getting to where i really hate 9 ball

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I friggin hate the slop in 9 ball. Now it may seem strange coming from some onw who is known as a staunch supporter of spa..yea I know there is slop in apa 8 ball also but you really don't see much slop playing 8 ball except lower levels.

No one is fool enough to hit anything at warp speed i. Due fo the possibility of an early 8.

9 ball is different though. When most people get in a tight they smack the object ball at warp speed and something usually falls and they are good on the next ball and I they Int you are locked up tighter than ft. Knox.

It's realm frustrating to see a 5 run 4-5 balls...get outa position and them luck one in or hook you.

It realm gets me outa my game to where I can't even make a ball when I should.

I play better and have a higher win percentage against 7's and above than I do against 5's who resort to slop.

Take tonight for example.

Played another 5 in 9 ball and low 38-31. He slopped about 8 In. I got so upset I missed one time with bih.damn !

A half I play the same guy 8 ball and I shut him out 4-0.mainly because he can't sma k anything at warp speed when he gets outa position for fear of an early 8.

Yea I know I need more mental toughness when faced with that crap but easier said than done.

Happens to me all the time, just part of the game. It happens less frequently now than what it did. As the higher skilled player, you shouldn't give your opponent the opportunity to take control of the table. It is all about choosing the right shot on your turn and keeping control and forcing your opponent to play your game.

If the higher skilled player gives control to a lower level and they slop some in, its the higher ranked players fault anyway so they deserved that.

BTW, get out of APA. lol

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whilst what many are saying that the rolls will even out and you want your opponent shooting these wild shots is all true, things don't even out immediately. You can have a bad run for a while and as you're human, at some point it's likely going to down right piss you the F off. Nothing wrong with blowing off some steam.

Good luck and better rolls.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Not sure how much "advice" you should be giving any player as a 5.
That's all
Jason

Why is that, cuz we're less of a person because we're 5's?

Nowhere will you find lorider trying to tell anyone how to play pool. He might tell you his opinion on how to play league, or how to act as a person. Me too.

I've never known him to try and say he's an authority on playing pool. But sometimes people have experiences in life that apply.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whilst what many are saying that the rolls will even out and you want your opponent shooting these wild shots is all true, things don't even out immediately. You can have a bad run for a while and as you're human, at some point it's likely going to down right piss you the F off. Nothing wrong with blowing off some steam.

Good luck and better rolls.

My point exactly and truthfully I started this thread to vent a little after this weekend.

Over the last few weeks we have had playoff...tri cups and a last chance tourny this weekend in order to qualify for our Vegas qualifying tourny

During playoffs and tri cups I went undefeated never playing anyone under a 6 .oir team failed to qualify for either.

Yesterday in the last chance tourny I lost to another 5 by 3 points due to him sloping in at 25% of his points . Yes it pissed me the f off as you stated.i have faced the same scenario several times before and I never really bothered me like this because this time it knocked my team out of the city qualifier coming up next week.

After leaving there I went to masters league.

Right after it was over our double jeapordy league started..i them faced another 5 who I Los to cue to slop again and.it realm affected my
shooting and yea I know I gotta quit being a baby and toughen up.

I then faced the same player in 8 ball where he could not slam most of his shots at warp speed ...hoping something fell and i won 4-0..being pissed off probably helped me to shut him out lol.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I friggin hate the slop in 9 ball. Now it may seem strange coming from some onw who is known as a staunch supporter of spa..yea I know there is slop in apa 8 ball also but you really don't see much slop playing 8 ball except lower levels.

No one is fool enough to hit anything at warp speed i. Due fo the possibility of an early 8.

9 ball is different though. When most people get in a tight they smack the object ball at warp speed and something usually falls and they are good on the next ball and I they Int you are locked up tighter than ft. Knox.

It's realm frustrating to see a 5 run 4-5 balls...get outa position and them luck one in or hook you.

I play better and have a higher win percentage against 7's and above than I do against 5's who resort to slop.

Played another 5 in 9 ball and low 38-31. He slopped about 8 In. I got so upset I missed one time with bih.damn !

A half I play the same guy 8 ball and I shut him out 4-0.mainly because he can't sma k anything at warp speed when he gets outa position for fear of an early 8.

Yea I know I need more mental toughness when faced with that crap but easier said than done.
You said it yourself, you need more mental toughness.
That is no reason to hate the game, however. You know the rules going in.
The circumstances and rules surrounding league play don't make it easier, but if you really hate dealing with slop don't play the game.

