Silver Member
Here's my two Camels. :)

2d9qu74.jpg

2vlt9n5.jpg

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Pool balls

There is a American company that will make you just about what ever you want on a pool ball, inside of their capability of course' to many options..you could fill this thread with balls until you ran out of money or ideas!

Rob.M

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Rob. :)

That's very true, sir. There are at least two American companies to my knowledge, Epco and Ozone, who produce very decent billiard balls with personalised brands or logos.

Us collectors can prove rather a discerning breed I fear, however. Modern reproductions of older classics, aside from lacking the all important provenance, often don't quite match up in terms of quality or appearance either. And, of course, half the thrill of treasure hunting is in the chase! :)

Best wishes,
RC.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I'm loving this thread. Just purchased my first set the other day and am already getting the itch for another. I don't have a very good knowledge of pricing and rarity yet though.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set like the one pictured below. There are several sets on eBay.

This one is priced around the $500 mark but also has the "make an offer" function enabled.

Any idea of what a fair price for these might be?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vin...hash=item2c62a3fd71:m:mgoutM-l68Imy7DpyylwD0w

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Here's my first set by the way. Can't wait for my table to get here in a few months!

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 635

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Brandon.

Ah, you have the pool ball collecting bug, sir, there's no going back now I'm afraid. :)

That's a lovely set you've posted up, older than any in my own collection. Would they be bakelite? They seem to have the same rich, bright lustre to my eye. I'm not really qualified to appraise the value of anything pre 1970, my expertise lies elsewhere, but I'm sure a few of the regulars will pop in later to offer some sound advice.

Welcome aboard! :)

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Ah, the beautiful Aramith Tournaments TV edition. One of my all time favourite examples.

You have fine taste, sir.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Good evening, Brandon.

Ah, you have the pool ball collecting bug, sir, there's no going back now I'm afraid. :)

That's a lovely set you've posted up, older than any in my own collection. Would they be bakelite? They seem to have the same rich, bright lustre to my eye. I'm not really qualified to appraise the value of anything pre 1970, my expertise lies elsewhere, but I'm sure a few of the regulars will pop in later to offer some sound advice.

Welcome aboard! :)

Thanks! And sorry.. I went back and added a link to the eBay item which lists all the details about the set.

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vin...hash=item2c62a3fd71:m:mgoutM-l68Imy7DpyylwD0w

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my first set by the way. Can't wait for my table to get here in a few months!

Beautiful 1st choice with the TV Tourneys, branpureza.... something different yet latest technology. I love those myself.

As for your previous post regarding the older Hyatt Fancy O's, that $500 set is about right for THAT set which is about as close to perfect condition as I think you'll find. That gentleman has quite a few of those O's in varying states of greatness with some priced as low (relatively that is) as $350. I have a set myself and I do play mine occasionally for the step-back in time experience but beware they are from a different period of manufacturing and will not wear or clean up like balls of the last 40 years. Consider them somewhat on the sensitive and even fragile side and play accordingly. I have the perspective of playing them as if I walked into a poolroom 50 years ago and were handed these for a few racks of straight pool and rack em up! They were meant to be played and will show surface crazing and impact marks but with diligent love and care, they will look beautiful while playing and sounding unique for many years. Of course they'll look NEW for generations if you shelf them for display and appreciation only.

I may have to get another set myself....

Thanks for sharing your latest treasure, sir, and be sure to share any new acquisitions as well as any questions along the way. We are all here to help

It's not an addiction as long as you play with them all I say...

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Mr Bond.

That's a very nice pair, sir. Might I ask why they're on plinths? Were they some kind of trophy or presentation award?

Here's a photograph of one of many Jack Daniels balls in my collection. I believe this was one of the famous whiskey brand's earliest advertising forays into the billiard world, and still one of their best examples in my view.

kevmeo.jpg

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those particular elephant balls were sold individually, so the plinth you are seeing is just the bottom of the clear plastic box they were sold in. ( with the top removed)

The Elephant Balls company first produced these practice balls ( a cue ball and object ball) to help players physically see how the ball was reacting after it was shot.

20161025_143835~2.jpg

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice showings of balls, boys.

May I suggest a friendly game of "Blackball" Rubik's, using your splendid OLD No. 7 BALL along with 7 reds and 7 yellows - and to make the game enticing, let's have an encased bottle of Jack Daniels Sinatra Century be the prized possession we are after.....of course a drawn out race to 100 points would seem appropriate ---- and let's play using the rules of Point System Eight Ball shall we?

See what collecting balls does, folks? Gets one thinking of new ways to play the games....rack em, RC!

71f86ecd7498b727ced5eb35de2074c7.jpg

K.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
This funny little fellow is called " the gambler" and appears to be the 9ball in a currently unknown set.
( there is a blurb about him on the opposite side)

Any further info would be appreciated.

20161025_144959~2.jpg

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice showings of balls, boys.

May I suggest a friendly game of "Blackball" Rubik's, using your splendid OLD No. 7 BALL along with 7 reds and 7 yellows - and to make the game enticing, let's have an encased bottle of Jack Daniels Sinatra Century be the prized possession we are after.....of course a drawn out race to 100 points would seem appropriate ---- and let's play using the rules of Point System Eight Ball shall we?

See what collecting balls does, folks? Gets one thinking of new ways to play the games....rack em, RC!

71f86ecd7498b727ced5eb35de2074c7.jpg

K.

Bravo. I'm in.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some sensational sphere sharing, Mr Bond!

What can you tell us about the strange man's face on that 12 ball ;-) Is that part of a set or is there a more intriguing storyline?

Are your showings part of your personal collection or destined for the Museum, sir?

ONE of the quirky elements responsible for my own fascination and appreciation for the balls, is whenever I see a different design or unique billiard ball, is that a unique game and subsequent rule set must accompany that ball to validate its existence Your posted examples get me thinking of game names like Mad Hatter and the Game Of Greats....

K.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some sensational sphere sharing, Mr Bond!

What can you tell us about the strange man's face on that 12 ball ;-) Is that part of a set or is there a more intriguing storyline?

Are your showings part of your personal collection or destined for the Museum, sir?

Mosconi could have been a part of a set, I'm not sure, but I kinda doubt it.
I found the ball attached to a memorial plaque featuring Mosconi. There was a small round ball holder attached to the plaque with the ball inside. Perhaps there was a set of individual plaques featuring various pros at the time? But, I have not seen others like it, so I suppose I can't be sure.

I'm showing you a few of both mine and The Museum's holdings. Mine will all end up in the museum collection anyway lol

20161026_115457~2.jpg

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi could have been a part of a set, I'm not sure, but I kinda doubt it.
I found the ball attached to a memorial plaque featuring Mosconi. There was a small round ball holder attached to the plaque with the ball inside. Perhaps there was a set of individual plaques featuring various pros at the time? But, I have not seen others like it, so I suppose I can't be sure.

I'm showing you a few of both mine and The Museum's holdings. Mine will all end up in the museum collection anyway lol

View attachment 438501

I have a set that I picked up that was not a 'complete' set...but I purchased them because of that 'red' cue ball. Does it have a star on it also? I will post a picture when I have time.