI Rule 1-3-1-e. No need to rely on the vagueness of the second sentence of CSI Rule 1-1.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all the replies and there is no way I will try this in league or a tournament. That being said it made it super easy for me to show someone that has never jumped before an easy way to do it without any chance of them driving into the table and showing where to hit the cb.

Everyone have a great holiday!!