I play in a 9b tourney with short races to 5/3, and the TD demands that the 9b is called, otherwise it is spotted. It does not even count on the break, which we all love. Most of the players are well above-average. Two of them have finished 1 and 2 in previous Open events at SBE, so it is a tough field in most respects.

Good luck with your mental game, that is usually the hardest part for all of us.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
It is 9 Ball, deal with it or don't play it (IMO).

Dave

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member

It was easy for me,,,, I was an 8-9 in spa and I used to 17-3 and 18-2 all the lower handicaps! I used my one pocket knowledge, I would safe the craps out of them and only take shots I knew I was 99.9% making!

It was tough at first, but it became amusing to me listening to how good they play before the match started and then hear them how "scared" I play!

I just told them nicely that I'm trying to win:)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Then let me rephrase.

At what point should the participants of AZB be "allowed" to talk about something?

Knowledge, like gold, is where you find it.
A great player learns from everybody.

...and if the people who say "What do you know? You're a five." took their own advice...
...they would have to stfu unless they are the best player that ever lived.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Knowledge, like gold, is where you find it.
A great player learns from everybody.

...and if the people who say "What do you know? You're a five." took their own advice...
...they would have to stfu unless they are the best player that ever lived.

We all have things we can share.

I agree with the thought that someone of my ability really ought not be telling someone of a higher ability what they are doing wrong or such, especially if its done in a certain manner. Pretty sure I know where my knowledge ends, and I expect lorider does, too.

Hell, I'm not terribly comfortable telling less experienced players what to do, so I try and start by saying "this is how it's been explained to me, there might very well be another, better way This is what I know...."

Just yesterday a girl that plays on my teams. SL3, was playing in the same tourney that I was. She came over to me after she won a particular match, all giggly about the shot she had made. It appears that my little explanation about the tangent line and frozen object balls worked out just fine :) The great thing is that she recognized it on her own.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how much "advice" you should be giving any player as a 5.
That's all
Jason

I was an 8 when I left league, which I highly recommend not playing APA, no league, but if you want to i encourage you to look at TAP, UPA and BCA as opposed to APA.
Anyways back to the story, 2 minds are better than one, I even told my 2's if you see something, feel free to call a time out, your perspective as a spectator is different than mine at the table. I learn more playing lower ranked players than i do players at my speed or higher, it's all about what to pay attention to.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was an 8 when I left league, which I highly recommend not playing APA, no league, but if you want to i encourage you to look at TAP, UPA and BCA as opposed to APA.
Anyways back to the story, 2 minds are better than one, I even told my 2's if you see something, feel free to call a time out, your perspective as a spectator is different than mine at the table. I learn more playing lower ranked players than i do players at my speed or higher, it's all about what to pay attention to.

Not for nothing but you're pretty good at offering advice to players you do not know. For the record I have played Jasonlaus and he can beat anyone including pros if he is on his game and gets a few rolls. He shoots lights out on a 10 foot table with 4 1/4 pockets that he practices on. There is a good chance he was running racks before you ever jumped a ball.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Quit the leagues and play in the pool halls. Find sparring partners. Find gambling partners. Find local weekly tournaments. Find the top local players and play them even sets for cheapish.

They you will see what real 9 ball is about.

I would think playing at pool halls would be popular, the problem is pool halls are no longer popular, they can be down right tough to find. When I do go to the nearest pool hall I see mostly young adults and couples playing off the wall with little to no ability. Its almost as tough to find a serious player as it is to find a pool hall.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would think playing at pool halls would be popular, the problem is pool halls are no longer popular, they can be down right tough to find. When I do go to the nearest pool hall I see mostly young adults and couples playing off the wall with little to no ability. Its almost as tough to find a serious player as it is to find a pool hall.

From what I gather from this site, it is very difficult finding a good room with good 9 footers throughout most our nation. The midwest and southwest seem to be all bars with 7 footers. It's a shame. Where I live, in the northeast we are fortunate to have many great rooms with great equipment. Not like it used to be but there are good poolrooms around still and you can still find players. I think it's the same on the west coast too from what I gather.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Why is that, cuz we're less of a person because we're 5's?

Nowhere will you find lorider trying to tell anyone how to play pool. He might tell you his opinion on how to play league, or how to act as a person. Me too.

I've never known him to try and say he's an authority on playing pool. But sometimes people have experiences in life that apply.

The point is/was they play in a Masters league - hopefully the other teammates that play much better would be giving the advise. However, the 5 giving the advice may be correct and just doesn't "execute" properly.

Guess my previous post sounded offensive, it definitely coulda been worded better.

Jason