Mental Game

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are some suggestions for books, video or audiobooks to help with the mental game.

Really hoping for some videos or audiobooks.. I seem to learn better that way.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Sports Psyching (https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/sport...euibTzxoCynfw_wcB#isbn=0874771366&idiq=917970)

The Inner Game of Tennis (https://www.audiobooks.com/audioboo...w7-PYq73pUzzG9Kf_Kn04WMiectPJV6zUZRoCHNfw_wcB)

Both of those books were recommended to me by world class foosball players, including a woman who was considered to be in the top few women to ever play the game.

I will say that I find it odd that you want to work on your mental game by taking the easiest mental routes (i.e. not having to read).

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Relax

Relax.

Don't take it so serious when you are not at a pool table.

Do something different to release yourself from pool.

Have fun when you practice and play.

See if you can do the "Basics" naturally without thought.

Feel the energy of the table, the pockets, the balls, your cue, yourself and how they all come together as one living, breathing entity waiting for you to do the dance of billiards.🎱

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
What are some suggestions for books, video or audiobooks to help with the mental game.
How about some apps?

Learn how to breath.
http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/breathe2relax
http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/tactical-breather

Here's a CD or Download that teaches you to breath.
http://www.learnoutloud.com/Catalog/Self-Development/Prayer-and-Meditation/Yoga-Breathing/16424

Online:
I do the one at 9:56 to Shark my opponent.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=biFfR2sZGvA
Breath into your balls, like a Boss.
https://youtu.be/FhJbXPvSDKE

Last edited:

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sports Psyching (https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/sport...euibTzxoCynfw_wcB#isbn=0874771366&idiq=917970)

The Inner Game of Tennis (https://www.audiobooks.com/audioboo...w7-PYq73pUzzG9Kf_Kn04WMiectPJV6zUZRoCHNfw_wcB)

Both of those books were recommended to me by world class foosball players, including a woman who was considered to be in the top few women to ever play the game.

I will say that I find it odd that you want to work on your mental game by taking the easiest mental routes (i.e. not having to read).
IGT +1 you only have to read the first part of the book.

Here is a Cliff Notes of the mental game books I have read and what helps me.

Three things you need to do while at the table are:

1] don't beat yourself up with the inner voice while playing. If you start hearing yourself say things like "why did you miss that shot?" Or "you were stupid to play it that way!" then you are focusing on what you are doing wrong. Same goes for cheering yourself on... "Nice shot man" and "Oh you got lucky there" are going to pull you far away from where you want to be which is the zone. Instead sit there quietly, close your eyes and picture sinking 30 degree cuts over and over again in your minds eye.

2] Don't coach yourself when playing. How would you like it if when u are playing your opponent and on every shot he says "ok now draw back to here so you can have shot on the 2 ball... But not too far back because you don't want to tangle yourself with the 6 ball... watch the six... watch the six... DON'T MISS THE SHOT!" Just quietly look at the shots and shoot them. Do not talk to yourself while doing it. Telling yourself what you are going to do sets you up for inner ridicule if it does not happen.

3] never analyze any previous shots while playing. I know I do this at every tournament... I will be racking the balls thinking "if I wouldn't have over cut the 6 it would have been an easy out from there." Let me tell you something... I have NEVER had an opponent come up to me and say "Hey I noticed you seem to be going over that 6 ball miss while racking the balls... you know what? I feel bad for you and I am going to give you that last game." Not once! You gotta let it go. What helps me is to write the shot down so I can practice it later. If I write it down then my brain says "Ok... We can work on that one later" and it helps put it behind me.

Main thing is to shut down the conscious so the sub conscious can take over. I have only had it happen to me a few times. Luckily a couple of times it was during a tournament. It is an awesome experience. Hopefully the above will help.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Relax.

Don't take it so serious when you are not at a pool table.

Do something different to release yourself from pool.

Have fun when you practice and play.

See if you can do the "Basics" naturally without thought.

Feel the energy of the table, the pockets, the balls, your cue, yourself and how they all come together as one living, breathing entity waiting for you to do the dance of billiards.🎱
hey....i've heard that before. think you gave me that advice cuz of my slump! good stuff

PoppaSaun

Banned
Main thing is to shut down the conscious so the sub conscious can take over. I have only had it happen to me a few times. Luckily a couple of times it was during a tournament. It is an awesome experience. Hopefully the above will help.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

It is something you have to practice, but you already do it all the time, your mind is used to operating this way. For instance, tell me how you drove to work this morning. Really think about it and tell me everything. Sure, you know how you got to work this morning, but do you remember exactly what happened? Which lights did you get caught in? Did some dude turn left in front of you?

Practice having a mantra: Shut up self-one, it is time for self-two.

I quit playing pool for a few years while competing at foosball (where I learned this technique). When I came back to pool, I wasn't as good as when I had left (technically), but I immediately started winning tourneys against people I had been losing to for years.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mind controls all.

There are subliminal hypnosis downloads available specifically for "Winning at Pool" and "Confidence". The nice thing is you don't have to "do" anything. Just play them while on computer doing other stuff and listen to the dumb boring music. The subliminal suggestions to your subconscious do all the work and you won't even be aware it's happening. Inside of a month you'll be astonished at the determined serenity that takes over when you play for stakes. WITHOUT any false bravado or "rah-rah" attitude.
I'd also recommend going on YouTube and watch that German player, Thorsten Hohman, over and over. He is the personification of self control....he may be dying inside, but you can't tell it from his demeanor. Yes, yes, there are better pool shooters, but that isn't the issue. You're interested in the MENTAL game. The mind will control what your body does.
(If you "don't believe in any of this"....................then just ignore this entire post.)
Go get 'em, raise the bet, and good fortune to you! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is something you have to practice, but you already do it all the time, your mind is used to operating this way. For instance, tell me how you drove to work this morning. Really think about it and tell me everything. Sure, you know how you got to work this morning, but do you remember exactly what happened? Which lights did you get caught in? Did some dude turn left in front of you?
Practice having a mantra: Shut up self-one, it is time for self-two.
I quit playing pool for a few years while competing at foosball (where I learned this technique). When I came back to pool, I wasn't as good as when I had left (technically), but I immediately started winning tourneys against people I had been losing to for years.
Absolutely correct!
Great posting.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The easiest Mental Game Approach

The easiest Mentail Game Approach that I've found is if you don't like the shot shoot safe. The easiest two safes are stop and leave it behind a ball and clip the ball you need to and put distance and balls between the cue ball and object ball.

Making yourself do that, requires more than you think but its fairly simple. You have to know your shotmaking limitations.

I came back on a guy who had me 4 racks down in race to 5 on that strategy.

PoppaSaun

Banned
HAMB and play better players. Not everything is complicated.

Providing he is already proficient, $20 in books and a couple of days to read them will get more results for someone who has a mental game issue than the same amount of money and time hambing and playing against good players.

But, some people like you seem to only have one tool. When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Seriously, read The Inner Game of Tennis. It's 134 pages long and you really only need about the first 90-100. Do a simple search on it and you'll find that recently Steve Kerr and Pete Carrol both admitted to using the book and its techniques. Steve Kerr held the 3-pointer shooting percentage records for season and career when he retired.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Providing he is already proficient, $20 in books and a couple of days to read them will get more results for someone who has a mental game issue than the same amount of money and time hambing and playing against good players.

But, some people like you seem to only have one tool. When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Seriously, read The Inner Game of Tennis. It's 134 pages long and you really only need about the first 90-100. Do a simple search on it and you'll find that recently Steve Kerr and Pete Carrol both admitted to using the book and its techniques. Steve Kerr held the 3-pointer shooting percentage records for season and career when he retired.

I have read many especially when I was an avid golfer. I am not one that can take what I read and apply it to action. When it comes to pool, I am a feel player and I think most people learn best by doing. A prospective chef goes to culinary school but gets his knife skills by using a knife. A medical student becomes a proficient doctor by working with patients, etc.
Take any of the great players, past or present, did they get their mental games honed from reading self help books? Certainly the great road players didn't. I realize these guys had outsize natural talent but they developed their games and will to win at the table. I know what works for me and I think we muddy the process by making things more complicated than they really are. Try the aiming forum on this site. This is my opinion and I'm sticking with it. By the way thanks for the shot about the hammer and the nail.

