I'm quitting APA😞..Lost the local APA Championship last night

WTF??? You're 1 level above him and he gets a 10 ball spot? How the hell does that work? I've never played APA(looks like i never will either).

A 10 ball spot is not that big of a spot. It is basically just 1 rack of 9 ball (because the 9 is worth 2 points, I think). Think of it like me (an 8) going to 6 games, and you (a 7) going to 5 games. It is not that big of a deal, even if the other player should be an even match. I never liked the APA. Way too boring for me.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Don't be so hard on yourself. Sure, you lost the championship and let your team members down. Sure, they think you're lower than whale shit, but hey, somebody had to do it. Right?
I mean, what if there was another guy on your team who had screwed it all up, instead of you, only this guy was so mentally unstable that the humiliation of it all drove him to step out in front of a crosstown bus. Think about it. You saved a life, my friend. You're a hero. Now get back out there with a double Scotch in one hand and your I-Phone in the other and stink it up again.
You owe me one. :cool:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Ive played league off and on since 2010 and some of my most memorable matches were the ones where I beat a sandbagger in an important match. One time I was in cities playing a 5 that was clearly underrated. My team put me up first, in the blind, and the other team put him up, their best sandbagged player. He got soooooo pissed when I proceeded to beat him 5-0. By the end of the match he was slamming balls. We started arguing because he was trying to slug me so I couldn't B&R and I wouldn't accept his racks and keep asking for a rerack. When he started giving me crap about this, I remember telling him...."It just sucks doesn't it? Spending all year sandbagging every week, just so you can get to cities and get beat like this. I still want a good rack though." His captain ended up racking the balls because his player had gone totally on tilt by then.

Ive also been on the other end and gotten beat bad by a sandbagger. At the 8b APA national event a 4 beat me one match 2-0 in 1 inning. He finished me off with one of the greatest shots I saw played against our team the whole trip, and we played alot of matches with our team ending up 3rd that trip. To win the match, the 4 B&R a difficult rack and finished it with a very difficult bank on the 8 where he couldnt see alot of the 8, was 6 feet from it and he had to shoot the 8 through a maze of balls where it didn't appear the 8 went. He managed to get it go because the cut back nature of his bank changed the return angle coming off the rail and he squeezed it through. Sometimes you just gotta smile and shake your opponents hand and congratulate them for really bringing it in like that under real duress. Myself I would always rather get beat like that then it be some sorry ass affair where I sh!t all over myself and dogged it off to lose.

To the OP, don't take it so personal that you got beat by a sandbagger. There are still so many good moments waiting for you in future league play. Don't give up on those moments because of this one frustrating moment.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After playing apa for 6 years now and have also played bcal...napa and several money leagues I admit sandbagging does exist. But I believe " sandbagger " is brought up way too often.....to make some one feel better about their loss in a match.

I have been called a sandbagger way too many times to count....complained about to my team mates...to their team.mates...calls to the lo complaining about me ...amd even to my face.

The most ludicrous accusation came from another 5 on 9 ball tri cups that lost to me 38-37.. Yea that right...i won ny one friggin point and he complained to his captain that I was not really a 5.

Here is another example of how loosely that term is thrown out there.

I played in an 8 ball team cash apa tournament last weekend. It consisted of 14 teams with a 340.00 entry fee and first place paid 4,200.00..with that kind of money on the line you know no one was holding back and every one was shooting their ass off.

During the 2nd round our 5 beat a 7/9 by 3-2. Their 4 beat our 7/8 by 2-1. We went on to win that round.

We later faced that team again in the losers bracket. I faced their 4 who had beat our 7/8 the first time we faced them by 4-1. I was standing nearby after my match and overheard the scorekeeper of that team complaint to the lo about our other 5's handicap who had beaten their 7/9 earlier. At the time our other 5 who she was complaining about was in the middle of gettin his ass handed to him losing 4-1 to her brother who is also a 5.

