Mark Wilson Stands Down as Mosconi Cup Captain

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.matchroompool.com/news/mark-wilson-stands-united-states-captain/
December 22, 2016
MARK WILSON STANDS DOWN AS UNITED STATES CAPTAIN
FOLLOWING THREE YEARS at the helm of the USA Mosconi Cup side, Mark Wilson has stood down as captain after the recent heavy defeat at the Alexandra Palace, London. Wilson was appointed in January 2014 following a run of defeats and was in charge of all team affairs for the next three Mosconi Cups, all of which resulted in losses.

Commented Wilson; “The three year record speaks for itself and while it is personally painful and deeply disappointing, it is the reality. Sport is about winning and a philosophy change is due when the scoreboard reflects a team’s shortcomings.

“Despite the pain of losing there have been victories towards building the sport and I hold no regrets in terms of the efforts, support, and direction chosen. The tremendous individual people and businesses that have shared the vision and contributed wilfully to create a brighter future for billiards all have my deepest gratitude.

“I completely respect the opportunity afforded me to be part of the best event that our sport has to offer. All of us look forward to the day that Team USA reclaims the Mosconi Cup.”

Matchroom Sport Chairman Barry Hearn said, “I’d like to go on record to thank Mark and his team for all the hard work they put in to try and turn American fortunes around in the Mosconi Cup. Mark is a man of great integrity and has a deep passion for the sport and it is a personal disappointment to me that the results didn’t come for him.”

Matchroom Sport hopes to announce new leadership details in the New Year.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I am just curious ever wonder what might happen if a coach was brought in from another sport. almost ever sport requires team work. Pool is one of the few that's individual.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
I nominate Mike Page for USA Mosconi Cup Captain. I personally think Mark Wilson did a great job, it's unfortunate that he is stepping down.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am just curious ever wonder what might happen if a coach was brought in from another sport. almost ever sport requires team work. Pool is one of the few that's individual.
I think that most sports taught in grade/high school in the US are team sports probably with a main goal of socializing the students. Looking at this though, it seems that sports are roughly evenly divided and some sports, like athletics, are a mixture of team (relay) and individual events.

But as far as your main point, I think it might help to have a new approach, but in the current situation the new guy would have to hit the ground sprinting. Also, he would have to get up to speed on actual techniques if he was going to do more than be a cheerleader. I suspect a more conservative approach will be used.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USA can't get there with our current players, if God himself was our coach. The only chance we have, is to have Wilson or someone else, find the best 15 yr olds in the country, and spend the next 5 years with them. Make that the team. We would still lose the next 4 years, until these kids were ready.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe Barry Hearn can start a scouting system in the USA. Find the 10 year old kids that don't play pool, but have a knack for the game. Offer some sort of tryouts, to get on TV. The kids that show promise, send them to Wilson, and train them.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe Barry Hearn can start a scouting system in the USA. Find the 10 year old kids that don't play pool, but have a knack for the game. Offer some sort of tryouts, to get on TV. The kids that show promise, send them to Wilson, and train them.

Seems like a lot of work just for a chance at winning 20k

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like a lot of work just for a chance at winning 20k

Yes, true. The whole reason we suck on an international level is the same reason all the pool halls are closing. No new blood is coming into this game. No one knows how to fix that.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There is no way possible to become a "team" by playing together for a day before the event. All this talk of team is just insane.

Does football, basketball, baseball start practice the day before season starts? Crazy talk
Jason

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a feeling there's always a choice made behind the scenes, thanks to this forum.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Babble banter bicker brouhaha" -belew

I hope this was wilsons plan, to gove it a quick shot.

Tuff position to be play, captain of highly unlikely.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Mark's Facebook post, it certainly sounds like Matchroom replaced him (and not that he decided to resign).

That said, I can't say that I disagree that a new captain is in order. Sometimes you just have to fire the coach/manager to shake up the team or change the chemistry, even when they are a great coach/manager.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Mark's Facebook post, it certainly sounds like Matchroom replaced him (and not that he decided to resign).

That said, I can't say that I disagree that a new captain is in order. Sometimes you just have to fire the coach/manager to shake up the team or change the chemistry, even when they are a great coach/manager.

The problem is that each year, the team is different.

Also, the Americans don't seem to like each other. There's a lot of infighting, big egos, and jealousy. And some are just plain tired of the politics and want to shoot pool. Everybody wants to win, but they want to win it on their terms, not as a team.

The coach has already been chosen, and I can predict who it is just by reading this forum in recent times.

The power of the written word.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, the Americans don't seem to like each other. There's a lot of infighting, big egos, and jealousy. And some are just plain tired of the politics and want to shoot pool. Everybody wants to win, but they want to win it on their terms, not as a team.

I didn't notice a lot of that this year, everyone seemed to be rooting for each other. They were more subdued that the Europe team, but they were also losing.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw was on Facebook saying how he and Daz suggested Jeremy Jones to Matchroom

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
We can only hope that the next coach of Team USA presents American pool to the world with the class and dignity that Mark Wilson always did. Personally, I think it's a very tall order.

Thanks for all your hard work, Coach Wilson.