Being the worst league player

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Signed up for league, found out I am the worst player with the most losses.

Is it worth it to play league, or should I just get a practice table by myself?

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
It all depends on why you're playing league.
If it's only to be the best...then yes...get a table by yourself and practice by yourself...probably for awhile.
If it's for socialization...then enjoy the time with friends.
If it's to improve your game...then learn what you can from those that are better at pool while you're playing in the league...

Just my thoughts...

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
I had to kill the worst member of my team once...but I can't really talk about it.

He was a 2. you're not a 2 are you?

objekt404

Registered
I'll slip in & just say it. Have fun, sink more balls, win more games, suck less, and failure is always an option! (These are the mottos for my team).

Otherwise JAMSGOLF said it best. I'm a 3 & team captain (my 6 co-captain was getting overwhelmed captaining 3 other APA or TAP teams). Listen to your team mates, try what they say, & show up early if you can to warm up or maybe practice with the houseboy/girl for $10-20/hr on fundamentals.

I was stuck as a 2 *forever*, but accused of sandbagging b/c I could run 4-5 balls a game & then either hook myself, hang one in the pocket, or scratch. With no traffic it was easy to run out against me. Ask to be put against higher players if the captain will allow, you'll learn from it. Always asked to play APA 4-7 as a 2; usually lost but snuck a couple of sets out here & there against 5s & 6s. Learn to play safe & two-way safes.

<edit> spelling

Last edited:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pick the next player on the bottom and try and get more wins! Practice and work on things and use the league as motivation, when you pass the bottom few work on getting to the middle of the standings etc. once you see some more wins, it gets very addicting!!!

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I decided to play in a league this year just for some friendly competition. Practicing alone is okay, especially now that I'm recording myself, but eventually I get the urge to play against people to see how I stack up.

Right now, I'm #5 in our league with about 100 guys. Playing random guys in the bars for money is also fun, but that usually only occurs about once a month.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

It's up too ones personal character. Often many expect getting better to happen in time, like making a strike in bowling for the 1st time. It isn't going to happen quickly in this game, the land of hard knocks and testing oneself is on full display. Some people don't give up on anything they try, others don't try and continue to keep on, some become their own worse enemy. Pat Fleming (accu-stats) quit years ago, and he could hang with most any great player in 14.1. He quit, I asked em why? He told me he found his person was sooooooooooo hard on himself, when he made a simple mistake and lost, when he could of easily won.....that drove him to quit.

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Do both.
btw - most losses doesn't make you the worst.

Where do you live and which league?

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Everybody has to be something...
Your always in the top 3 on this forum.
Keep your head down.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Sounds like a lot of encouragement.

I guess I was overconfident signing up for league thinking I'd dominate.

But seeing how much I lose makes me think I am not ready for the competition level.

Thanks for the tips all. Whatever happens, I just plan on shooting better pool.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think the worst player on the MC team is second guessing if he should play ,,
It's no different for him than it is for just a higher level , they have to strengthen thier game just as you do and that takes a honest understanding of your game and what needs to improve , in both cases it takes a lot a practice although for you to improve is much easier since the room for improvement is much larger
First thing I would do is seek out a instructor and save yourself a whole lot of time trying to figure things out yourself

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I'd just try and get better.

What kind of a league are you playing? Why did you think you'd dominate?

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Practicing alone built my confidence up way too much.

Well going back to playing only alone will probably have the same result when you get into something with competition. At least with league you get to know the other players, their strengths and weaknesses, and allows you to think about how to get better.

I was never a league player, but the room I grew up in had a lot of action and good tournaments.Started playing leagues last year, and enjoy it. Wish I hadn't of missed a day being sick, knocked me out of the points lead, which was my goal at the beginning of the session. I like to set a goal, think it helps me focus.

If you are playing apa, set a goal to move up to the next skill level or higher by the end of the session.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Like others said, it depends on why you are playing league.

Its not going to be the highest level of play, but you'll likely have plenty of good competition. It can be a long evening, but depending on the scenario, you might get a lot of practice against different opponents, which is different than solo practice.

The social aspect is self explanatory. Some leagues are great this way (ours is), while I understand thats not always the case everywhere. I truly enjoy seeing my friends on pool night, friends that I hadnt met till I (and they) joined the league. Not everyone is into this social aspect, I grant you.

Why not do the home practice AND league?

Good luck to you.

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
Do both.
btw - most losses doesn't make you the worst.

Where do you live and which league?

What he said...both!

Pay attention to particular shots that you missed or position routes that you had trouble with in your matches, and then practice those afterwards on your own. If you have anyone reputable around, it would be worth it to pony up for a lesson or two as well if you really want to improve. If not that, maybe a better player on your team would be willing to work with you some? I know I'm always happy to try and help my teammates with anything pool-related.

But to add onto Celophane's point, just because you have the most losses doesn't mean you're the worst. A lot of this game is confidence, and if you don't give yourself a chance mentally, the results on the table will reflect that.

Most importantly, have fun!

-Brian

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practicing alone built my confidence up way too much.

Hence read my above post ,, I came into league after basically 10 yr lay off I did ok starting as a 5 went to a 6 where I lost 14 straight matches now back in those days there was no dumping you put your best up on their best I grew up honest effort I don't want to say what they called a safe when I grew up let's just say it was not favorable,

I hit the grind big time playing for money against better players and working on every aspect of my game 2 sessions later I lost in the final to go to Vegas my price was locked in 7 lifetime , won one match in 4 innings is what turned that trick

I will say I had played a whole lot of pool for money when I was younger but the pressure of league play far exceeded that winning for yourself is one thing winning for a team is another matter ,, it takes awhile to adjust and just play your game

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I think I have 11 out of 120 possible points this session so far. I'm probable the 6 or 7th best shot in my league too. So my team is so far out of winning get anything at this point I might as well continue to dominate at loosing.

objekt404

Registered
I think I have 11 out of 120 possible points this session so far. I'm probable the 6 or 7th best shot in my league too. So my team is so far out of winning get anything at this point I might as well continue to dominate at loosing.

Sounds like my Black Sheep, 2 weeks in & already buried in points. We also have 2 newish players that are still getting into the team rythym & lost a strong 4. Kinda like the movie was titled "Any Given Sunday".