I thought it funny as hell that she was complaining about a 5 winning 3-2 again their 7 bit said nothing at all about their 4 beating our 7/8 by 2-1 .

It just goes to show you that the term sandbagger is throwed around way too often too carelessly.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
@Bca 8ball I did fly the cue off the table TWICE and I did scratch on the break once also!! �� So those 3 times may account for my loss!!

3 ball in hands would accout for the loss. Stick with it and just have fun.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been there done that. Played 3 nights a week in leagues for years back when it was the "Busch Pool League" when I was young. Was a 7 for a number of years before I quit due to work commitments and growing tired of playing on teams that were more focused on the social aspect of the evening and not always giving it their all to win. I'm a competitive guy and it gets frustrating but that's the way it is. I recently retired and was asked by a number of folks to play again and I'm again playing three nights a week as a 7. I am practicing and shooting more than ever now and probably playing my best ever. I just play my best and try to offer coaching when asked and not let it bother me as much. Some people live for the game and others it's just a social thing, with others falling in the middle. It's still frustrating when you play a guy that's your speed easily and you have to spot him game(s) or balls. If he does beat you, he knows deep down he should be handicapped higher.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I DO NOT believe a SL 5 is running 6-7 balls out of 9 on a regular basis!!

I'm a crappy SL5 and I can do it upon occasion. 5-6 balls regularly. Most of the SL5's that I know are capable of doing so.

The difference between us and the 7's, 8's and 9's is that they do that far more frequently, and rarely leave themselves in bad shape. We 5's usually have to come back with a tough shot to continue the run because we don't get the better shape as often.

You gave an SL7 ball in hand 3 times. Most folks don't survive that. No matter how good they are.

And with the "their whole team sandbags...." Please. The most overused statement about APA, ever. And the most inaccurate. Sure, there are some folks who try and sandbag, but they system keeps up with them pretty much. Some get away with it. But it's FAR from as prevalent as folks would have you believe. The fact of the matter is that most league players simply aren't consistent enough. We'll have a great night, then a poor night. We rarely shoot the same week in, week out.

You are correct on one point. Many lower level players aren't interested in spending the time necessary to improve. To them, league is a night out with friends. And there is nothing wrong with that. Some might take some suggestions, some might not. Most won't practice. And again, that's ok. If you are looking for a higher level of play across the majority of the league, you need to find another league that caters to that. APA doesn't try to do that, its right up front that APA is designed for beginners to be able to participate.

Hang in there, and have fun. If it isn't fun, stop.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 ball in hands would accout for the loss. Stick with it and just have fun.

I really dont understand the op's complaint. Something fishy about his story.

Stop and think about it. He gives a 7....one handicap lower than him....bih on 3 of his breaks. The 7 wins but the op manages to stay within 3 points of the 7 at the end of the match ? I dont buy it at all.

Either that 7 was dumping and playing just good enough to win or the op is a helluva lot better than an 8 and plays well enough to keep it within 3 points after giving his opponent.....who is just one level below him 3 bih's .

Like I said...the 7 should have murdered him with 3 ball in hands after the break.

PoolChump

Banned
It kind of sounds like when somebody leaves Scientology

Last night my team lost the local 9ball APA championship. Tied 2-2. Went to the 5th and final match and we lost. I'm NOT upset we lost but because of TWO other factors:
1) Some lower ranked players are not open to learning. They get upset because you called a timeout and things like that. That is not a winning team environment!!
2) Sandbagging. 😤😤 I am a 7 in eight ball and an 8 in 9 ball. Last night I played a guy who I am equal to in terms of skill level. However I am ranked as an 8 he is ranked as a 7 😒. So I had to spot him 10 balls!! 😩 HE DEFINITELY IS AN 8 AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!! 💯 I am not 10 balls better than him nor is he 10 balls better than me. However they have a complete sandbagging team. So it was a 65-55 race.When it was all said and done when he got to his 55 balls I had 58!! 😤😤😤

It kind of sounds like when somebody leaves Scientology. :confused::eek::boring2:

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The worst thing has to be the beginners that don't want to improve ���� Or just won't take constructive criticism

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The worst thing has to be the beginners that don't want to improve ���� Or just won't take constructive criticism

I agree that its frustrating she lower level players appear unwilling to take advice. However that's not the worst thing .

The worst is definitely people who cry sandbagger when they lose.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I agree that its frustrating she lower level players appear unwilling to take advice. However that's not the worst thing .

The worst is definitely people who cry sandbagger when they lose.

Ding ding ding, winner!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Then there should be a series of matches.

A handicap match, and then a regular format match.

The winner should be decided differently.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A
WTF??? You're 1 level above him and he gets a 10 ball spot? How the hell does that work? I've never played APA(looks like i never will either).

I am gonna try to put it in terms you van understand. Apa 9 ball is a points based game where each ball is worth one point with the 9 worth two for a total of 10 points a rack.

The 7 goes to 55 points and the 8 goes to 65 points. The difference is 10 points which is exactly one rack. Your post seem to indicate that is an outlandish spot which is quite the opposite.

The combined total of points needed between the 8 and 9 is 120 which equals 12 racks . 10 point spot over 12 racks comes to less than i ball a rack...not an outlandish spot as you thought.

I still say his story does not jive. Any 7 worth his salt should be able to run a rack starting with big...or at least shoot until he van play a decent safe and perhaps get bih again and then running out.

I find it hard to believe that the op basically gave his opponent the opportunity to make 30 unanswered points that can play well enough to get spotted one ball a rack and only lose by 3 balls at the end of 12 racks.

Like I said earlier...i am only a 5 and several weeks ago a 7 did the exact same thing the op did. I was given bih 3 times after the 7 broke and I made him pay by winning 38-22.

I just dont buy the op's story.....unless the 7 was dumping and only played good enough to win by 3 points.

Regardless....you just cant give a decent player 3 bih's after the break and still expect to win your match.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA not true 9 ball but more like a points game,.
APA rules on break ,no push after plus scratch on break or leave table BIH .
on a barbox valley big pockets 7 ' table like
a pro once told me at VF everybody plays great on them tables!
You need to play good, break good and get some roles!
shit happens?
Point 2 I do not think you can give lessons usually during a match?

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA not true 9 ball but more like a points game,.
APA rules on break ,no push after plus scratch on break or leave table BIH .
on a barbox valley big pockets 7 ' table like
a pro once told me at VF everybody plays great on them tables!
You need to play good, break good and get some roles!
shit happens?
Point 2 I do not think you can give lessons usually during a match?

Was waiting for some omw to point out that spa 9 ball is not "real " 9 ball lol..yes you are correct.

But then again bcapl 8 ball is also a points based game ....at the local level. So I guess its not real 8 ball although it is played in what every one points out....a league for serious pool players.

Biggest difference between the 2 points based games is that in. Apa....all balls dropped due to a foul are considered dead and thus no points are awarded to the shooter.

In bcapl 8 ball you can pocket a ball of your suit on a foul and still be awarded that point..just cant understand that rule. :confused:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Barbox APA 9ball, there really isnt much difference between a 6, 7 or 8.

Congrats on quitting... after a year or 2 of playing outside of pool league (should you continue to shoot) you will regret not having quit sooner.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right on Tramp

Don't be so hard on yourself. Sure, you lost the championship and let your team members down. Sure, they think you're lower than whale shit, but hey, somebody had to do it. Right?
I mean, what if there was another guy on your team who had screwed it all up, instead of you, only this guy was so mentally unstable that the humiliation of it all drove him to step out in front of a crosstown bus. Think about it. You saved a life, my friend. You're a hero. Now get back out there with a double Scotch in one hand and your I-Phone in the other and stink it up again.
You owe me one. :cool:

Do this next time. Get someone to make a small to medium bet on the other team. That
way if you win and get the big trophy it will be a small price to pay, if you dog it again at
least the money you won will take a little of the sting out of being the goat. No need to
thank me.
jack