Mark Wilson Stands Down as Mosconi Cup Captain

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/mark-wilson-stands-united-states-captain/
December 22, 2016
MARK WILSON STANDS DOWN AS UNITED STATES CAPTAIN
FOLLOWING THREE YEARS at the helm of the USA Mosconi Cup side, Mark Wilson has stood down as captain after the recent heavy defeat at the Alexandra Palace, London. Wilson was appointed in January 2014 following a run of defeats and was in charge of all team affairs for the next three Mosconi Cups, all of which resulted in losses.

Commented Wilson; “The three year record speaks for itself and while it is personally painful and deeply disappointing, it is the reality. Sport is about winning and a philosophy change is due when the scoreboard reflects a team’s shortcomings.

“Despite the pain of losing there have been victories towards building the sport and I hold no regrets in terms of the efforts, support, and direction chosen. The tremendous individual people and businesses that have shared the vision and contributed wilfully to create a brighter future for billiards all have my deepest gratitude.

“I completely respect the opportunity afforded me to be part of the best event that our sport has to offer. All of us look forward to the day that Team USA reclaims the Mosconi Cup.”

Matchroom Sport Chairman Barry Hearn said, “I’d like to go on record to thank Mark and his team for all the hard work they put in to try and turn American fortunes around in the Mosconi Cup. Mark is a man of great integrity and has a deep passion for the sport and it is a personal disappointment to me that the results didn’t come for him.”

Matchroom Sport hopes to announce new leadership details in the New Year.

Very nice words from Mark Wilson.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I disagree with the point of your post, but I want to single out this line. Do you really think this is true? Europe has Ouschan, the reigning World Nine-ball Champion; Feijen, World 9-ball Champion two years ago; Appleton, former 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, and Chinese 8-ball World Champion; Shaw, former World Blackball (8-ball) champion.

What tournaments, let alone World Championships, have any of the US players other than SVB won? Dechaine and Bergman are widely considered the next best (after SVB) US players - what have they won? A couple of $2500-added bar table events in the Midwest each year?

I think many of us are in denial about the state of our American players. They're simply not as good as the European players. Coaches, break rules, venues, none of it changes that basic fact.

I agree with this. People tend to underestimate or underrate players they don't know and many North American are unfamiliar with much of the Euro squad.

Other than SVB, no one else on team USA is a favourite over Daz, Shaw or Niels or probably Albin in a tournament format - they might be even money against them at the very highest. That's no disrespect to the US team - the Euro team is just very strong.

That said, the American team did not play their best and if they did and had put the pressure on the Euros, things might have been very different.

There is no way possible to become a "team" by playing together for a day before the event. All this talk of team is just insane.

Does football, basketball, baseball start practice the day before season starts? Crazy talk
Jason

Do they really only practice 1 day together? I assumed that they would have at least a few months to practice together as a team. How about choosing next years team a year ahead of time, and then have a trainer train them together for an entire year? Get on a fitness and nutrition system. A year long pool camp, lol. Silly idea?

According to Mark's Facebook post, it certainly sounds like Matchroom replaced him (and not that he decided to resign).

That said, I can't say that I disagree that a new captain is in order. Sometimes you just have to fire the coach/manager to shake up the team or change the chemistry, even when they are a great coach/manager.

Wilson did not seem very positive about his team. I think he said something like "I just hope we do not suck". The captain should be more positive about his team.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Do they really only practice 1 day together? I assumed that they would have at least a few months to practice together as a team. How about choosing next years team a year ahead of time, and then have a trainer train them together for an entire year? Get on a fitness and nutrition system. A year long pool camp, lol. Silly idea?

They live hundreds to thousands of miles apart, not gonna happen - EVER! Not to mention they are all very competitive against eachother all year.

There's no easy answer here, although I don't think the "team" aspect is that important - quit missing balls, learn how to break, and tighten up safetys and the "team" part will take care of itself.
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Wilson did not seem very positive about his team. I think he said something like "I just hope we do not suck". The captain should be more positive about his team.

How many times does somebody have to point out why he said that? Jesus
Jason

Btw, they failed the "not sucking" part

That's the point. If the players can beat the Team Europe players in other formats, then WHY are they missing shots and playing bad safeties only in this format?

EDIT: I think that in this high pressure format, a sport's psychologist type might help more than anything. And we all heard Mark say at the beginning of the tournament that they will, "Just try not to suck". I'm no psychology expert, but I would think that this type of attitude is exactly the wrong type of perception that the coach should be communicating to the players if they want to win.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Why would Mark Wilson say something like that? The team at least needs a couch that is very positive about their team, like the European team captain (who had a very positive attitude).

Next years captain does not matter, the players do.

It is past due that Matchroom admits the USA cannot do it alone and and least adds Canada to create Team America so that Alex and Morra can get on the team.

Team America would "still" be an underdog but at least they could have a chance of making the match close and a glimmer of hope in squeeking off an upset win.

You take off the USA's weakest link and add Alex, one of the best 9-ball players on the planet and you suddenly have a way stronger team and i think it may help SVB shoot way better to have a player like Alex in the mix who can share the "best player on the team" pressure SVB always carries into the event every year.

Yeah, and Alex's attitude would really give the team a more cheerful and positive attitude I think. And Morra would be great for the team too. He is such a solid and mentally strong player, I think.

The ratio of misses was more like 3:2 than 3:1, i.e., something like 50% more rather than 200% more. But that result naturally leads one to ask why did Team USA miss more often. Did they just feel more nervous? Are they simply poorer cueists than Team Europe, with weaker fundamentals? Perhaps some of that. But, as sjm has pointed out so well, the culprits included relative deficiencies in pattern play and defensive play, leading to more difficult shots.

The Europe team are just a much stronger, mentally strong, and solid team I think. The US was just out gunned, and I think Europe had a stronger fighting spirit. I think they also took the contest a lot more seriously. I would like to edit out Bergman and Woodward though (they have a winning spirit, and are very solid, and fearless on the pool table). The US team needs more players like Bergman and Woodward in order to win, I think. Just my opinion.

While for the most part I agree with you sir, meaning years one and two under Mr. Wilson, but those opening ceremony remarks of "trying not to suck" didn't exactly exude class or respect in my humble and patriotic opinion.

Yeah, I do not understand why he was thinking that way, and then to speak that thought out loud to the reporter. Very odd.

Fair point. I don't have access to all of the matches where a combination of these players ran into each other in recent tournaments, but I think that even Justin indicated after losing a match that he would play Mark Gray all games every day of his life, or something like that. It seems like the players would agree that it was the format that was the main problem.

Yeah, Bergman also stated that he really wants to play Albin even (9 ball or 10 ball, I forget).

The US just needs more players like Bergman and Woodward on the team. Young players with a lot of fire in them, who are fearless, and full of confidence.

This should not be a popularity contest.

The coach needs to understand the psychology of winning.
At this level, the players have the physical game - the mental toughness needs to improved.
A coach must be respected, and he must have a hammer.
I think the coach MUST be selected early- and have input (or awareness) of who will be on the US team.
The coach must get the team together for TEAM practice. Plus mandatory breaking drills (9ball on spot).

I've got a few thoughts on this.............

Mark griffin

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The team should be chosen a year (or so) early, and then train together (as a team) that entire year.

Agreed.
Jason

I was really impressed with how good Shaw played in that last match of the Mosconi Cup. He is such an awesome player.

Bergman may not be able to beat him right now (I do not know), but I imagine that Bergman would not be scared to play him even again. This is why I think the team needs 3 more players just like Bergman and Woodward. Because they are fearless, and very solid players. And because I think they have a lot more fire in them (to win) then the other 3 players on the team had.

They live hundreds to thousands of miles apart, not gonna happen - EVER! Not to mention they are all very competitive against eachother all year.

There's no easy answer here, although I don't think the "team" aspect is that important - quit missing balls, learn how to break, and tighten up safetys and the "team" part will take care of itself.
Jason

Okay, I understand. I heard that the Euopean team all play on the same league (or tour) in Europe, and they all have great respect for each other, and get along really well together. It is just much different here in the US. The players probably do not get along with each other nearly as much, and if you are team mates with a player that you do not like, then that might affect your winning spirit. I do not know.

How many times does somebody have to point out why he said that? Jesus
Jason

Btw, they failed the "not sucking" part

Other then Bergman and Woodward, I get the feeling that they just did not take the competition seriously. I do not know. Maybe they were just way out gunned, and on top of that, they did not play as good as they should have.