Schon Cues

mtank79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping that the majority of schon' s new cues are excellent especially the one I ordered last week.

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon

Frank,good luck with your decision,the older schons were used by quite a few players in the early nineties,don't know much about the new Schons on today's market. You may want to consider a Runde cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as "production" cues go Mezz cues are way nicer than current Schons. Hate to knock a U.S.-built product but all i can go by is my own two eyes. I've yet to see a Mezz that wasn't flawlessly put together. Their basic sub-$400 merrywidows are one of,if not the,best deals out there right now. I've heard that the new Schon mngmt. is going to really step-up their QC. Let's hope so, its a great company with a lot of history.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as "production" cues go Mezz cues are way nicer than current Schons. Hate to knock a U.S.-built product but all i can go by is my own two eyes. I've yet to see a Mezz that wasn't flawlessly put together. Their basic sub-$400 merrywidows are one of,if not the,best deals out there right now. I've heard that the new Schon mngmt. is going to really step-up their QC. Let's hope so, its a great company with a lot of history.
Mezz' look sharp. The only reason I bought the Schon's are for the Hoppe Tribute bumperless.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

Are they going to consult with Dale Perry, as well?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are they going to consult with Dale Perry, as well?

I have a DP from 2000. It's a well made quality cue. I have 3 DP Ebays. Gave one away, the other 2 are self destructing. Rings lifting, acrylic cracking. Shafts made of balsa wood.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I have a DP from 2000. It's a well made quality cue. I have 3 DP Ebays. Gave one away, the other 2 are self destructing. Rings lifting, acrylic cracking. Shafts made of balsa wood.

It was a joke, referring to the new direction that OB Cues has gone in. They brought DP in as an operations consultant. I'm waiting to see if their quality slides as well.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was a joke, referring to the new direction that OB Cues has gone in. They brought DP in as an operations consultant. I'm waiting to see if their quality slides as well.

Why wouldn't it. If a makers name is everything DP's slipped to nothing....however he is selling cues. It's sad to see quality shops turn into scrap iron sales.

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
Not sure how old my Schon is.....it is a LTD 1309 and it does have the CNC points. I had a Runde era Schon prior to purchasing this one....it was stolen. When I purchased this one my concern was for the feel/feedback, would it equal or exceed the previous cue. I'm happy to say I am completely satisfied with the build quality.....fit and finish is wonderful.....same solid thud as before. This cue has extensive inlay work as do most LTD's produced by Schon. My cue has been knocked to the floor, ridden in the trunk (in a good case of course).....and has been subject to the bar pool hazards since I have owned it. Not once has it chipped, cracked, warped, or otherwise been harmed. That is my experience and I would gladly buy another Schon.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frank,good luck with your decision,the older schons were used by quite a few players in the early nineties,don't know much about the new Schons on today's market. You may want to consider a Runde cue.

Hey.. I like your cues.

mtank79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received my new Schon on Thursday & I was a little disappointed. Nothing with the fit or feel. I did find one little spot on the forearm that appears to be some glue residue possibly. The reason for my disappointment was in the material. I ordered the STL6 which is supposed to have Bocate points . Mine has ebony, I called seyberts & was told that they talked to Schon & apparently that's how the new STL6's are coming. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to keep it. It's a sharp cue but if I'd wanted ebony i would have ordered the STL5.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I received my new Schon on Thursday & I was a little disappointed. Nothing with the fit or feel. I did find one little spot on the forearm that appears to be some glue residue possibly. The reason for my disappointment was in the material. I ordered the STL6 which is supposed to have Bocate points . Mine has ebony, I called seyberts & was told that they talked to Schon & apparently that's how the new STL6's are coming. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to keep it. It's a sharp cue but if I'd wanted ebony i would have ordered the STL5.
Ahhhh....yes, that did happen to me once. I ordered a Schon from a website where in the pic of the cue, most of the inlays were ivory. When the cue came, it looked good, except for one thing. Apparently Schon started making that model of cue by substituting some of the ivory with stained wood veneers.

The cue had the exact same design, which I liked. So why did I send it back? Because the wood veneers were stained "red", except the red was a light red, which actually looked PINK!

Ahhhh....no, I'm not playing with a PINK cue. :eek:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

If you don't love it..return it. That's the beauty of Seyberts. Sadly it's a hassle returning it and let down that it varies from what you expected.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Curious about the current production cues. I'm looking at another bumper-less Schon. The last one had a flaw...the wrap was not 100% tight in a certain area. Could move it slightly and a gap was obvious. Also bought a 30" Schon shaft with a lot of distracting wood grain. I heard the Schon quality is not the same as it has been. I'd like to hear from people that have bought a new Schon in the past few months. How is the quality. I'm looking for a few reviews before I buy another Schon. Thank you. Frank

Sorry for the late reply - yes, I bought a Schon back in January 2017. I like it, but it's not my favorite to be honest. Very stiff hit to it, and the stock Schon shaft has a LOT of deflection to compensate for. I'd say the quality is very good IMO, and it is a nice stick - it's just not a Joss though.

I got the CX-03:
https://www.seyberts.com/schon-cx-series-cues/schon-cx03-pool-cue/

And like I said - I think it's a great cue - just that I have a few that I like a bit better. Wrap is tight, inlays are solid (albeit rounded tips). If you like Schon cues - I think you'll be happy with a current one.

mtank79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I'm on the fence of returning it and if I do I'm not sure what I would replace it with. I've considered another Mezz. Either the EC7-CM5 or the AXI -154 or 155. Or the predator Roadline with the revo shaft.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yea I'm on the fence of returning it and if I do I'm not sure what I would replace it with. I've considered another Mezz. Either the EC7-CM5 or the AXI -154 or 155. Or the predator Roadline with the revo shaft.

The Schon's I have (H4) are great players. I like the balance...but if I wanted one with a flawed finish I'd buy a used one.
Cannot go wrong with a Predator. The adjustable weight system is a great option. An extension can be added. A Revo shaft will stay clean, straight and nick free for years. Instead of buying the Schon I was looking at I bought a Revo 12.4. If you have other cues the Revo uniloc can be used with an adaptor.

Last edited: