Which cue would you buy?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want a cue that's a little flashier than my usual natural wood players and sneaky petes. I've got a cheap budget ($400) and am specifically looking for a production cue.

My current cue is a Steve Klapp cocobolo plane jane with a katana shaft (12.5mm).
I have become accustomed to a 12-12.5mm shaft, which is a small issue with a few of these options as they only come with 13mm standard.

Here are the finalists...

#1. Meucci Skylar Woodward Barbox 1
Price: $366
- free swap for Pro shaft (12.5)
- swapping pin for 3/8 x 10
http://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-pool-cue-swbb-1.htm

#2. Fury FUCJ03
Price: $418
- 13mm
http://www.budgetcues.com/fury-pool-cue-fucj03.htm

#3. Joss JOS55
Price: $399
-13mm
http://www.budgetcues.com/joss-pool-cue-jos55.htm

#4. Katana KAT07
Price: $431
12.5mm (oh so sweet)
http://www.budgetcues.com/katana-pool-cue-kat07.htm

Thanks for the input!

You need to wait for justinb386 to post, then you will have the real deal about picking a cue to get.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Joss is ahead by an overwhelming margin. I wonder how the tables would turn if I posted a Schon, Joss, Peuchar, and Mezz?

I've eliminated the Fury and Katana from my picks. The Meucci and SOME Joss somewhere are still on the table. The Meucci hangs on because the pro shaft and pin swap is good value (if it doesn't split in halve on the first hit), and it's ugly!

Another thing to note - I've never owned a cue with a metal joint, and I mainly shoot with wrapless. BUT - I'm open to change on this one.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a McDermott in the mix also? looks like you wanted a 3/8x10 on the Meucci and McDs have them standard.

There are so many designs that it's tough to pick.

This is an interesting mix of classic points/diamond inlays with some modern points and design http://www.mcdermottcue.com/g433.php

I have seen this model in person at SBE, I liked how it looked http://www.mcdermottcue.com/g609.php

This, as classic a design as you can get really http://www.mcdermottcue.com/g502.php

I just picked up a McD for my son as a second cue to get a different feel, the guys at the booth were great with him spending 30 minutes there swapping out shafts between models and his cue to test things out.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Joss is ahead by an overwhelming margin. I wonder how the tables would turn if I posted a Schon, Joss, Peuchar, and Mezz?

I've eliminated the Fury and Katana from my picks. The Meucci and SOME Joss somewhere are still on the table. The Meucci hangs on because the pro shaft and pin swap is good value (if it doesn't split in halve on the first hit), and it's ugly!

Another thing to note - I've never owned a cue with a metal joint, and I mainly shoot with wrapless. BUT - I'm open to change on this one.

If you have never owned a steel collared joint I say get one.

I have heard many people say that a steel collar joint makes a cue hit stiffer or harder. Well, if that is true you can not prove it by me. Personally I can not tell the difference between any joint -- none at all.

In fact, I would be willing to bet - imagine that - that if I took a handful of cues with the same shaft and tip, all with different joints, that the shooter would not be able to tell the difference between one cue or the other.

Now there is a difference - and that difference is the heavier weight of the steel collared joint. This 'real' difference results in a more forward balance cue given all other factors are equal. I prefer a forward balance and a steel collared joint is one way to get there.

Bottom line -- Steel collared joints are old school cool, and they have been battle tested for many years.

Good rolls.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have never owned a steel collared joint I say get one.

I have heard many people say that a steel collar joint makes a cue hit stiffer or harder. Well, if that is true you can not prove it by me. Personally I can not tell the difference between any joint -- none at all.

In fact, I would be willing to bet - imagine that - that if I took a handful of cues with the same shaft and tip, all with different joints, that the shooter would not be able to tell the difference between one cue or the other.

Now there is a difference - and that difference is the heavier weight of the steel collared joint. This 'real' difference results in a more forward balance cue given all other factors are equal. I prefer a forward balance and a steel collared joint is one way to get there.

Bottom line -- Steel collared joints are old school cool, and they have been battle tested for many years.

Good rolls.

There is a difference, just did this yesterday at SBE with my son and his OB shaft. His horn joint cue and three different McDermott cues with different collars, all 3/8x10, all had a different hit feel. It took him a bit of time going back and forth between cues to decide on what hit he liked.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a McDermott in the mix also? looks like you wanted a 3/8x10 on the Meucci and McDs have them standard.

There are so many designs that it's tough to pick.

This is an interesting mix of classic points/diamond inlays with some modern points and design http://www.mcdermottcue.com/g433.php

I have seen this model in person at SBE, I liked how it looked http://www.mcdermottcue.com/g609.php

This, as classic a design as you can get really http://www.mcdermottcue.com/g502.php

I just picked up a McD for my son as a second cue to get a different feel, the guys at the booth were great with him spending 30 minutes there swapping out shafts between models and his cue to test things out.
I've had plenty of Micky Dees! Just picked up a McDermott Stinger J/B and it's awesome. Great cues, just not what I'm looking for at the moment. Same with Lucasi... I would bet that there are more Lucasis in my local league than any other cue.

Man, that second one is REAL ugly! I like it. lol

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah ... I have been told the same thing by other folks before ... I am not saying they can not feel a difference, but perhaps that difference is in their head's? Or perhaps I can not feel much of anything and that explains it?

I will give you an example -- I own a steel collared McDermott, one of the best cues I have ever played. I also own an older full spliced Maple into Rosewood Sneaky with no collar - a true wood to wood joint. Now those joints are about as different as you can get. I play the same shafts and tips with them both of course - And I can not tell the difference in the way they hit.

So that is how it is for me, there is no question we are all different.

Good luck and shoot straight.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member

That would be interesting. I've played with a Schon before (never owned), and liked the hit. I'm going to go with a Mezz, though. I like the look of the EC-7 in cocobolo, and I hear that the hit is similar, but what I really like is the adjustable weighting and the thinner shaft diameter. There are Mezz cues in the EC-7 line that can be had for under $400.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see no Mezz in there? They should run around 400 and they do have flashier designs, too.

NO FURY! Their shafts are crap and nowhere near a proper LD one!

Katana sure are of good quality and you're already playing their shaft...

Wouldn't ever go Joss or Meucci, sorry.

Cheers,
M

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you like wrapless and a big pin joint I would give Dominiak a look. He makes exceptional hitting, high quality semi-custom cues.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see no Mezz in there? They should run around 400 and they do have flashier designs, too.

Cheers,
M

Nice! I know nothing about Fury either, so good to know. As far as Katana goes, I almost feel like I owe them a cue purchase... but the designs are not really my bag. Although, SVB plays a solid white cue, so....

I will shop Mezz and maybe post another round of new finalists.
I understand on Meucci, but why are you out on Joss?

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing know one has mentioned is that joint diameters are usually .845-.855 on cues with a 3/8 x 10 joint. 5/6 x 14 and 5/16 x 18 cues are .830.

If you have that Meucci changed to 3/8 x 10 your Katana shaft will not match up.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

Cheers,
M

Actually - I'd really like to try a Mezz. (and a Jacoby). Just now getting out to meet some of the locals ... we'll see what I can come up with.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing know one has mentioned is that joint diameters are usually .845-.855 on cues with a 3/8 x 10 joint. 5/6 x 14 and 5/16 x 18 cues are .830.

If you have that Meucci changed to 3/8 x 10 your Katana shaft will not match up.
To be honest, that really takes the jelly out of my donut this morning. Thanks for pointing that out, though. I do have another Katana shaft that is either 5/6 x 14 or 5/16 x 18, but regardless, I wouldn't be able to use Meucci Pro shaft on my Steve Klapp.

If I don't change the pin, the Meucci is only $331 with a Pro shaft that retails for $260.

Meanwhile, I did stumble on this sweet Mezz that destroys my budget
http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mezz-cues-natural-maple-with-points-zza153.html

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice! I know nothing about Fury either, so good to know.
I understand on Meucci, but why are you out on Joss?

I'm sorry, I did a huge mistake.
I mixed up Fury and Viking - I was talking about Viking's shaft that is just bad LD-wise; I think it was the "older" Vicore, definately not the Exactshot.

For Joss, they are just too classic for me (which is diplomatic speak for old technology and approaches). I played an old one of upper middle class a while ago, a bit beaten up. Joint was far too loose and squeeked, feeling was very dead and not solid.
Lastly, their homepage really is not nice to get information from.

Cheers,
M