installing simonis 860

cl206

Registered
Hi
When installing simonis 860, what size staples do you guys recommend?
I will be using arrow T50, so should I use 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8?

Also are the staples for the rails a different size than for the bed?
Thanks!
-Charlie

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am curious about this too. It seems like the original staples on my Gold Crown had a radius on top of them rather than a square head like an Arrow T50 staple. They were gold in color too for whatever that is worth and seemed to be a slightly smaller wire diameter.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi
When installing simonis 860, what size staples do you guys recommend?
I will be using arrow T50, so should I use 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8?

Also are the staples for the rails a different size than for the bed?
Thanks!
-Charlie

i usually just grab the t50 3/8 ones this way if the table is damaged where you staple it in, it holds, but honestly you can use whatever size you want that will hold tight. I wouldn't suggest 1/4 inch though. It really all depends on the wood you are going into more than anything. If its soft and torn up, you want to go a bit deeper. If its hard and not damaged, you don't have to go as deep to get the same strength. Hope this helps.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Staples

T-50 staples are not ideal.
You'll want a 20 gauge stapler.

T-50 is a no-no for many reasons.

Rob.M

cl206

Registered
Thats good to know! I actually called Simonis too and they told me 3/8. I will also look into a 20 ga then.
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it!
-Charlie

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thats good to know! I actually called Simonis too and they told me 3/8. I will also look into a 20 ga then.
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it!
-Charlie

Always use the shortest staples first, like 1/4" first. If they won't hold then step up to 5/16".

cl206

Registered
Always use the shortest staples first, like 1/4" first. If they won't hold then step up to 5/16".

Thanks Glen! BTW Im thinking about getting the arrow JT21 staples with a manual gun. I don't do this for a living (I do have a pancake compressor) but I don't really want to drive to Harbor Freight for that 20 gauge air tool! Unless the manual one is a PITA and then I might just get that one at HF.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
t50's...

T50s work great out of my 20gauge pneumatic stapler. I use 1/4" if the wood is in good shape :thumbup:

cl206

Registered
T50s work great out of my 20gauge pneumatic stapler. I use 1/4" if the wood is in good shape :thumbup:

You guys are great! Im actually picking up this table in NJ this Saturday and will take my time setting it up. I already got the rails (from when I first visited the seller). Hopefully I can do a good job and get the pics up here!

BTW just ordered yesterday from Seyberts simonis 860 tournament blue and it is supposed to be here on Friday. WTH! That is fast! I still gotta decide which stapler and staple to get. (My original plan was for the Arrow PT50 pneumatic gun with T50 staple) My wife works at Lowes and we got a deal this week yeah hence Im partial to Lowes and not HF

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
p.s. Stanley staples

The Stanley version of the t50 staples work great! I have had issues using the Arrow t50's out of my HF pneumatic stapler. I am VERY surprised how well such an affordable stapler works. I oil it every time I use it with my Rigid 6 gallon compressor and it does the job! :)

P.s. funny how things progress though, I am now moving towards using the glue down method. Installing my first 7' Diamond Pro Am this weekend!

Last edited:

cl206

Registered
The Stanley version of the t50 staples work great! I have had issues using the Arrow t50's out of my HF pneumatic stapler. I am VERY surprised how well such an affordable stapler works. I oil it every time I use it with my Rigid 6 gallon compressor and it does the job! :)

P.s. funny how things progress though, I am now moving towards using the glue down method. Installing my first 7' Diamond Pro Am this weekend!

Wow good luck! Im gonna just pick a staple and go with it lol
Charlie

cl206

Registered

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Staples are fine

The DVD's show the staple method. They are a one time investment and will help you get a solid result. They show you everything you need. A can of 3M 77 spray glue for the pockets. Beeswax or bondo for the slate seams and if you can get your hands on a Starrett 98-12" machinist level to level the slates, you will be all set. There is a leveling guide at the top of this forum that the Real King Cobra provided.

You seem like you are being thorough! Good luck.

Trent

cl206

Registered
DONE! Just ordered this morning from Seyberts and a few other items.

Wow just saw that the Starrett costs 200 bucks! Sorry I have to decline that for now lol!

Last edited:

cl206

Registered
Sorry that I'm late to the party... One of these will save you a lot of time:

Staple Puller

Or, from Amazon:

Staple Puller

Thanks Geoff! I actually used a small flathead screwdriver initially when I visited the seller to remove the staples off the pockets from the rails. Not too bad. However I recently bought this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-...river-with-Butyrate-Handle-20117749/204255269

I haven't tried it yet but it has got to be better that the screwdriver. I only got to remove the staples around the bed cloth now.

-Charlie

Last edited:

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DONE! Just ordered this morning from Seyberts and a few other items.

Wow just saw that the Starrett costs 200 bucks! Sorry I have to decline that for now lol!

You don't need the 12" model, You can use the 8" such as this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-98-...F8&qid=1480611005&sr=8-3&keywords=starrett+98

They are expensive especially if you are only doing one table. But imagine how much money you would spend if you got it all together just to figure out that you have to take it all apart again because your slates are not properly aligned or are unlevel and you have a serious ball roll.

cl206

Registered
You don't need the 12" model, You can use the 8" such as this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-98-...F8&qid=1480611005&sr=8-3&keywords=starrett+98

They are expensive especially if you are only doing one table. But imagine how much money you would spend if you got it all together just to figure out that you have to take it all apart again because your slates are not properly aligned or are unlevel and you have a serious ball roll.

Don't make me! I love buying new tools. I do car work on my own and am always looking for excuses for new tools. But for now, I will just use some levelers I have around the house and maybe just roll a few balls on the slate until it "appears" level too.

Besides if I have to do it again, it will just be another lesson/experience. I will get good at redoing it:D

Last edited: