getting to where i really hate 9 ball

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I learned a lot from a player who most would classify as an average player. He was a good player, but not elite by any means. He pounded into my head the importance of breathing while competing. That is, proper breathing results in better thinking, whereas shallow breathing only makes things worse when you are nervous.

I don't know the science of it all, but it seems to work for me!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The point is/was they play in a Masters league - hopefully the other teammates that play much better would be giving the advise. However, the 5 giving the advice may be correct and just doesn't "execute" properly.

Guess my previous post sounded offensive, it definitely coulda been worded better.

Jason

Gotcha :p

And agreed

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not for nothing but you're pretty good at offering advice to players you do not know. For the record I have played Jasonlaus and he can beat anyone including pros if he is on his game and gets a few rolls. He shoots lights out on a 10 foot table with 4 1/4 pockets that he practices on. There is a good chance he was running racks before you ever jumped a ball.

That wasn't advice pal, that was an opinion. Doesn't matter who you can beat or what speed you play, there is always room to improve, so a 5 that gives out his advice is just as relevant as an open player giving his advice.

My advice is learn how to filter the advice that everyone gives you and take in what improves your game and throw out the stupid advice. Not everyone plays the same.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That wasn't advice pal, that was an opinion. Doesn't matter who you can beat or what speed you play, there is always room to improve, so a 5 that gives out his advice is just as relevant as an open player giving his advice.

My advice is learn how to filter the advice that everyone gives you and take in what improves your game and throw out the stupid advice. Not everyone plays the same.

Unsolicited advice is, well, unsolicited. But your good at it. Read the start of your last paragraph. If people don't ask should it be given? Where I play it is not very welcome but obviously you play elsewhere. Enjoy your game.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unsolicited advice is, well, unsolicited. But your good at it. Read the start of your last paragraph. If people don't ask should it be given? Where I play it is not very welcome but obviously you play elsewhere. Enjoy your game.

You sure did rush in to protect your boyfriend. But he was calling out someone for being a 5 and giving advice, I was imply saying 2 minds are better than 1 and it is a different perspective. But thanks for the humor.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Not for nothing but you're pretty good at offering advice to players you do not know. For the record I have played Jasonlaus and he can beat anyone including pros if he is on his game and gets a few rolls. He shoots lights out on a 10 foot table with 4 1/4 pockets that he practices on. There is a good chance he was running racks before you ever jumped a ball.

I might be up early Saturday depending on my gf's work schedule. Will have to leave around 3 though.
Will let you know

Jason

Whoever was posting this:
Sometimes 2 heads are not better than 1. But as I said the 5 has probably seen a lot of "correct" shots and just can't execute.
I'm not sure some really understand the difference between a 5 and a 7 in terms of ability and usually knowledge - it's alot bigger than most think
Jason

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I might be up early Saturday depending on my gf's work schedule. Will have to leave around 3 though.
Will let you know

Jason

Whoever was posting this:
Sometimes 2 heads are not better than 1. But as I said the 5 has probably seen a lot of "correct" shots and just can't execute.
I'm not sure some really understand the difference between a 5 and a 7 in terms of ability and usually knowledge - it's alot bigger than most think
Jason

The smart 5 will ask the 7 (or better) "did you intend to" {do whatever it is that he thinks isn't right} "at least that's the way I saw it, and wanted to learn why you would do that?"

:p

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You sure did rush in to protect your boyfriend. But he was calling out someone for being a 5 and giving advice, I was imply saying 2 minds are better than 1 and it is a different perspective. But thanks for the humor.

You're right. He is a well respected friend of mine that I met through this site. He is a very well respected player by other well respected players. Yes, he plays that sort of speed and if he did not have a career, he does have the talent to be great. I always thought it humorous when a someone who is not an A player offers advice to someone who is. Believe me, for what it's worth, and I think possibly nothing, that if you are a B player, as you say you are, he sees things on the table that you can't imagine, just like a C player showing you the way around a table. But I am sure you would welcome that advice. Anyhow, back to the thread. I love 9 ball.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a weekly 9 ball tournament on a 9 foot GC.
I'm playing a guy 1 level above me in skill.
I managed to get it to hill hill.
Hes running out the final game and misses the 6 ball.
In a flash i see a puppy dog run out. I got him.
Not so fast, the 6 ball goes 2 rails and hits the 9 just hard enough to slop it in the opposite up table corner pocket.And just to torture me it hangs up for 2 seconds before dropping.
This drops me to 4th place and they paid 1st 2nd 3rd.:mad:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played in a weekly 9 ball tournament on a 9 foot GC.
I'm playing a guy 1 level above me in skill.
I managed to get it to hill hill.
Hes running out the final game and misses the 6 ball.
In a flash i see a puppy dog run out. I got him.
Not so fast, the 6 ball goes 2 rails and hits the 9 just hard enough to slop it in the opposite up table corner pocket.And just to torture me it hangs up for 2 seconds before dropping.
This drops me to 4th place and they paid 1st 2nd 3rd.:mad:

I feel your pain. A couple of weeks ago I am at hill hill. The 9 is hanging in the pocket and my opponent banks the 8. He misses his bank but it does go across the table and into the opposite side pocket. Nothing to do but say good match and walk away.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right. He is a well respected friend of mine that I met through this site. He is a very well respected player by other well respected players. Yes, he plays that sort of speed and if he did not have a career, he does have the talent to be great. I always thought it humorous when a someone who is not an A player offers advice to someone who is. Believe me, for what it's worth, and I think possibly nothing, that if you are a B player, as you say you are, he sees things on the table that you can't imagine, just like a C player showing you the way around a table. But I am sure you would welcome that advice. Anyhow, back to the thread. I love 9 ball.

I am sure he know's what I am talking about then. But I do recognize he is your respected friend and applaud you for standing up for him. Need to expand your views though, narrow minded views will only hinder progression.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am sure he know's what I am talking about then. But I do recognize he is your respected friend and applaud you for standing up for him. Need to expand your views though, narrow minded views will only hinder progression.

I appreciate you looking our for me even though I didn't ask for it. You must have a good heart helping strangers all of the time. If I have any questions about my game though I now know who to ask. Better yet I know some C players that can help me out...Shoot well.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit the leagues and play in the pool halls. Find sparring partners. Find gambling partners. Find local weekly tournaments. Find the top local players and play them even sets for cheapish.

They you will see what real 9 ball is about.

This.....
And get off the 7 foot tables.

If you gamble with better players they will be happy to play call shot/safe pool.

I really don't watch players shoot much, especially weaker ones. If a weak player gets lucky, usually with a big spot, it's the only way they can win. If a good player gets lucky, well that's pool. If a good player hooks me accidentally, I'm happy to be at the table cause if they made their ball they would probably be running out.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got home from work and read every ones posts.

First thing I want to say is I probably worded the title wrong. It's not so much the game I hate. I am getting to where I hate playing 9 ball against several guys who are a 5 like me and a couple of 6's I know due to the amount of slop shots they attempt.

I am not talking about the occasional bank across table and it comes back across fo fall in the opposite pocket.

I am talking about guys who shoot as good as me but have no idea what cue ball control is and never attempt a safe. When they get jn trouble they just smack the ball at warp speed hoping something....any thing falls. If they are left hard again they just smack at warp speed again.

I honestly dont think they are 5's or 6's based on their level of play. I think its based solely on their innings which they keep down due to the number of slop shots made in that match.

Like I said I play double jeopardy which is 8 ball and 9 ball the same night. I can't tell you how many times wound up just like last night. Lose 9 ball to a guy who slopped about 25% of his balls in and then beat him soundly in 8 ball like I shut that guy out 4-0 .

To those who gave advice about working on my mental toughness...yea I realize I need to do that...thanks.

Now on to the subject of this lowly 5 giving advice to a kid who is a 3.

As dub said....i have never come on here trying to tell anyone how to play. Thanks for the xsfenss dub. I have never got into any of the aiming debates...debated about squirt...swerve...cte...toi...back hand English or any of that other crap. I am smart enough to know what I dont know.

However...it was obvious to this here lowly 5 that this kid was sorely lacking in proper fundamentals.

He was standing up to straight....had a very short bridge and his cue was jacked up on every shot. A blind man could see he had major problems.

I asked what his handicap was and he said a 3. I replied and you are here playing masters ? He replied yea ..that he wanted to learn all he could about pool.

During the 3 rd rack he was stuck bad and I asked him if he wanted advice on how to make the 8 ball. He said sure he would love the advice. Well he made it and the lokm on his face was priceless.

After the match was over I politely asked him if he wanted some advice on what I saw wrong. I also told him there were more qualified people than me that could help him out more than I could though.

He said he would gladly take advice from me .

Without going into detail I gave him some pointers on his stance....bridge and stroke plus how to hold his cue.

All this info I passed onto him was stuff I learned from taking a lesson from Randy g.

We threw some balls on the table and had him start making routine shots plus son he picked out that he had trouble with during our match.

I also gave him some drills to work on which he was doing when I left.

He came up to me later after my double jeapordy league was over and thanked me a d said he saw some pretty good improvement already after 3 hours based on what j showed him.

As for the comment about his captain or higher level team mates teaching him ..well he plays with them on a handicapped team also.do you really think they want him going up from a 3?.b

Also....my experience has been ..no one wants to show some one else how to get better. I asked an 8 to play with me and teach a few things that I would gladly pay his tab and table time. His reply was...why? ...so you van beat mw worse than you do now.?

Yea I have beat him. I replied ...look at it this way. If I get better I will be raised and you wont ha e to spot me like you do now. He declined.

Also.asked a 9..ne would rather practice by him self with his ear phones on.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I just got home from work and read every ones posts.

First thing I want to say is I probably worded the title wrong. It's not so much the game I hate. I am getting to where I hate playing 9 ball against several guys who are a 5 like me and a couple of 6's I know due to the amount of slop shots they attempt.

I am not talking about the occasional bank across table and it comes back across fo fall in the opposite pocket.

I am talking about guys who shoot as good as me but have no idea what cue ball control is and never attempt a safe. When they get jn trouble they just smack the ball at warp speed hoping something....any thing falls. If they are left hard again they just smack at warp speed again.

I honestly dont think they are 5's or 6's based on their level of play. I think its based solely on their innings which they keep down due to the number of slop shots made in that match.

Like I said I play double jeopardy which is 8 ball and 9 ball the same night. I can't tell you how many times wound up just like last night. Lose 9 ball to a guy who slopped about 25% of his balls in and then beat him soundly in 8 ball like I shut that guy out 4-0 .

To those who gave advice about working on my mental toughness...yea I realize I need to do that...thanks.

Now on to the subject of this lowly 5 giving advice to a kid who is a 3.

As dub said....i have never come on here trying to tell anyone how to play. Thanks for the xsfenss dub. I have never got into any of the aiming debates...debated about squirt...swerve...cte...toi...back hand English or any of that other crap. I am smart enough to know what I dont know.

However...it was obvious to this here lowly 5 that this kid was sorely lacking in proper fundamentals.

He was standing up to straight....had a very short bridge and his cue was jacked up on every shot. A blind man could see he had major problems.

I asked what his handicap was and he said a 3. I replied and you are here playing masters ? He replied yea ..that he wanted to learn all he could about pool.

During the 3 rd rack he was stuck bad and I asked him if he wanted advice on how to make the 8 ball. He said sure he would love the advice. Well he made it and the lokm on his face was priceless.

After the match was over I politely asked him if he wanted some advice on what I saw wrong. I also told him there were more qualified people than me that could help him out more than I could though.

He said he would gladly take advice from me .

Without going into detail I gave him some pointers on his stance....bridge and stroke plus how to hold his cue.

All this info I passed onto him was stuff I learned from taking a lesson from Randy g.

We threw some balls on the table and had him start making routine shots plus son he picked out that he had trouble with during our match.

I also gave him some drills to work on which he was doing when I left.

He came up to me later after my double jeapordy league was over and thanked me a d said he saw some pretty good improvement already after 3 hours based on what j showed him.

As for the comment about his captain or higher level team mates teaching him ..well he plays with them on a handicapped team also.do you really think they want him going up from a 3?.b

Also....my experience has been ..no one wants to show some one else how to get better. I asked an 8 to play with me and teach a few things that I would gladly pay his tab and table time. His reply was...why? ...so you van beat mw worse than you do now.?

Yea I have beat him. I replied ...look at it this way. If I get better I will be raised and you wont ha e to spot me like you do now. He declined.

Also.asked a 9..ne would rather practice by him self with his ear phones on.

I've always showed anybody anything they wanted to know, including guys on the other team(before and after matches) and gambling.
What I don't enjoy doing is playing against them(usually) as I'm there to practice and want to be hitting balls every second Im there.
If I want to watch better players, that's what youtube, ppv, and eating at the poolroom/bar is for. Watch the best you can find, watch the guy with the same/similar stroke as you, AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLAY ON THE BIG TABLES!!!!!!! if you have one available.

My favorite drill for getting in stroke is placing the CB on the first diamond or before(1/2 diamond) about an inch or less off the long rail, then place the OB on the 2nd diamond(long rail) make OB in corner and draw CB back to end (head or foot) rail.
Each time you make the OB and draw the CB to end rail or close, move the OB a 1/2 diamond further down the rail(keeping CB in the same spot) until the OB is in the corner pocket and you have to draw the CB the length of the table after pocketing it.

This does 2 things, it gets your speed of the table down, and it also proves your stroke is straight.
The closer the OB is to the long rail the straighter your stroke has to be. Try keeping both balls the same distance off the rail, if you scratch it's fine, just try to get it to barely fall.
Jason

Btw, thank you for taking your time to help others and sorry I came across as a dick.

Jason<-------hates slop too! How hard would it be to simply change the rules to call pocket???????????
9 ball is not broken, the rules are

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always showed anybody anything they wanted to know, including guys on the other team(before and after matches) and gambling.
What I don't enjoy doing is playing against them(usually) as I'm there to practice and want to be hitting balls every second Im there.
If I want to watch better players, that's what youtube, ppv, and eating at the poolroom/bar is for. Watch the best you can find, watch the guy with the same/similar stroke as you, AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLAY ON THE BIG TABLES!!!!!!! if you have one available.

My favorite drill for getting in stroke is placing the CB on the first diamond or before(1/2 diamond) about an inch or less off the long rail, then place the OB on the 2nd diamond(long rail) make OB in corner and draw CB back to end (head or foot) rail.
Each time you make the OB and draw the CB to end rail or close, move the OB a 1/2 diamond further down the rail(keeping CB in the same spot) until the OB is in the corner pocket and you have to draw the CB the length of the table after pocketing it.

This does 2 things, it gets your speed of the table down, and it also proves your stroke is straight.
The closer the OB is to the long rail the straighter your stroke has to be. Try keeping both balls the same distance off the rail, if you scratch it's fine, just try to get it to barely fall.
Jason

Btw, thank you for taking your time to help others and sorry I came across as a dick.

Jason<-------hates slop too! How hard would it be to simply change the rules to call pocket???????????
9 ball is not broken, the rules are

Thanks for the tip on the drill.

I guess I am fortunate as we play on all types of tables which makes you a better overall player.

We play on crappy valleys...well kept valleys...diamond 7 footers and gold crowns..

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Thanks for the tip on the drill.

I guess I am fortunate as we play on all types of tables which makes you a better overall player.

We play on crappy valleys...well kept valleys...diamond 7 footers and gold crowns..

I believe heaven will be filled with gold crowns.....unfortunatley I wont be heading there. :)
Jason

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I am convinced that 9' Diamonds will.....I'm not sure what they will do, but oh my, do they keep everyone honest.

Played a tourney yesterday on them with many players FAR better than me.

Damn. A whole different world. And I've played on nothing but 9's since I started. Just not Diamonds. ....

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point exactly and truthfully I started this thread to vent a little after this weekend.

Over the last few weeks we have had playoff...tri cups and a last chance tourny this weekend in order to qualify for our Vegas qualifying tourny

During playoffs and tri cups I went undefeated never playing anyone under a 6 .oir team failed to qualify for either.

Yesterday in the last chance tourny I lost to another 5 by 3 points due to him sloping in at 25% of his points . Yes it pissed me the f off as you stated.i have faced the same scenario several times before and I never really bothered me like this because this time it knocked my team out of the city qualifier coming up next week.

After leaving there I went to masters league.

Right after it was over our double jeapordy league started..i them faced another 5 who I Los to cue to slop again and.it realm affected my
shooting and yea I know I gotta quit being a baby and toughen up.

I then faced the same player in 8 ball where he could not slam most of his shots at warp speed ...hoping something fell and i won 4-0..being pissed off probably helped me to shut him out lol.

Maybe you should focus on and review how YOU played. Is it possible that the fact that you were playing a 5 caused you to let up since they aren't as good as guys you beat? And that the reason you lost was not their slop but the chances you let slip away?

It is not at all uncommon in a lot of spots and games for players to "play down" to the level of their competition. You might be doing that. Or perhaps when you play a 5 you expect yourself to win and the added pressure of that expectation you put on yourself affects your shooting.

I'm just saying that you cannot do anything about their slop so you have to find the answer within yourself.