PoppaSaun

Banned
I have read many especially when I was an avid golfer. I am not one that can take what I read and apply it to action. When it comes to pool, I am a feel player and I think most people learn best by doing. A prospective chef goes to culinary school but gets his knife skills by using a knife. A medical student becomes a proficient doctor by working with patients, etc.
Take any of the great players, past or present, did they get their mental games honed from reading self help books? Certainly the great road players didn't. I realize these guys had outsize natural talent but they developed their games and will to win at the table. I know what works for me and I think we muddy the process by making things more complicated than they really are. Try the aiming forum on this site. This is my opinion and I'm sticking with it. By the way thanks for the shot about the hammer and the nail.

I just gave you an example of a great player who said he did use the book to hone his mental game. It wasn't a pool player, it was an actual athlete.

Maybe you were skeptical about it because you had already decided you were a 'feel' player. Anyone who asks these questions obviously has a different opinion about themselves and snide replies like yours aren't helpful.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just gave you an example of a great player who said he did use the book to hone his mental game. It wasn't a pool player, it was an actual athlete.

Maybe you were skeptical about it because you had already decided you were a 'feel' player. Anyone who asks these questions obviously has a different opinion about themselves and snide replies like yours aren't helpful.

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned the hammer and nail thing first. Besides that, I see you are a newcomer. This is an opinion and information forum. You will get all sorts of opinions here because no two of us are exactly alike.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Thanks for your reply. You mentioned the hammer and nail thing first. Besides that, I see you are a newcomer. This is an opinion and information forum. You will get all sorts of opinions here because no two of us are exactly alike.

Actually, I mentioned in my first post that one of the best female foosball players of all time recommended the book to me...personally. This would be similar to Allison Fisher or Mosconi telling you to do something.

Moya was larger than life in the foosball community. She started playing in her twenties, I believe and was a world champion in a few years. She was one of the only female foosers fully capable of playing against any of the top male foosers.

An excerpt from her 'last wish':

Moya Tielens Regan: Born September 9, 1970 Died June 17, 2015

MOYA - eight time World Champion of table soccer ("foosball") was one of the most amazing of human beings. Famous worldwide she was the only woman in over 40 years of professional play to win a major event playing the forward position.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, I mentioned in my first post that one of the best female foosball players of all time recommended the book to me...personally. This would be similar to Allison Fisher or Mosconi telling you to do something.

Moya was larger than life in the foosball community. She started playing in her twenties, I believe and was a world champion in a few years. She was one of the only female foosers fully capable of playing against any of the top male foosers.

An excerpt from her 'last wish':

Moya Tielens Regan: Born September 9, 1970 Died June 17, 2015

MOYA - eight time World Champion of table soccer ("foosball") was one of the most amazing of human beings. Famous worldwide she was the only woman in over 40 years of professional play to win a major event playing the forward position.

Well that alone has changed my mind. I just ordered all of the "mental game" books on Amazon. I will be a world beater in a couple of years. Thanks.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I am not one that can take what I read and apply it to action.
Need we say more.

I think most people learn best by doing.
After instruction. Be it by book, video, online, in person.

A prospective chef goes to culinary school but gets his knife skills by using a knife.
See above answer.

A medical student becomes a proficient doctor by working with patients, etc.
After being instructed. Be it by .........

Take any of the great players, past or present, did they get their mental games honed from reading self help books?
Past Billiards Players? Self-help did not exist.
Would he seek help from fellow players? That's helping oneself.
Modern Billiards Players? Some. CJ Wiley uses Martial Arts Mind Training, Zen and the Art of Pool Book by Max Eberle.
Modern Athletes, Most Definitely, Yes.

I think we muddy the process by making things more complicated than they really are.[/QUOTE]
"Muddy the Process"?
I think most would say "Brings Clarity".
For some it makes things too complicated to practice, observe, analyze, correct.

Last edited: